Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Headlights on Jeeps - Whats the problem?

Options
  • 13-10-2005 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

The problem is that at night they blind us ordinary car drivers.

The lastest trend is to include extra fog lights like those on Artics. I understand why artics have them but Jeeps?

I read a signature from here about jeep headlight beems - Why can you jeep drivers not adjust the light beems downwards?

To all you Jeep drivers - please lower them down a bit. Fog Lights on Jeeps are position at the same level as car head lights. Fog lights are stronger than Headlights therefore why do you Jeep drivers have them on?

Just Curious.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

It is a pain indeed.
    Although, not exclusive to SUV drivers. Cars with fog lights on, when it isn't foggy, really bug me. (I know that 'technically' they are spot lights, but they are still very distracting).

I find that alot of people arn't aware that they usually have a headlight beam adjustment on their dash, (usually to the right of the steering wheel), and you get drivers who insist on driving around with a half tonne in their boot and their headlights at the highest setting....

** Once again, not covered on the driving test/lesson, or has it been added to the theory bit???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Cousin has a Hi Lux, with head lights and then 4 lights across the top bar behind the cab....anyone forgets to turn off headlights,......he flashs....still not off.....give them a blast of them.....they soon get the point :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Big Nelly wrote:
    Cousin has a Hi Lux, with head lights and then 4 lights across the top bar behind the cab....anyone forgets to turn off headlights,......he flashs....still not off.....give them a blast of them.....they soon get the point :D

You mean anyone who doesn't turn off their headlights during the day?

I always have my (dipped) headlights on, regardless of the conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

eoin_s wrote:
    I always have my (dipped) headlights on, regardless of the conditions.

so do I. Its amazing how many go around without lights on. Its so much safer with them on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

A lot of organisations require their company cars to have their lights on at all times for safety reasons. The Army spring to mind.

• Advertisement

testicle wrote:
    A lot of organisations require their company cars to have their lights on at all times for safety reasons. The Army spring to mind.

I figured that if volvos always have their lights on for safety reasons, then it must be a good thing! Also, I can just leave the lights in the on position and they are automatically turned off when the engine is off rather than having to switch them on/off manually.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Everytime I see one of those pick up jeep truck things I start thinking of Deliverance and the hillbilly tune out of it.... no offence Big Nelly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

"squeal boy, squeal like a pig!"

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

testicle wrote:

Never once seen an army jeep or so on with its lights on!! big base in Cavan so they are always around and they never have lights on!!! where you get this info??????

borderfox wrote:
    Everytime I see one of those pick up jeep truck things I start thinking of Deliverance and the hillbilly tune out of it.... no offence Big Nelly

No offence taken! I aint driving it!! :D but what the **** is "Deeliverance!"

Big Nelly wrote:
    No offence taken! I aint driving it!! :D but what the **** is "Deeliverance!"

It's a film about some city boys who go in the àrse end of nowhere in the states and run into some yokels. One of the yokels takes quite a shine to one of the city boys. Or more specifically his ass. linkage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I find lights on cars these days quite blinding. Dunno if they are adjusted wrong or just brighter. You can get night driving glasses to cut down on glare and dazzle. With jeeps the problem is they are the wrong height and just hit your mirrors where you don't want them too. I usually just adjust the mirrors so I'm not blinded. Doesn't help the oncoming ones though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

kluivert wrote:
    The problem is that at night they blind us ordinary car drivers.

The lastest trend is to include extra fog lights like those on Artics. I understand why artics have them but Jeeps?

I read a signature from here about jeep headlight beems - Why can you jeep drivers not adjust the light beems downwards?

To all you Jeep drivers - please lower them down a bit. Fog Lights on Jeeps are position at the same level as car head lights. Fog lights are stronger than Headlights therefore why do you Jeep drivers have them on?

Just Curious.....

Whats with singling-out Jeeps? surely all 4X4 vehicles are culpable? am I missing something here?
    Just Curious . . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Big Nelly wrote:
    Never once seen an army jeep or so on with its lights on!! big base in Cavan so they are always around and they never have lights on!!! where you get this info??????

Open your eyes more so.
    Info is from Drivers Standing Orders

ArthurF wrote:
    Whats with singling-out Jeeps? surely all 4X4 vehicles are culpable? am I missing something here?
    Just Curious . . . .

A lot of people say "Jeep" to mean any 4x4, just like they say "hoover" instead of vacuum and "biro" instead of ballpoint pen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

eoin_s wrote:
    A lot of people say "Jeep" to mean any 4x4, just like they say "hoover" instead of vacuum and "biro" instead of ballpoint pen.

"WoW" I am from Scotland so I never realised that in Ireland the Generic term for 4X4 was Jeep! (never heard that one before) not in the UK or States anyway, its always 4X4 or 4WD or SUV . . . . .
    You learn something New every day:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I think it used to be Jeep every where especially after WWII until the car manufacturers started to differenciate their models from Wileys Jeep. I assume the name Jeep was trade marked. However in Ireland we tend to ignore the fancy marketing terms.

Advertisement