Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What IBB thinks of this board

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

n0tsane wrote:
    You say that you where ringing then everyday for an update on your fault!!!.How about you given then a chance to even look at your fault.

I appreciate that you don't have a clue what IBB's service levels are like or what it's like to deal with their customer "service" department (thank you for contributing with authority all the same), but without fail they promise to get back within 24 hours. And without fail, they never get back at all.

Apart from not being able to run a network which is quite complicated in the scheme of toll roads, how hard is it to track a customer problem to ensure that it gets resolved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Macker1

rymus wrote:
    Get onto your bank and cancel the direct debit then...

Paid by Visa ( had my own reasons )

Have already talked to them and if any monies are taken after the account cancellation they will retrieve the money. I just don't want the hassle. Any normal company would have a standard operating proceedure that would ensure that once a customer cancels their account that the debits would cease. Yet another gap in the IBB process. I know that someone recently posted a thread on the forum highlighting a case of money being illegally taken from his account by yes you've guessed IBB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭sisyphus

Hehe, I have to agree with you to a certain extent n0tsane. It does seem that some people on here do voice their opinions quite a lot and on a regular basis on the same repeated issue! We get it, you've had bad service with IBB and are pissed off! Boo hoo!!
    Move on. Why do you feel it necessary to keep returning and repeating yourself over an over again about how crap the company is. If you've cancelled your service, then as I say, move on and stop complaining. In fairness, on a similar analogy, if I get a dodgy pint in some bar one night, I don't keep repeating myself again, and again, and again, and again to my friends about how crappy that one pint was, and how I'll never drink in the same bar again. I mean, if I did I reckon I'd be labelled as a repetitive and boring git quite soon!
    On the other hand, this is a public forum, so I guess if people want to moan and whine, then why not............! (Just seems to be kinda funny when it's the same old faces that do it all the time!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

For the record, I've had IBB for over two years and had few problems at all with their service or customer support. My only gripe was their opening hours (until that was extended).

To be honest, boards is notorious for this. Every new ISP is the darling of boards.ie until someone has a problem. Look at UTV-Internet for another prime example of this behaviour. By all means, show fault where fault exists. But likewise my testimony (and others like me) contrasts with that. They must be getting something right somewhere .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

There are more than enough complaints about IBB to worry anyone.

[unquote]

I believe Thaedydal tried collating and collecting all the actual complaints to bring to IBB, ComReg, etc, hopefully to get something done, however he only got 9 emails. Looking at IBB's customer base, that means less than .01% of customers have an actual complaint.

Irish people love complaining. Un fortunately, it seems, making complaints is something we are not good at.

Oh yeah, and the people that say that BT and Eircoms service is not as bad as IBB's are completely in the dark.

How many people on here actually have Irish Broadband, anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

After 2 weeks now I got an email .... shock well till i read it:

Dear ---,
    Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â We did some data gathering over last weekend and during this
    week. We have found a number of customers that are having problems with
    retransmits and low SNR. These customers are effecting other customers
    on the same sector. We have identified these customers and are currently
    working on moving them to a different site. This should improve the
    performance of your connection and resolve this issue.

Kind regards
    2nd line support

Irish broadband

Once i translated this it sounded like bugger off and live with your 8% packet loss and slow connection til we accidently fix it. And going by the fact im loosing packets and have a slow connection i thought i am one of the ones needs moving but i have a SNR of 19/20 is that ok? Anyways ill call AGAIN tomorrow i guess :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

And going by the fact im loosing packets and have a slow connection i thought i am one of the ones needs moving but i have a SNR of 19/20 is that ok?
    How would I check what my connection is like? I also have IBB but so far have experianced no real problems

try

www.irishisptest.com

and on the command line

ping -n 100 www.google.com

and

ping -n 100 your gateway mine is (83.141.80.65)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

here is my results, dont look too bad to me.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

n0tsane wrote:
    You say that you where ringing then everyday for an update on your fault!!!.How about you given then a chance to even look at your fault.

