Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uninvited Guest

Options
  • 13-10-2005 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

I spotted an uninvited guest scurrying about my home last night.
    I guess it was a field mouse wanting out of the fields for the winter.
    Any advice on how to shift it (hopefully not them) will be appreciated. The old style neck cracking type mousetrap is what I have in mind, maybe one with cheese and one with ham.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭patrido

I spotted an uninvited guest scurrying about my home last night.
    I guess it was a field mouse wanting out of the fields for the winter.
    Any advice on how to shift it (hopefully not them) will be appreciated. The old style neck cracking type mousetrap is what I have in mind, maybe one with cheese and one with ham.

by coincidence, last night I was doing some studding upstairs in the house i'm building, and i heard an uninvited guest. never got to see him, because he seemed to be in the wall cavity!!!! and he sounded like he was shredding my insulation at a huge rate.

i plugged in one of those ultrasonic jobbies (like a pestx, but a different brand that i can't remember) which i had bought last weekend, and when i checked back a few minutes later he was gone or at least not shredding the insulation anymore. it is supposed to emit a high pitched noise that drives them nuts, or at least out.

the one i bought works on both ultrasonic and electromagnetic and cost about €45 in homebase.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Mice like a nice bit of hang..
    forget the fromage. They are really not that fond of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭loz

olaola wrote:
    Mice like a nice bit of hang..
    forget the fromage. They are really not that fond of it.

chocolate works

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

loz wrote:
    chocolate works

True,
    Melt or mash a bit of chocolate around the metal clip part of the trap, (when it is NOT set).
    This means the little bugger cannot pull it off and avoid the SNAP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

We had a couple before a recent upgrade to the kitchen that were running up a drainpipe and in through the old vent hole.

A great way is to catch them in a "humane" mousetrap which we did very effectively with some chocolate. They need to climb in and the door closes behind them.

You can buy these in many places we got them from Baumanns
    http://www.baumanns.ie
    Then you can place the caught mice where you like :D (far away )

Redman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Ime, mice are very attracted to bacon fat and peanut butter. Whatever you do don't get a glue trap. Unless you enjoy the idea of killing a struggling rodent with a hammer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭skye

I have one aswell!! The little bugger ate the cheese off TWO traps and got away!! Am I setting them wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

In the last few weeks I have caught 3 so far.They all seemed mid size and not small.So trap is set again.I have blocked off were I think they came in so lets hope there is not a tribe under kitchen floor. :eek:

Just thinking also there is a heap of stray living in neighbours shed,they dont seem to be any good those pesky cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭charlesanto

I bought the last humane trap in woodies yesterday - primed it with chocolate sauce at 1am, at 7am the mouse was released :):) . I reset the trap in case there is more than one mouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ScottishDanny

I recommend using ham/cooked bacon and add some chocolate/Jam/peanut butter. The trick is to SEW the bait onto the trap (the neckbreaker kind) through the staple. Then the rodent will tug at the bait and get caught. I reckon if you don't, they sniff around it - the trap goes off, the bait flies off and they get a free meal. DO NOT USE POISON. the rodent will eat it and die(probably under floorboards or in a wall) and stink as it decomposes. When you catch your furry friend - reset the trap and keep doing so until it lies empty for a while, mice are not loners. Two mice can produce 80 babies in a year (a good reason not to catch them humanely and let them go again).

Good Luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Good man Charlesanto!

Advertisement