Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City as Film Set / Location

Options
  • 13-10-2005 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭

Hi there,

Anyone have a list of movies that used Cork City / County as a backdrop over the last 50 years or so?

So far

Moby Dick - Youghal
    Angelas Ashes - Cork City
    Last Great Train Robbery - Kent Station, Cork
    War of the buttons

Regards,
    Mark.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

I know for definite that they were filming in Mallow town down by Chadwicks for 2 days in June/July this summer but I can't remember what film it was for!! Hopefully someone will remember.. the streets were closed off etc. Head like a sieve!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Ballycotton was being used as the backdrop to a film with Marlon Brando and John Hurt a few years back. It ended up being shelved.

I remember being there one day during the filming - there was something quiet surreal to see Don Corleone dressed as a priest and having fish thrown down onto him from a roof making it look as if it was raining fish!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Cork_girl wrote:
    I know for definite that they were filming in Mallow town down by Chadwicks for 2 days in June/July this summer but I can't remember what film it was for!! Hopefully someone will remember.. the streets were closed off etc. Head like a sieve!!
    Might have been The Wind that Shakes the Barley? I know they were filiming that in West Cork this summer, maybe they shot some of it in Malla.

If you go to http://www.imdb.com/Sections/Locations/ and search for 'Cork' then it will give you some films which were filmed in Cork. It has all the ones mentioned but there are some missing... Moll Flanders (1996), for example, was partially filmed in Bantry. They had fierce trouble trying to find enough black people in the area to act as extras as slaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

a little village in north cork called Glanworth (along the backroad between fermoy and mitchelstown) was used a fair bit in a movie with Bob Hoskins in it.. really weird film, it was called "Felicity's Journey"

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭namaimo

Disco Pigs was part filmed in Cork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭namaimo

This site gives ones filmed all over Ireland http://www.irelandbreaks.co.uk/leisure/accommodation/choice_films.htm

It says Moby Dick was done in Cork. Hope that helps! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭betelgeuse

Delphi91 wrote:
    Ballycotton was being used as the backdrop to a film with Marlon Brando and John Hurt a few years back. It ended up being shelved.
    Oh yes, Divine Rapture. I remember d'Echo being obsessed with it. And was it not Brando and Johnny Depp rather than John Hurt?

Bits of I Went Down were filmed in and around Cork county.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Song for A Raggy Boy used the old Coláiste Íosagáin grounds in Ballyvourney, as well as parts of the square in Macroom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭smileygal

TV Film/Mini-series of Good Behaviour by Molly Keane was made in Kinsale in the 1980s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭*Lees*

The assisination scene on Michael Collins was shot in Cork!! Also I think (I could be wrong about this) some of Saving Private Ryan was shot in Cork because I know they had loads of soldier's from Collin's Barrack's were extra's in some fighting scenes!!... it could have been waterford though they used?? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

lisamon wrote:
    The assisination scene on Michael Collins was shot in Cork!! Also I think (I could be wrong about this) some of Saving Private Ryan was shot in Cork because I know they had loads of soldier's from Collin's Barrack's were extra's in some fighting scenes!!... it could have been waterford though they used?? :D

saving private ryan was a beach in wexford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭*Lees*

oh yea... waterford... wexford.... something like that!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 complex

namaimo wrote:
    Disco Pigs was part filmed in Cork

yeah, that seems to have the best views of cork in the background
    in 'i went down' they alledgedly go to cork (in the plot) but im not too sure

in the series 'falling for a dancer' theres scenes filmed in sundays well

Advertisement