In most ISPs CS don't look at the fault, they just log it and level 2 or 3 engineeers actualy fix the problem. I can understand people calling back everyday, if my electricity or telephone service was down for days on end wouldn't you get mad and call every day to check the progress.
    n0tsane wrote:
    Most of the attitude you are receiving is probably a result of then sick of listening to you and you not giving then a chance to fix the problem in the first place.

Well then the CS should quit, because that is his/her job.
    n0tsane wrote:
    In regard to the “Don't take that board serious and you shouldn't look for advise there. Those people complain about everything and most of the people complaining about us are not even customers” comment I have looked through boards and have found that indeed you do complain about all the other providers and that your good favor is given to new isp’s that have not done anything to you YET!!

But God help then if they do.
    From looking at other post just on Irish Broadband there is a select group that have had a bad experience with then.

Wow this is your first post here on boards and you seriously think you know what is going on?

As a person who visits this forum everyday for nearly the last 3 years, I can tell you that the complaints aren't coimng from just a few users. There have literally been hundreds of different users complaining about IBB on this forum over the last few months.

The complaints against IBB have been disproportionally higher then any other ISP. I've seen about 20 times as many complaints against IBB, then any other ISP, when you consider that IBB have less then 5% of the BB market, that is pretty shocking, it would indicate that the IBB network is melting down.

Also the types of complaints against IBB have been much more serious then any other ISP. IBB customers are complaining of weeks with sub dialup speeds or no connection at all. The complaints against other ISPs tend to be about billing problems or long install times, but rarley about massive network problems.

n0tsane wrote:
    You never hear about the good they may have done. Why because irish people only say something when it goes wrong.

Not true, this forum is full of posts complimenting NTL, Digiweb, Smart and Clearwire. Even Eircom and BT Ireland get praise (for their products and reliabilty, not their billing).
    n0tsane wrote:
    When I finally get a broadband connection I will be getting it from Irish broadband.

Haha, good luck to you. :rolleyes:

Why would you go with a company where there seems to be better then 50% chance that it will all go terribly wrong, when there are companies like NTL, Digiweb, Eircom, Smart, etc. where things will likely have a 99% chance of going right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

bk wrote:
    Not true, this forum is full of posts complimenting NTL, Digiweb, Smart and Clearwire. Even Eircom and BT Ireland get praise (for their products and reliabilty, not their billing).

Some people here seem to have selective memories. There have been numerous complaints and "dont get this product!" messages over the last couple of years about Digiwebs DSL product, plus UTV when they started charging for over usage and general poor service. To be fair they have gone away again and dont last as long as the IBB complaints threads. Who knows what Metro will be like in a years time, will be very interested to see. I think the only ISP I've seen next to no complaints about is NTL. Shame I cant get it!!

How many genuine complaints against IBB did the guy get who was compiling them to give to IOFFL/Comreg? If a previous post is accurate at 9 then that says a lot. Dont get me wrong, I'm not praising IBB here. My service for 8 months has on the whole been good. It's gone a bit worse over the last couple of months, but not bad enough to complain/move service. Although if it does I'll be posting here bitching my head off :D

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭mlink73

n0tsane wrote:
    You say that you where ringing then everyday for an update on your fault!!!.How about you given then a chance to even look at your fault. [/B].

First of all, I was promised about 6 times now to get a call back and get an update from them which never happened. problem is that the lads on the phone don't have a clue whats going on and have to check with the 2nd line support before they can answer my question.

Biggest problem is that I also asked them NOT to send any updates to my IBB E-Mail, cause I obviously can't access it at the moment, so I left an alternative E-mail and also my mobile no. Guess what happened and still happens? All updates, if there are any, are still beeing send to my IBB Mail.

So unfortunately I need to ring them back to get an update.

