Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Identify a Coin

• 13-10-2005 12:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭

Supposedly an ancient greek coin. My brother got it for me in Greece.
    There's a cert of guarantee with it saying it's Appolon on one side (the head) and Zeus on the other in the form of a bird from 230-240 BC.
    Can anyone confirm this?
    How would I know if it's a fake?

All help appreciated...

coin0043on.jpg

coin0021wc.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

That screams fake,

The coin is far too clear for something that was in regular circulation for at least a century, 2,300 years ago.

The wear and tear are clearly artificial, its not evenly worn, which you'd expect from a soft metal silver coin.

The Engraving of the die used on the "Bird" side of the coin is too crisp. The ability to produce coins of that clarity did not exist until the 1600's. I refer specifically to the feathers. Plus, the diemaker would make both sides of the coin, so the style would be the same on both sides in each specific city state (Corinth, Sparta, Athens, Salonika, Macedonia, etc).

Judging by the inscription, T***YO***EOKIHVA (rough approximation of greek alphabet, I don't have the coptic font here), I'd hazard a guess at it being a forged Thessalonian drachma. How much does it weigh?

Get yourself down to Brian in Georges Street Arcade, or go to Stephens Green, you may get help and guidance there, but if that coins genuine, I would be quite surprised. I'd give it a 20% chance that it is, and if so, then they had bloody good die-makers back then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

I know, it does seem too "nice" to be genuine :(
    I'll drop into Georges Street Arcade next time I'm in the big schmoke...

Bet you're wrong though :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

either way its very pretty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

How much was it?

I don't know, he got it as a present for me - I'm guessing £50 - £100 back in 1996 (I'm guaranteed that it's 9 years old at least :D ).

Here's the guarantee cert that came with it - I've googled the Victoria Gallery hoping that it was a world renowned centre for coins :) - no such luck, can't find anything on them...

gauranteecert2cm.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

The Coin fair is on ATM in the RDS. The last day is tomorrow Sunday, if you get down there and go to the spinks stand or the stand for Feb. auction, they'll tell you in seconds if it's real or not. It's always better to have the coin in hand to judge if it's fake.

If you can't make it to the RDS tomorrow, post your pictures here, the guys here are well up on forgeries:
    Fake Ancient Coin Reports and Discussion
    http://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?board=9.0

Cheers Blade, that's an excellent site. Just going to post there now...

Advertisement