Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mega-bit+Meag-bite

Options
  • 14-09-2001 8:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Can somebody explain to me how many Mega-bits(say you had a mbit connection)are in a mega-bite.So another words if I had a 1Mbit a sec connection how long would it take to down load a Mbite.And to get the same answer for a 512kbps connection to I just double the time???.I understand you will very rarely get your full bandwidth but am just curious
    Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭cmkrnl

Divide the BIT figure by 8 to get it into bytes. Flat out the 1 Meg service should give you theoretically 125 KBytes/Sec, however in the real world it will max out at about 110-115 Bytes/Sec.

On my 2Meg here, the max I have seen (as recorded by DU-Meter) is just over 230KB/Sec. Of course with net congestion etc YMMV. However I have managed to sustain > 200K/sec downloading the odd linux ISO here & there :-).

greg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

if you have a 512Kbps (kiloBITpersecond) you will get aprox 50KBps (kiloBYTEpersecond)... divide bit by 10, that will give you aprox for byte .. if that makes sence

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by cmkrnl
    On my 2Meg here, the max I have seen (as recorded by DU-Meter) is just over 230KB/Sec.

I take it your on adsl ?? If so, how much is it costing ya over in london per month?

Originally posted by ando

I take it your on adsl ?? If so, how much is it costing ya over in london per month?

2Meg from Easynet is £119 pcm, paid in full up front for the 12month contract. Installation was £250. It's delivered on ethernet through one of these.

http://www.efficientnetworks.com/products/routbus.html

They are about the cheapest in the UK for that speed. I also have a registered /29 with it for that price. As long as you can lie convincingly enough :-) to RIPE, easynet will provide up a /28 with the service.

greg

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Here is some sample info . I am using Chorus Powernet 512Kbps MMDS I did a speed check with www.speed411.com and got a calculated speed of 956Kbps I then downloaded Adoibe Acrobat 5 and achieved upwards of 468Kbps and downloaded 8.41Mb in 22 seconds you can see the results here. I am running Simpleserver from AnalogX.com and will leave it running for the day (Chorus get p****d when you run a serverhttp://217.78.4.77
    John K

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

the reason you achive those speeds are because of the bandwidth shaper chorus have on their service.
    [ie]the more that use it, the more the speeds are restricted.

Can you beat it sucka??
    speed_hehe.gif
    :):)

The purpose of my post was simply to demonstrate what is possible in average daily use with Powernet in a home/office setup . You are achieving incredible d/loads what you got???

John K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

that is a picture taken a long time ago to show the speed that can be achieved with satellite access.
    it is no longer true.
    :(:(

Originally posted by chernobyl
    the reason you achive those speeds are because of the bandwidth shaper chorus have on their service.
    [ie]the more that use it, the more the speeds are restricted.

Can you beat it sucka??
    speed_hehe.gif
    :):)

<QUAKE3>

IMPRESSIVE

</QUAKE3>

:-)

greg

Originally posted by jbkenn
    Here is some sample info . I am using Chorus Powernet

What parts of the country do they cover ? What are you paying for it ?

Thanks

greg

• Advertisement

I am in Limerick AFAIK it is available in Dublin and Cork also

Cost

Installation £299.00 plus 20% V.A.T.
    (includes Transceiver, Modem and Cat 5 cable)

Home User £40.00 per month plus VAT

Business (Single User) £79.00 per month plus VAT

Business (Network up to 20 Users) £150 per month plus VAT

I am not sure about a cap, I have not experienced any problem re cap

John K

I am in Limerick AFAIK it is available in Dublin and Cork also

Cost

Installation £299.00 plus 20% V.A.T.
    (includes Transceiver, Modem and Cat 5 cable)

Home User £40.00 per month plus VAT

Not bad, for 40 sheets/month one could swallow the installation charge given its a one off. What are your pings like to UK/Ireland gaming servers for example ? What bandwidth figures do they quote for the 3 services ? I assume they packet shape/rate limit on the cable modem depending on service purchased.

It's also a damn fine example of what Eircoms DSL pricing should be. If it was that price this forum would be damn quiet :-).

greg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭E-Hub

remember theres no line rental with chorus,

so taking that into account Eircoms adsl is £50 (£90) more expensive,

both have 3gb caps but the price p mb is 2p conpared with eircons 2.6p

the service from what i heard is excellent,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 beomont

I got this through email today and regarding the 3gb cap for residential customers I am nerly sure somebody on this board said they had not put it in place yet.By the way notice the nice option below of self install saving you a nice £150 lids

"Thanks for your e-mail.Unfortunately we are currently awaiting a release
    date for Powernet in your area at the moment.Limerick City is live at the
    moment and Dublin is next on the roll out plans(within a few months).As
    regards the rest of the country it will be released during 2002 & 2003."

Chorus PowerNet
    Wireless Service Pricing Structure
    Residential

High speed modem Installation IRP 150.00 inc. VAT
    Monthly Rental IRP 40.00 inc. VAT
    Monthly Flat rate Download limit 3Gb
    Volume charge above limit 2p per MB

Subject to a min. twelve month contract

Option of self install or using a recommended IT install company
    Payable directly to the authorised IT install company

Software Install IRP 48.00 inc. VAT
    Software/ Ethernet card Install IRP 99.00 inc. VAT (to include a specified d-link ethernet card)
    Software/ USB to Ethernet adapter IRP TBA

NB Above amounts are payable COD directly to authorized install partner

Business Services

High speed modem installation IRP 299.00 exc. VAT

Single PC connection
    Monthly rental IRP 79.00 exc. VAT
    Monthly Flat rate Download limit 6Gb
    Volume charge above limit 2p per MB

Network LAN connection

Customer must have less than 20 computers on the network.

