Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do they ask for employer's letters when aplying for shotgun licence?

Options
  • 13-10-2005 1:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

Not that I have anything to hide, but do they ever ask about your current employment or for employer's letters when you apply for a shotgun licence?
    Also, do the Gards still have the right to reject an application for a licence even if you have met all the requirements such as club membership, storage, home monitoring, safety courses, not having a criminal record?
    Can they decide just from talking to you not to grant you a licence?
    Any help greatly appreciated.
    Thank You

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

The fireaarms act specifies who is ineligible for a firearms cert
    8.—(1) The following persons are hereby declared to be disentitled to hold a firearm certificate, that is to say:—

( a ) any person under the age of fifteen years, and
    ( b ) any person of intemperate habits, and
    ( c ) any person of unsound mind, and
    ( d ) any person who has been sentenced by any court in all Saorstát Éireann for any crime to penal servitude for any term which has not expired or has expired within five years previously, and
    ( e ) any person who has been sentenced by any court in Saorstát Éireann for any crime to imprisonment for any term of not less that three months which has not expired or has expired within five years previously, and
    ( f ) any person who is subject to the supervision of the police, and
    ( g ) any person who is bound by a recognizance to keep the peace or be of good behaviour, a condition of which is that such person shall not have in his possession, or use, or carry any firearm or ammunition.
    I've never heard of Gardai looking for an employers letter, however if you are not a householder you will need a letter of permission from the householder where you reside to keep the firearm there.

Sorry. Amended in 1964 to the following:
    17.—Section 8 of the Principal Act is hereby amended by—

(a) the substitution of "sixteen years" for "fifteen years" in paragraph (a) of subsection (1),

(b) the deletion of paragraphs (d) and (e) of subsection (1) and the insertion of the following paragraphs:

" (d) any person who has been sentenced by any court in the State to penal servitude or to imprisonment for any term which has not expired or has expired within five years previously for a crime in the course of which a firearm was used or a firearm or an imitation firearm was produced for the apparent purpose of intimidating any person or a threat to use a firearm against any person or property was made, and
    (e) any person who has been sentenced by any court in the State to penal servitude or to imprisonment for any term of not less than three months which has not expired or has expired within five years previously for a crime consisting of or including an assault on any person, and".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

It's not a requirment at all, but if the guard that you are dealing with wants to be a complete bastard then he will ask you to meet some senceless requirments. There is nothing he can do but delay the process or "loose" the documentation...

I waited over a year for my licence to come true... :)

I waited over a year for my licence to come true
    Why?, was it a false one before that?

I don't understand what you mean by false one...

I bought the rifle, got all the documents, went to the local garda station... Well I rang them and rang them after a few months. The guy I was dealing with was sound and he issued me a cover note for that year. In fact it took me about 18 months to get the oficial licence... I mean, how unorganised is that? Some servise... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I don't understand what you mean by false one...
    Sigh... true/false as in..
    I waited over a year for my licence to come true
    ..should have been "I waited over a year for my licence to come through":D
    In fact it took me about 18 months to get the oficial licence... I mean, how unorganised is that? Some servise...
    It's not disorganisation, If you have no prior record with the Gardai (which having got a licence you would not have). It normally can take up to six months to do background checks etc. process the paperwork and send it to the Phoenix Park, where your record is set up on the Pulse system. Usually too late to make the 31st July deadline for the issuing of new licences. So the next time they are issued i.e. 12 months later, the system prints out your renewal notice and licence and hey presto you have the proper paperwork. It could have taken yours only five months to get on the system, but if you miss the renewal form deadline in late June, then you won't get a 'proper licence' until the next annual renewal. Anyway, how much did your cover note cost you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Meclor

I didn't realise you can buy the rifle without having a licence?

I thought you could only get details of the gun and serial number from the dealer and then sit and wait until your licence comes through before you could actually take possesion of it.

Is it not a bit dangerous to allow people without a licence to actually have a weapon at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

A cover note is a letter from the Gardai stating they have granted the cert, but it hasn't been issued yet.

Note: Be careful what the cover letter says, you need it to state that the holder may be in possessi0on of the firearm or words to that effect. Some "cover letters" just state that the person has applied for a cert, and have no value.

ahhh I see

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

normally for smallbore rifles you buy it and then you get the details and apply for a licence the gun dealer will hold the gun for you until th licence gets issued the gun isnt allowed leave the shop until it is licenced

• Advertisement

wouldn't you be just better off getting the licence or cover letter first. I'd hate to hand a few hundred for a rifle only too have to come visit it at the dealers while I wait for a licence.

or even worse, but it and then get refused a licencey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

You'll need to have done your deal on a gun before applying for the licence, as the dealer will have to supply the particulars of the gun for you to go to the Guards.
    Gun dealers know how the system 'works,' and a modest deposit will hold a gun for you while you go through the process. Any that I deal with will return a deposit if a licence application is unsuccessful, but clarify that before closing a deal.

There is no reason to be refused a licence. Unless of course you don't meet the proper requirments.

You purchase the gun first, or put a deposit on it. If you don't then that gun may be sold to someone else and your documents will be wrong.

