Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom adsl ripping us off...what can we do?

Options
  • 14-09-2001 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭

Exactly what can we do as Irish internet users/consumers about the current situation that we are in...?

Should we all mount a united front of sorts and boycott i-stream?

Should we take that one step further and boycott all Eircom products?

Or will we just divide up into a "yes", "no" and "maybe", let Eircom get their pretty penny from about a quarter of us and continue to use their money-grabbing consumer-bullying tactics to continue to amass a larger margin of profit.

Well, what do you all think, what choices do we as consumers and internet users have to make Eircom change their ways, demolish their caps, and lower their prices...?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 ru1nzx

(Just my opinion)

Enough ****, We begged for ADSL.. We got it, £70 a month is Cheap compared to paying £400 per month for unlimited access

I believe the 3GB limit will/should be highered, but 70 quid is not bad compared to what im paying right now

Don't get too greedy.. or they'll tell ya to **** off :P

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭pertinax

We didn't beg for adsl. We begged for afordable adsl. I knew the same as anyone with intelligence that eircom would flummox us up royally. If you spend £70 on this you must have soggy cornflakes for brain matter. We shouldn't and I won't accept this kind of rubish "service".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Straker

Originally posted by ru1nzx
    (Just my opinion)

Enough ****, We begged for ADSL.. We got it, £70 a month is Cheap compared to paying £400 per month for unlimited access

Yep. Cheap ONLY in the context of €ircon's pricing regime. Not so cheap when you consider what other folks in Europe are paying... let alone in the USA.

Totally agreed with you regarding the 3GB cap. Basically €ircon are charging per GB. The "always on" feature has nothing to do with it... it's just a by(?)-product of converting to ADSL. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

(Just my opinion)

I believe the 3GB limit will/should be highered, but 70 quid is not bad compared to what im paying right now

You're forgetting, of course, the VAT on top of that £70 which brings the monthly tag upto close on £100.

Are you going to sit there and tell me that £100 (excluding line rental, installation, equipment) WITH a 3GB limit is acceptable?

Are you going to sit there and tell me that an additional charge of 2.26p (LESS vat) for anythign over that pathetic 3GB limit is acceptable?

Are you going to sit there and tell me that I'm being greedy when I look at the US, UK, Europe, Aus, NewZealand, etc and see their prices SOO much lower and without restrictions like ours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 JANER

(Just my opinion)

Are you a part time Eircom worker? or as one of the other geezers said so elequently "have you soggy cornflakes for a brain?"

FFS:mad: £100 for Adsl a month and it's CAPPED:mad:
    In england its £40 UNLIMITED
    I am a gamesplayer and 3 gigs not enough:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

This is NOT cheap. Not from any angle.
    £100 per month plus another £30 per extra gig is a blatant rip off. I am not happy with that, nor am i willing to "accept" it and purchase. We havent begged for adsl, Eircom were told to release it. Slowly and reluctantly they have, and are now applying these shameless prices to further stall the process.

They are scum, they dont care. Lemming is right, we should do something. I dont think we need to actively boycott their adsl service. They've already made sure that no sane person is going to apply due to thier over the top pricing.

I mentioned in another thread that maybe picketing could help....?

Look im not sayin anythin crap..

Im just saying im glad of adsl..

- for the speeds
    - for the unlimited thing

i wish it was cheaper then 70 quid, dont we all? but i mean, i can accept 70 quid and im a heavy internet user and probably in the top 100 in the country..

Id LOVE for it to be 20 quid, Id LOVE for the 3GB limit to be 30GB instead, But im looking realisticlly.. Thats not gunna happen, Eircom are not gunna change their prices dramatically..

And no i dont have soggy cornflakes for brains, Maybe you do though.. Because Ireland isnt exactly full of companys offering ADSL :)

70 quid compared to 400 quid is still QUITE good even though its not unbeliveably cheap.. I'm still getting it, Cuz id prefer to pay 70 - 100 quid then 400 quid for unlimited access.. Not 56k access..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

WHAT I WILL DO IS.....(I stress Me)

What word follows...

-Capt. ******* ? (Mayo LandLord)
    -Geoffrey ******* ? (ex-English Cricketer)
    -Rosie ******* ? (ex-Independant Newspapers Editor)

B O Y C O T T

that's £70 PLUS VAT though.....
    So that ends up closer to £100
    then £30 for every gig?

If you're a heavy user, you're only going to loose out....
    10gigs -> £300

And isn't the installation really high priced too?

I suppose in your case ru1nzx, if you're paying £400 a month anyway, it might as well be for adsl.

Personnally i wouldn't, just to spite them, as they've been spiting me and people like me since their formation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I don't understand this.
    Look im not sayin anythin crap..

Im just saying im glad of adsl..

- for the speeds
    - for the unlimited thing
    Given the cap, how is it unlimited?

i wish it was cheaper then 70 quid, dont we all? but i mean, i can accept 70 quid and im a heavy internet user and probably in the top 100 in the country..
    In that case you will be paying a fortune in per megabyte charges.