Zyxel 312 Broadband IP router TBA
    Monthly rental IRP 150.00 exc. VAT
    Flat rate download limit 10Gb
    Volume charge above limit 1p per MB

Subject to a min. twelve-month contract

Payable directly to the authorised IT install company

Single PC install
    Software Install IRP 48.00 exc. VAT
    Software/ Ethernet card Install IRP 99.00 exc. VAT (to include a specified d-link ethernet card)
    Software/ USB to Ethernet adapter IRP TBA

LAN installation IRP 65.00 exc. VAT per hour subject to site survey
    By authorised IT install company

NB Above amounts are payable COD or by account directly to the authorized install partner

Originally posted by beomont
    I By the way notice the nice option below of self install saving you a nice £150 lids

Customer must have less than 20 computers on the network.

Zyxel 312 Broadband IP router TBA
    Monthly rental IRP 150.00 exc. VAT
    Flat rate download limit 10Gb
    Volume charge above limit 1p per MB

Subject to a min. twelve-month contract

Any poster here should be well capable of doing their own install. :-) Saving a few bob into the bargain :-).

For the high end business bundle, the Zyxel Prestige 312 is a poor choice IMHO . Its a nice piece of kit, but any web connected business may want to run VPN connections from the desktop out to customers/whoever & it doesn't IIRC support any form of IPSEC passthru. The Linksys BEFSR41 would have been a better choice I reckon.

greg

In reply to cmkml I have not tried to ping a gameserver (I dont play games, sorry!) but if you give me some ip's I will try it. for general info it is a snap to install, especially on Win2k, and I will let you know during the week how I get on with a 20 user network as I have to set one up on Monday

John K

In reply to cmkml I have not tried to ping a gameserver (and I will let you know during the week how I get on with a 20 user network as I have to set one up on Monday

John K

Here is my ping to jolt.co.uk (where I have been occasionally known to play the odd game of Tac Ops :-) )
    F:\>ping www.jolt.co.uk

Pinging clarity.jolt.co.uk [195.149.21.11] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=20ms TTL=245
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=245

Any of the zyxel family are pretty easy to setup. ZyNos is all menu driven & very straight forward. The Web interface is pretty crap. Telnet is usually the only way to do the setup properly. Just make sure you stick some filters on to drop NBT etc on the outbound to be on the safe side.

greg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Any poster here should be well capable of doing their own install. :-) Saving a few bob into the bargain :-).

Yeah, that's what I thought too!!!

Not true.

For some strange, weird and wonderful reason, they won't let you install it yourself. Don't ask me why, but you do get caught for the installation fee. Some technician-type person has to do the install of software.

I haven't taken up PowerNet yet, but it's not for want of trying - they were supposed to send me out a contract last June!

Anyway, when I was talkng to the guy on the phone about it, I mentioned that I could do the installation myself like it suggests on the bumph. "Sorry, no can do" was his reply.

I've subsequently seen posts from people in Limerick on the ILUG mailing list and they confirmed this.

Oh, and btw, Chorus say that Powernet does not support Linux, for those interested.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭infomat

Divide the BIT figure by 8 to get it into bytes. Flat out the 1 Meg service should give you theoretically 125 KBytes/Sec, however in the real world it will max out at about 110-115 Bytes/Sec.

greg

Are you sure?

I could be wrong but is it not divide by 9 or 10 because of parity bits and other overheads .

Originally posted by infomat

Are you sure?

I could be wrong but is it not divide by 9 or 10 because of parity bits and other overheads .

The divide by 10 rule applies to modems, where everything is pre/post fixed by a start and a stop bit. For everything else the raw speed of the link is /8. Of course there is then framing/encapsulation over head so the theoretical maximum is never reached. IIRC any error correction happens at layer 2, not in the datastream as with a modem.

greg

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Delphi91

Yeah, that's what I thought too!!!

Not true.

For some strange, weird and wonderful reason, they won't let you install it yourself. Don't ask me why, but you do get caught for the installation fee. Some technician-type person has to do the install of software.

Mike

Hmm, what a shower, do they force you to purchase their own NIC at inflated prices as well I wonder. What software are they referring to ? Something like WinPOET to do PPPoE ? If so yet another reason to use a dedicated appliance such as a Linksys/Barricade/Whatever to take care of all that & firewall off the connection.

Some cable modem systems restrict access by MAC address. But that problem is easily solved ;-).

They may not 'support' linux. But they would have a hard time stopping one using it ;-).

greg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

...What software are they referring to ? Something like WinPOET to do PPPoE ? If so yet another reason to use a dedicated appliance such as a Linksys/Barricade/Whatever to take care of all that & firewall off the connection...

Have a look here for an account of the installation: http://www.linux.ie/pipermail/ilug/2001-August/035060.html

Mike

Advertisement