That's total bull, why whould anyone have to wait over 5-6 weeks to get the licence? If it's on time then there should be no problem, I was on time but yet it still took a damn long time. You don't purchase the cover note, that would be called a bribe... ;)

That's total bull, why whould anyone have to wait over 5-6 weeks to get the licence? If it's on time then there should be no problem, I was on time but yet it still took a damn long time.
    I'm not sure you uinderstood what I was saying there, I certainly don't understand what you're saying. On time for what?
    You don't purchase the cover note, that would be called a bribe...
    That's my point, there you were complaining about not getting your license and you had 12 months plus of free shooting. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

civdef wrote:
    A cover note is a letter from the Gardai stating they have granted the cert, but it hasn't been issued yet.

AKA a station liscense
    Note: Be careful what the cover letter says, you need it to state that the holder may be in possessi0on of the firearm or words to that effect. Some "cover letters" just state that the person has applied for a cert, and have no value.
    It should be on Garda letterhead , have the station stamp,the Sgts no or issuing gardas number and respective sigs,date,serial number of the gun and ammo allowance.Also as to how long it should be in force for.

It's the time that it took to wait for the "free" shooting. It's a pathetic €38 so I didn't exactly benifit from it much...

When I said on time I meant if the documentation is submitted well before the renewal date. 6 weeks befor this date is lots of time, well it should be.

( b ) any person of intemperate habits,

First time poster on this forum.

What exactly does the quote above mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 MP

It should be on Garda letterhead , have the station stamp,the Sgts no or issuing gardas number and respective sigs,date,serial number of the gun and ammo allowance.Also as to how long it should be in force for.
    Cover notes are not worth the paper they are written on. It is clearly stated in the Act that you must have a LICENCE to be in possesion of a firearm or ammunition. If purchasing a firearm it remains the property (legally) of the dealer or the person last licenced for the firearm,(if buying from an individual) so technically you would be breaking the law by having a firearm on a cover note. Happened me with the sale of a shotgun,buyer had a cover note (as described above) but the shotgun was listed as mine on Pulse over 12 months later and caused a lot of hassle. Had their been an accident with this I would have been ,eat,beat and chewed as it was still listed as owned by me. I would never ask for or use a cover note again,lesson learned the hard way. Many visits to Gardai,numerous phone calls to purchaser and phone calls to his Garda station etc. Be warned!

Note: This got really messy and it was because of a dispute between firearms Garda and his Super, but the outcome for me and the purchaser could have been a lot nastier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

[
    QUOTE=MP]Cover notes are not worth the paper they are written on. It is clearly stated in the Act that you must have a LICENCE to be in possesion of a firearm or ammunition. If purchasing a firearm it remains the property (legally) of the dealer or the person last licenced for the firearm,(if buying from an individual) so technically you would be breaking the law by having a firearm on a cover note.

A station liscense IS NOT a cover note.It is a tempoary liscense issued as a courtsey by the Gardai for a limited time.EG maybe 4to 6 weeks before the 31st july re liscense issues.It is simply saying yes,we have given you a liscense,the paperwork will be with you in July or whenever.I have bought three guns that way in my lifetime,but then it mightnt be done anymore since the great God PULSE has come to us mortals!PULSE screwed up for six months with me claiming I had sold my rifle to somone on the other end of the country.Thing was my rifle is an Anschutz with serial no xxxxx.This guys rifle was a BRNO with serial no xxxxx!!! Easy enough to mistake I suppose as B comes after A, :rolleyes:

Happened me with the sale of a shotgun,buyer had a cover note (as described above) but the shotgun was listed as mine on Pulse over 12 months later and caused a lot of hassle. Had their been an accident with this I would have been ,eat,beat and chewed as it was still listed as owned by me. I would never ask for or use a cover note again,lesson learned the hard way. Many visits to Gardai,numerous phone calls to purchaser and phone calls to his Garda station etc. Be warned!

Note: This got really messy and it was because of a dispute between firearms Garda and his Super, but the outcome for me and the purchaser could have been a lot nastier.
    [/QUOTE]

Asses ,both hands, and flashlites and the finding thereof springs to mind. :rolleyes:
    Not to mind a lot of CYB from a Super and FAO.It would be intresting to see how they would have defended that in court.If it ever got there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Papa Smut wrote:
    First time poster on this forum.
    Welcome!
    What exactly does the quote above mean?
    It's supposed to mean what it says; Unfortunately, one man's intemperate is another man's quirky is another man's ordinary. There's no definition and no super qualified to make that call as supers don't have mental health qualifications (and since it can take upwards of two weeks supervised assessment in a fulltime medical facility to make that kind of determination professionally, it's not really worth the paper it's printed on). It was supposed to be what would prevent Abbeylara; but there, after McCarthy's shotgun was confiscated for his having shot at people, his psychologist wrote to the super saying he was fit to hold a firearm. Psychologist's mental health qualification pips the super's; super reissues the firearms licence; a year later, McCarthy's dead.

It is, as you might imagine, a bit of a point of debate...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

A person of intemperate habits basically means a drunk - or to use more PC language someone with a substance abuse problem.

Advertisement