Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

€20K - €24K Which car ?

Options
  • 13-10-2005 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭

I know this is highly subjective, but I am looking at changing the car in the next few months, I will have a budget of about €20-26K (depending on the car). Previously I was thinking of buying one of the new leon's and have decided against it on two grounds: 1) don't want to buy a new car again. 2) it is a tad on the small size .. I would like something bigger.

My parameters at the moment are:

-Min 1.6L - Max 2.0L
    -Saloon
    -no older than 01
    -nice to the eye (not a run of the mill boring car)
    -well equipped
    -not a 3-series BMW

I would really like to hear some opinions, I have already had people on to me about Saab 9-3's, IS200's, 318's !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭NotInventedHere

01-02 audi a4 1.8 petrol or better still 1.9tdilike this

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

01-02 audi a4 1.8 petrol or better still 1.9tdilike this

... or a new Skoda Octavia. I know you dont want a new car but you have to question the wisdom of spending more on a s/h audi as you would on a new car that is essentially the same. Having said that the Audi is a nicer looking car, and will have stuff like climate control which is absent on all but the top of the range Skodas. I'd still go for a new car though, for the plain reason you know how it has been looked after from new.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

This will be an unpopular one, but how about this: http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=306934

It's a 2.0 HDI Peugeot 607 SE. 110 BHP engine that's well proven. Spec is out of this world. Dual memory electric seats, leather heated seats, dual climate, a boot you could live in and loads of small details to make this a smashing car. The better engine is the 2.2 HDI which still returns almost 50 mpg and will cost just another 200 a year in tax. It's a beautiful cruiser. Very comfortable.

People will go at you that it'll plummet in value as soon as you buy it, but it has already plummeted and you shouldn't lose any more than another purchase. Although an Audi/VW will hold it's value better, it'll have windy up windows and rubbish spec though.

Just a suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

AlanD wrote:
    This will be an unpopular one, but how about this: http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=306934
    I'm not normally a big fan of the 607 but I admit that it looks pretty good in black with those leather seats.

Here's another unpopular choice which isn't a run of the mill car and is packed with equipment - Renault Vel Satis 2.0 petrol, a bit above budget at 28k but it's a 03 car
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=255314

Another Vel Satis, 02 reg, is just within budget but is a 2.2 litre diesel
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=302806

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

cheers for the suggestions lads,

The Pug does look tempting, but I am on the right side of 30 and I don't think a big french crusier would really inspire me.

The S60 and the Accord would tickle my fancy alright, I am a big fan of volvos having had the pleasure of a s40 T4 for a few months in another job (company car), and I know the accord looks the part and an engine that will be still around when most cars are running on freshly cut grass.

Mazda 6 and A4's are just alittle too bland for my liking as with the skodas. However that VelSatis for some reason is playing with my curiosity. I have heard great reports about them and they are unusual, but a 2.2 diesel would be a bit over the top.

Now it is time to start talking to the better half and see if I can inflate that budget a bit more!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Well if you like Volvos you should look at the S80 as well. 01-02 S80s with the 2.0T engine are available for your budget.
    eg
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=285711

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭pbergin

whippet wrote:
    the Accord would tickle my fancy alright,

Well today might be your lucky day.
    I have a 03 Accord Executive (full leather, dvd player etc) and I might be selling it in the next month or two, it would be to the top of your burget but it is really an excellent car and still covered by manufacturers warrenty

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

pbergin wrote:
    Well today might be your lucky day.
    I have a 03 Accord Executive (full leather, dvd player etc) and I might be selling it in the next month or two, it would be to the top of your burget but it is really an excellent car and still covered by manufacturers warrenty

when you are thinking of selling PM me and I will see how my finances are, at the moment a new house is taking priority! but I am looking at late december or january.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭pbergin

whippet wrote:
    when you are thinking of selling PM me and I will see how my finances are, at the moment a new house is taking priority! but I am looking at late december or january.

Will do, whippet. Im in a similar suitation and Im selling the accord to buy a cheap banger, when finances allow I will be looking for another accord.

• Advertisement
Advertisement