Id LOVE for it to be 20 quid, Id LOVE for the 3GB limit to be 30GB instead, But im looking realisticlly.. Thats not gunna happen, Eircom are not gunna change their prices dramatically..
    But you fully accept Eircom's right to charge customers a multiple of what other European countries are charging.

And no i dont have soggy cornflakes for brains, Maybe you do though.. Because Ireland isnt exactly full of companys offering ADSL :)

70 quid compared to 400 quid is still QUITE good even though its not unbeliveably cheap.. I'm still getting it, Cuz id prefer to pay 70 - 100 quid then 400 quid for unlimited access.. Not 56k access..
    So you accept Eircom's overcharging on ADSL because you are already paying through the nose on other Eircom products.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by kamobe
    They've already made sure that no sane person is going to apply due to thier over the top pricing.

Thanx kamobe :) I might just add that most of my friends consider me to be anything but sane, and I ain't paying what Eircom expect me to pay for ADSL.

So you might want to change the above statement to say that no person sane OR insane is gonna pay those prices ;)

I dont even USE eircomNet ya f00l..

do u think id pay for unlimited access at weekends?

i use ntl.. free @ weekends

and what i meant by unlimited, is unlimited access.. not unmetred bandwith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

i know this is not what you wanna hear.
    but when have eircom done anything that would just benefit the end user, they are a business who fully realise their position in irish telecommunications.
    they have the monoply [through government stupidity...what changes..@ MR], and they are gonna exploit it to the fullest.
    Esat are not in a very favourable postion either.
    wholesale prices will be high and so will the retail, all esat can do is offer a more generous cap.
    jesus i may be going back to ACT....no!!!!

I dont even USE eircomNet ya f00l..
    do u think id pay for unlimited access at weekends?

i use ntl.. free @ weekends
    Who mentioned Eircomnet? You have been telling us that you pay a fortune in phone charges and that ADSL seems like a good deal to you. If this is the case and you use NTL dial-up, then you are spending a lot of money during the week. A proportion of this money gets paid to NTL but the bulk of it goes to Eircom.
    and what i meant by unlimited, is unlimited access.. not unmetred bandwith
    All internet services are unlimited in this sense. What is your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭pertinax

Your attitude is if theres adsl i'll practically buy it regardless.
    Truely principle and common sense are beyond you. Good luck to you if you want to pant and salivate for eircom while they dribble their golden liquid all over you.

Jaysus do i have to spell it out for ya?

Skepticone said i pay through the ass for eircom products when My phone line isnt with eircom, My internet service isnt with eircom.. Even if a percentage of the money i pay to NTL goes to eircom, i cudnt really give a rats ass..

Unlimited access for a set Fee is what I meant, We're talking about ADSL here, and it has a set fee and you use the amount of time you like whenever u like 24/7..

I do have common sense, I've been on every ****ing ISP in ireland..

I will pay 70 quid rather then 400 quid, I'm not rich, I can't afford 400 quid, Which is why my internet use has been cut down BIGTIME..

I want 24/7 access, I dont want a 3GB limit, but If thats the way it is.. thats the way ill go.. Normal users on 56k wudnt even go through 3GB in a month, im a high usage user...

I WILL pay 70 - 100 quid a month for 512kps down and 256 up..

Compared to 400 quid... Thats reasonable, Even though id like it cheaper.

I know all about the ADSL packages, Ive been wanting fast speeds and 24/7 access for at least 3 years now.. Ive been ringing and waiting for EVERY company, I dont care about the 70 quid anymore, id love for it to be 20 quid, But thats not the way its gonna be.

It hurts me to actually get ADSL from eircom cuz i think their a lot of bastards, But i want fast speeds.

End of story, Nobody here is gunna change my mind.. (just letting u know)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Whoeverthehell

That's hardly unlimted access, if you have used your cap in 2 weeks then you'll be paying £30 per GB after that. True, you can use it whenever you want, but you can use dial up whenever you want too.

I know you can use dial up whenever you want, But what are the costs for downloading 3GB on dialup? Way more then 70 quid.. You get 1 meg in about 3 - 4 minutes.. which is 3 - 4 pence for 1 meg

"But what are the costs for downloading 3GB on dialup? Way more then 70 quid.. You get 1 meg in about 3 - 4 minutes.. which is 3 - 4 pence for 1 meg"

Only with Eircom :)
    ANY other Operator is cheaper. Esat "Nolimits" , NTL and chorus are all cheaper than eircom.

ru1nzx -you said you were with NTL, £20 for weekend dialup is plenty cheaper then Eircom :)

And you keep saying £70!! It's Not! IT's £90 plus the crippling cap...

Before you begin to hate me, I'm not personnally attacking you, I just disagree with you :)

• Advertisement

BTW, the actual figure per GB after the cap is £27.65

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Now that Eircom has allowed Eircom (the internet company) access to their exchanges..does this mean that others can offer asdl services?