Basically the problem was, or is, that I got 8 different stories so far. First it was the high site, then it was a local interferrence, then it was the high site again, then I got an E-Mail that it basically stated it was a local interferrence for sure and the GIS report will be back on Monday, so I would get an update an Monday latest. Never happened, so had to check again, was told that the report was back but they are holding back the ingeneer for the moment because there is also hope that the high site upgrade on Wednesday will improve my situation and if not i should get back to then on Wednesday. So, nothing improved and back on to them on Wednesday, was told that I will get a call from the engineer on Thursday. So, never got a call on Thursday, back on to IBB, was told that the GIS is NOT back yet and no engineer was on hold because there still waiting for the GIS to come back. So obviously people lied to me before. I was very upset and they guy on the phone basically shouted at me he can't help me. I'll have to wait. No word on refunds, or an estimated timeframe to get it fixed after 11 days. Nothing has changed since 11 days now, so tell me, would you still be all nice and understanding with them after that expirience?

n0tsane wrote:
    Most of the attitude you are receiving is probably a result of then sick of listening to you and you not giving then a chance to fix the problem in the first place.[/B].

Maybe as sick as I am paying for a crappy service which I can't even use for nearly 2 weeks now, getting lies on the phone, receiving NO customer service at all, having to tell the story over and over again cause lads on the phone don't have a clue and best of all beeing told to prepare to take a half day of to give the engineer access to my house the next day and then finally beeing told that the GIS report was not back at all, and there also never was en engineer on hold.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

BigMoose wrote:
    Some people here seem to have selective memories. There have been numerous complaints and "dont get this product!" messages over the last couple of years about Digiwebs DSL product, plus UTV when they started charging for over usage and general poor service. To be fair they have gone away again and dont last as long as the IBB complaints threads. Who knows what Metro will be like in a years time, will be very interested to see. I think the only ISP I've seen next to no complaints about is NTL. Shame I cant get it!!

Actually NTL also had complaints about problems in D15 :)

As I said every company receives complaints, what is important is the type and severity of the complaints and how the company deals with them. I have never seen any other ISP even come close to the number and severity of complaints against IBB .

What I objected to in n0tsane's post, was that basically he accused us of all just being whiners here on this forum, who complain about everyone and never compliment a ISP when they do well. That simply isn't true IMO. In my experience people rightfully complain when their ISP isn't giving them the service they paid for and compliment their iSP when they do a good job.

I'm very happy to see this, I wish it happened more often, maybe then we wouldn't live in rip-off Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

bk wrote:
    The complaints against IBB have been disproportionally higher then any other ISP. I've seen about 20 times as many complaints against IBB, then any other ISP, when you consider that IBB have less then 5% of the BB market, that is pretty shocking, it would indicate that the IBB network is melting down.

You seem to have a very selective memory. I can recall significantly more threads about eircom's woeful customer services (indeed I've experienced them myself), terrible products and general lack of availability/quality than IBB or anyone else. I can also recall significant wrath being directed at UTV-Internet once people started having problems also, despite their probably having been the most interactive ISP on these boards. Digi-Web, NTL, Esat BT? And so on so forth.
    Also the types of complaints against IBB have been much more serious then any other ISP. IBB customers are complaining of weeks with sub dialup speeds or no connection at all. The complaints against other ISPs tend to be about billing problems or long install times, but rarley about massive network problems.

Almost all the other ISPs do not rely on a wireless medium to provide their service. Have you thought about that /minor/ little fact? Antennae get knocked out of alignment. Somebody running a homegrown wireless kit that's somehow running interference across a signal. Etc etc.

Once again can I point to your very selective memory? That statement is woefully inaccurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Ardent

n0tsane wrote:
    In regard to the “Don't take that board serious and you shouldn't look for advise there. Those people complain about everything and most of the people complaining about us are not even customers” comment I have looked through boards and have found that indeed you do complain about all the other providers and that your good favor is given to new isp’s that have not done anything to you YET!!
    But God help then if they do.
    From looking at other post just on Irish Broadband there is a select group that have had a bad experience with then.

I couldn't disagree with you more.

