Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tracking a stolen machine

Options
  • 13-10-2005 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Machine got nicked last night. I had LogMeIn installed on it and I was wondering what the chances are if (for whatever reason) they connect to the internet and it registers on my LogMeIn account, is there anything I can do to try and track down its whereabouts? Given that I'd have it's IP and, from that, would probably know which ISP they are using, is it within the realms of possibility that the ISP would take up the chase for me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

I'd say your luck depends on how clued-up the thief and/or end-user is here - techwise, I mean. If it was me (it wasn't... :) ) I'd have wiped and reinstalled the machine by now, so LogMeIn would be InTheBin. If you are fortunate enough to get an IP address, talk to the ISP by all means - it can't hurt. You could also try and get the Gardai interested.

Remember, though, that the address could come from a "free" dial-up service, so they might not have any details other than a phone number. It could also come from a foreign ISP - I don't know what you could do about that scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

I know the chances would be slim. Maybe I've been watching to much CSI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

AFAIK "free" dialup services require caller ID enabled. It's been a long time since I used one of those services though and perhaps I'm showing my age.

Hope you track it down - that would be sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

would logmein (sounds like chinese food) not help you follow it up? I'm assuming it's a service for finding lost equipment, so unless they're just offering you a stand alone app, rather than a proper service you should be okay.

as for the garda, i'd have thought the prospect of finding a stolen laptop and possibly other stolen gear with very little in the way of detective work might appeal to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

isp might not reveal that information under data protection

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

They will if the guards are involved and request it as part of an investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Can mac address not be used for that?

Advertisement