Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kerr or the players?

• 13-10-2005 12:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭

I've noticed there's a spread here between those who are laying the blame for our WC exit with Kerrs managment and those who are blaming the players
    (either thru thier inability or just indifference).

So could anyone have done a better job than Kerr with these players? Lets hear it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

yes!! I could have!! Kerr has shown that he lacks the management skills at the highest level....we have had a better squad than the one that reached the last world cup and we end up 4th(yes 4th) in a group behind Israel!!

Also remember the Swiss where the worst team in last Euros!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Keano_sli

Defiantley Kerrs fault, The Players can't be changed as we only have a limited pool to choose from so its up to the manager to organise them adn send them out with a game plan.
    Now on last nights evidence the players did not seem to have any plan at all, just lobbing long balls to Morrison, not exactly the best way to go about winning a game.
    Of course the real reason we did not qualify does not rest on last nights game but on lossing two leads to Israel, This is solely down to the managers changes and instructions to the players in both games.
    Now I know we need a change but can't say who would be the best replacement, there is no quick fix unfortunately!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Under previous managers the performance of the team has always been greater than the sum of the parts.

Previous managers got the most of out our poorer players. Kerr didn't. Also some supposedly "good" players (Carr, O'Shea, Robbie Keane) have been pretty shocking throughout the campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

as soon as the players go on to the pitch its up to them to perform but on the other hand its kerr who picks them,both are to blame but undoubtably its kerr who is going to get it in the neck,two major comps and failure.
    as for the point could someone else have done a better job,there is aways someone who would have done better.to be honest i never thought kerr was qualifed for the job in the first place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Kerr, Kerr, Kerr!

The players do have to take responsibility aswell but there are so many endless examples out there which undoubtedly prove that Kerr is the problem.

The squad isn't that much different from the 2002 WC team and anyone who has watched Ireland's performances over the last 2 years will tell you there has been a vast decline since the last world cup. We are playing poor football, we are hoofing, we are not creating many chances. We have finished 4th in the group and that is our worst perfromance in a qualifying campaign in God knows many of years. We are better than this and we deserve a better manager.

Kerr should do the honurable thing and resign ASAP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,045 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Have to blame Kerr alright im afraid, though the players have done themselves no favours. I really cant understand the midfield decisions at all. We have kilbane, the spirit player, shifted out to the left where he is well known to be an absolute joke, O Shea in the middle who has never convinced me at all in that position, Holland, which was fair enough, he didn't perform well but theres not really an option to replace him with ,and then Andy Reid on the right, did ok but has to take it onto his left foot to do anything.

Now, wouldn't it have made much more sense to pretty much everyone if Kilbane (however much i do hate him) was kept in midfield where at least he runs around and disrupts things against lesser teams, alongside Holland (again lack of options). And for the wings? Well Andy Reid is left footed and surely would have been more sense on the left since were lacking duff, with Stephen Reid then on the right. This would have given us at least some decent attacking prospects from the wings.

Just think most of the time Kerrs selections contain at least one or two blindingly baffleing mistakes which everyone can see from the start are mistakes, and which prove themselves to be. Has also shown a complete inability to make changes for the better during a game (eg that wonderful decision when had to take off keane against israel to not put on another striker), and also in not calling up another attacking option. I for one would prefer to have seen Connolly come on instead of Doherty, simply cause doherty is barely even a footballer let alone an international standard striker!!

Praying either David O Leary or Martin O Neill go for the job. Think there is some hope for O Neill seeing as how he wants a break from football to be with his wife and the international job requires only a fraction of the time of club manager.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

The blame lies on Kerrs shoulders. He has made some shocking decisions in this campaign and his tactics were all wrong. far too defensive minded which cost us points. Basically he just didnt know what he was doing.

The buck stops with him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

In one word: Kerr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭deadduck

the players. when someone shows as little heart as say, carr, no manager is gonna get anywhere with them. time for the players to start playing properly and not just stick on the jersey when they're not off spending their money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

both, the engine doesn't run without the cogs or the petrol, both need to be there to move, neither are, i think we're hiting a dark patch in irish football, pity:
    it happened to brady and it'll happen to duff, world class players unable to play at the world class stage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Kerr.

While I agree that poor performance from the players certainly contributed to the problem but if you put demotivated squad out on the pitch in successive matches and do nothing to improve it as manager then you have to take a large chunk of the blame.

Also, our tactics were poor at many stages especially when it came to the important areas of substitutions (who/when) and tactical adjustments when matches were getting away from us. That's a managerial issue too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I think Kerr was flogging a dead horse. Maybe the retirements will give the team the shake up it needs

Advertisement