I'm a former IBB customer. I was with them for a year and I can vouch for the truly awful service - dial-up speeds, no connectivity for whole weekends - and the non-existent customer support. My mate next door is still with them and has been experiencing the same shoddy service for months (there's a reasons why he is still with them which I won't go into here). I've also lost count of the posts on this forum from late last year from customers of IBB who were not getting anything remotely akin to a broadband service.

You can suggest that there are merely a few troublesome types giving IBB a bad name but the reality is you don't know what you're talking about. I hope you get IBB, odds are your eyes will be opened.

Lemming wrote:
    You seem to have a very selective memory. I can recall significantly more threads about eircom's woeful customer services (indeed I've experienced them myself), terrible products and general lack of availability/quality than IBB or anyone else.

There has been a lot of complaining about Eircom's monopoly of the market, price gauging and other anti-competitive practices, but these are more IOFFL issues.

I have seen very few complaints about the actual Eircom service, it works extremely well and it is very stable. Sure there has been the odd hicup, but it is usually quickly fixed and there has never been consistent complaints about Eircoms service.

Yes, people have complained about caps and prices, but not the actual service. That is the major difference, IBB complaints are actually about the quality of the service.
    Lemming wrote:
    I can also recall significant wrath being directed at UTV-Internet once people started having problems also, despite their probably having been the most interactive ISP on these boards. Digi-Web, NTL, Esat BT? And so on so forth.

You have a short memory yourself, most of the major complaints about UTV started coming after UTV stopped interacting on these boards.

As I have said multiple times, every ISP has had complaints against them, but IBB seems to have a hughly disproportionate amount of complaints and the complaints are of a much more serious type.

Just look at this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=5096

over 50% of IBB's customers aren't happy with the service or have left. If the customers who say they are happy, in the comments they say that they also suffer from lots of disconnections, etc. but they can live with it. Personally I can't imagine this, my NTL has n't failed me once.
    Lemming wrote:
    Almost all the other ISPs do not rely on a wireless medium to provide their service. Have you thought about that /minor/ little fact? Antennae get knocked out of alignment. Somebody running a homegrown wireless kit that's somehow running interference across a signal. Etc etc.

While that is true, IBB's problems go much deeper. From what I have heard, IBB simply doesn't have sufficient backhaul, that is what is causing most of the problems. It seems IBB decided not to lay fibre backhaul to all their sites, instead most of the sites are connected using wireless backhaul. This has proven to be a major problem as the wireless backhaul is pretty unstable and can't handle the bandwidth demands.
    Lemming wrote:
    Once again can I point to your very selective memory? That statement is woefully inaccurate.

Here is a selection of just a couple of threads with praise for various ISPs:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=3482272
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=298312
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=309390
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=312746
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=311882
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=309016
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=310435

All of these threads have lots of compliments about various ISP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

As a matter of interest (and slightly OT), what is a decent average ping for say:

www.google.com
    www.boards.ie
    www.bbc.co.uk

etc...

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    As a matter of interest (and slightly OT), what is a decent average ping for say:

www.google.com
    www.boards.ie
    www.bbc.co.uk

etc...

Google - 120 - 140ms
    boards - 20 - 40ms
    uk sites - 40 - 50ms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Cheers, I'm within those speeds this morning but I can't say I'd be too confident about it at 7pm this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Aye, but IBB used to average 7ms to boards. Now they average 40ms. Peaking at over 1000ms. This connection is FAR to unstable to play FPS style games. Their network has really hit the ****ter in the last few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

mlink73 wrote:
    I was on to the so called "technical support" again about my problem with literally no connnection at all since 10 days. Since I reported that case last Tuesday I was basically on to IBB everyday but there was neither any improvement nor at least a clear statement from IBB.

So I told that guy today that it seems I'm not the only one experience massive problems with their network and their non existing customer service since a lot of people report simiular cases every day on boards.ie.

Guess what this guys answer was: Don't take that board serious and you shouldn't look for advise there. Those people complain about everything and most of the people complaining about us are not even customers.

Isn't that great? They do not even ignore those issues, they even blame those people to be liars.