Eircom's people are clearly offering a product that is aimed at saying in a month or so "there clearly is no demand for broadband..we offered it but noone took it up(shock..amazement...NOT)...we love dialup..pay through the nose customers"

All this talk of the rediculious joke of an asdl offering that Eircom is supposedly trying to sell (!!) leaves out the fact that the exchanges are now being used for adsl..is there any hope that Esat or Utvinternet etc are going to to offer something..before Eircom buries real broadband completly?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

find me one gamer who hasn`t
    Normal users on 56k wudnt even go through 3GB in a month, im a high usage user...[/B]
    Uh in the good old days of snl i was on more like 5-6gigs a month

Compared to 400 quid... Thats reasonable, [/B]
    But your making a comparison on much longer times no doubt?

Jaysus do i have to spell it out for ya?

Skepticone said i pay through the ass for eircom products when My phone line isnt with eircom, My internet service isnt with eircom.. Even if a percentage of the money i pay to NTL goes to eircom, i cudnt really give a rats ass..
    Your phone line is with Eircom. If you are using NTLs unmetered weekend but expensive weekday service then you are using an Eircom line. The important thing is that you are paying so much that you think that £95 per month for limited ADSL is good value.

My point is that it is only good value if you accept Eircom's (NTL is only passing on the cost) right to charge what they do for their PSTN and ISDN services.
    I know you can use dial up whenever you want, But what are the costs for downloading 3GB on dialup? Way more then 70 quid.. You get 1 meg in about 3 - 4 minutes.. which is 3 - 4 pence for 1 meg
    Again, this is comparing Eircom's ADSL with other overpriced services. I-stream is overpriced in international terms and the topic is about what should be done about it.

Yes, other operators will have access to it, like Esat for instance. Eircom must sell their product wholesale to other telco's, as they effectively do to themselves.

The reason this is being delayed is because Eircom have set an unreasonable wholesale price which doesnt allow other operators to compete fairly, and the regulator won't allow this.

There's another thread with plenty of information on this....

The only thing that can be done, I believe, is to make it perfectly clear to everyone involved (Eircom, the ODTR, the media, the government) that with the current prices ADSL will fail because it appeals to noone, and that Eircom knows this. Then state that the only way it will be taken up is by Eircom both lowering it's prices dramatically and increasing it's caps to minimum 10GB, unless others want a higher limit on the cheapest package? Along with this we will have to tell all of them how important affordable broadband is to Ireland.

I believe this is all we can do, we can't force Eircom to do as we want, but we can apply pressure to the government to step in and force them for us.

Ok i understand.. I'm glad we all had this argument cuz I realise now..

Its just I am pretty desperate, All these free services, but they charge the phone call, ive tried em all, oceanfree, eircomnet, indigo, utv internet, and then I was totally pissed when IOL kicked me off.. and now NTL only has free @ weekends.. (which saves me 20 quid every weekend, not bad indeed)

I would actually be very happy with an unlimited 24/7 56k package where you pay like 20 quid and get 24/7 access.. no phone call charges.. but thats probably not gunna happen for a good 'ould while :(

I'm very grim on this one. Other Internet providers can offer ADSL in two ways. 1) Through LLU. 2) Through wholesale DSL at Eircoms wholesale rate).

1. LLU. a) This involves a lot of capital investment. It is unlikely they will be able to raise this in the current capital markets especially since many OLOs in the states sqandered loans in massive customer aquisition programs and are now going bust. b) Although the rental has been set by the ODTR based on cost, this is being disputed by Eircom. This court case might last two years (like the Orange/Metior licence case). If the ODTR loses, then any OLO availing of LLU will have to pay twice as much per month per line. This payment might even be backdated to 1 January 2001 when the local loop was supposedly unbundled.

2. Wholesale. With a wholesale rate of £50 (higher than the retail price in the UK) it is unlikely that ISPs will be interested since they will be forced to charge such a high retail price that few customers will be interested. What I'm not sure of here is whether the ISPs will be charged per megabyte with a pre-paid amount per customer. If this is the case then there will always be punative caps on usage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭obewan

I will pay 70 quid rather then 400 quid, I'm not rich, I can't afford 400 quid, Which is why my internet use has been cut down BIGTIME..

I want 24/7 access, I dont want a 3GB limit, but If thats the way it is.. thats the way ill go.. Normal users on 56k wudnt even go through 3GB in a month, im a high usage user...

I WILL pay 70 - 100 quid a month for 512kps down and 256 up..

Compared to 400 quid... Thats reasonable, Even though id like it cheaper.

I know all about the ADSL packages, Ive been wanting fast speeds and 24/7 access for at least 3 years now.. Ive been ringing and waiting for EVERY company, I dont care about the 70 quid anymore, id love for it to be 20 quid, But thats not the way its gonna be.

It hurts me to actually get ADSL from eircom cuz i think their a lot of bastards, But i want fast speeds.

End of story, Nobody here is gunna change my mind.. (just letting u know)

So are you a businessman/woman or just an ordinary joe soap. I ask because I'm an ordinary 56k home user and I cannot afford anything that Eircom are offering at this moment in time.

Maybe your parents are paying the bill and not you so you should try to get something more affordable like rest of us and not settle for the s**t that Eircom are dishing out.

Mick.

• Advertisement

ordinary joe soap obsessive net user :p

ill be paying for the setup and the hardware.. and paying half every month after that..

so basiclly ill be spending any money i get every month on internet..

Advertisement