I think the topic of this thread is a little wrong. A rep of IBB thinks this thread is bull not really IBB its self. One rep told me a while back that pings over 150 should be fine. But I knew this was just a rep trying to get me off the phone. What these guys say and what IBB really do and think are different. I ve made my 8th call to them today in 2 weeks and finaly got some info from the rep today. Each rep is different so dont mind what one tells you. IBB are really worried about the views expressed on this board it costs them loads of new customers every day as well as others jumping ship. My 5 cents worth anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Well Spooky .. if they are reading this.

IBB!! I got a landline installed and I'm moving!! Still waiting for your call about moving me from Ballycoolin mast to Clonsilla mast. I'm not ringing you again .. for a 40 minute wait. If your tracing IPs .. you know who I am .. sort it .. or loose another customer.

Period!!

IBB are really worried about the views expressed on this board it costs them loads of new customers every day as well as others jumping ship. My 5 cents worth anyway.

Don't make me laugh..... If IBB were worried they would have done something about the issues. They are a joke of an operation and deserve to fold. In this day & age no company should be allowed to treat customers poorly. My utter contempt for IBB is still growing and I left the feckers back in Sept after 3 months of dismal service. People need to vote with their feet and walk (better still run) away from IBB. :cool:

oN A Positive note the more customers that leave them the better it may get for the rest of the por souls still stuck on IBB.

Macker1 wrote:
    Don't make me laugh..... If IBB were worried they would have done something about the issues. They are a joke of an operation and deserve to fold. In this day & age no company should be allowed to treat customers poorly. My utter contempt for IBB is still growing and I left the feckers back in Sept after 3 months of dismal service. People need to vote with their feet and walk (better still run) away from IBB. :cool:

Well ok they dont care that we have bad connections but any company has to be worried about loosing customers now matter how. I agree i think their BB division may well go down hill. On RTE artel news a while back it said profits were suffering for their BB division and even sited Boards.ie as one of the out lets customers were using to vent their frustrations.

Well ok they dont care that we have bad connections but any company has to be worried about loosing customers now matter how. I agree i think their BB division may well go down hill. On RTE artel news a while back it said profits were suffering for their BB division and even sited Boards.ie as one of the out lets customers were using to vent their frustrations.

Good connections are a requirement for an ISP so they miss on that one. Hurrah for Boards.ie as a form of anger management. By being able to vent fustrations and share the pain at least the sanity of people who are either ex-IBB or still in the devils bosom can be preserved. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

bubby wrote:
    Well Spooky .. if they are reading this.

IBB!! I got a landline installed and I'm moving!! Still waiting for your call about moving me from Ballycoolin mast to Clonsilla mast. I'm not ringing you again .. for a 40 minute wait. If your tracing IPs .. you know who I am .. sort it .. or loose another customer.

Period!!

I was in the same boat - moved from Ballycoolin to Clonsilla -
    word of warning - Clonsilla was excellent for 2 months now it is in the **** tonights speeds 21k down 30 up - YES that is kpbs ...

Been like this for 2 weeks - "We are waiting on Hardware upgrades"

Too late - I have voted with my feet - now just a matter of a bill I haven't paid - lets negotiate :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭pete

bk wrote:
    over 50% of IBB's customers aren't happy with the service or have left.

That's hardly representative. I'd imagine IBB have more than 43 customers.

From the "Collating complaints..." thread:
    so far I have had 9 people bother to send me on the information needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭arcane99

pete wrote:
    That's hardly representative. I'd imagine IBB have more than 43 customers.

From the "Collating complaints..." thread:.

Yes, but I suspect that the people on here complaining about IBB are people who rely on good connections and who know a bit about systems. Not all just use it to get mail and look up cheap flights.

I would also have the fear that a company with so little regard for their customers, that if the government, or say, the software alliance or Imra got on to them to report on traffic details, these lot would be the type that would hand over the details without question.

• Advertisement

yeap i have it at home and in work and its great when its down in work :D no connections to our live enviroment servers :D

Advertisement