Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dyslexic

• 13-10-2005 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭

could someone please tell me what exactly it means to be dyslexic (why the f*ck is that so hard to spell!!!) because I think I might have a mild form of it. sometimes when I am reading I'll miss a word and be like "wait a sec... this makes no sense" so I'll re-read the part and read the 'missing word' that time and me like "God dammit!" it's really annoying when it happens while reading a novel. anyway aswell as that sometimes words, and I mean your average joe soap words, look strange to me sometimes and I wonder if I have spelt it right or not.

does anyone else have these problems? like is it normal behaviour or do I indeed have dyslexia?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

doesnt sound like it to me.
    i often miss words when i read, but thats because im a lazy reader.
    im not dyslexic, i just cant spell for crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

Hey Marts

www.dyslexia.ie

Check it out.

I know enough about dyslexia to realise that I'd be totally useless at diagnosing it. Have a read at that site... it seems to have loads of information about the condition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

mikeruurds wrote:
    Hey Marts

www.dyslexia.ie

Check it out.

I know enough about dyslexia to realise that I'd be totally useless at diagnosing it. Have a read at that site... it seems to have loads of information about the condition.
    thanx but... that's more for if you have a child with dyslexia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Joeface

Hi ... u may or may not be dyslexic, there are different degrees of it , some worse effected than others, I happen to be one of these ppl , doesnt bother me in so much , only when I read a book or something , the whole this makes no sense thing happens, effects me in work some times as well , I work in design so if miss read a customers spec it tends to have very bad knock on effects,
    quick google search helps explain it better dyslexia

Teach in college recommend I be tested for it , cant remember the test now , dont think there was much too it , kinda explains why I sucked at english in school,

... yeah, but it gives you a description of what dyslexia is and also gives you contact information for help/diagnosis. Also... see the "adult" section.

People of all ages cope with dyslexia and I'm assuming that the dyslexia association of Ireland would offer assistance to all of them.

I also miss out words when I read and I definitely do not have dyslexia. I'd like to think that teachers would care enough to spot the early signs of the condition when you're in your early school years. But it is possible for a mild form to go unnoticed... I think so anyway.

• Advertisement

Joeface wrote:
    Hi ... u may or may not be dyslexic, there are different degrees of it , some worse effected than others, I happen to be one of these ppl , doesnt bother me in so much , only when I read a book or something , the whole this makes no sense thing happens, effects me in work some times as well , I work in design so if miss read a customers spec it tends to have very bad knock on effects,
    quick google search helps explain it better dyslexia

Teach in college recommend I be tested for it , cant remember the test now , dont think there was much too it , kinda explains why I sucked at english in school,
    thanx a lot man, I did a test and the results say there is a low chance I have dyslexia

mikeruurds wrote:
    ... yeah, but it gives you a description of what dyslexia is and also gives you contact information for help/diagnosis. Also... see the "adult" section.

People of all ages cope with dyslexia and I'm assuming that the dyslexia association of Ireland would offer assistance to all of them.

I also miss out words when I read and I definitely do not have dyslexia. I'd like to think that teachers would care enough to spot the early signs of the condition when you're in your early school years. But it is possible for a mild form to go unnoticed... I think so anyway.
    I appreciated the fact that you wanted to help, it was just that on first glampse it looked like a website for if you have a child with dyslexia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Marts wrote:
    could someone please tell me what exactly it means to be dyslexic (why the f*ck is that so hard to spell!!!)

It's one of the ironys of life...Like the way they put an "S" in lisp.

Here's some info

DubGuy wrote:

Haha... that's some funny sh1t

DubGuy wrote:

Here's some info
    yeah, and why the f*ck is the phobia for long words Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia?

I mean try asking someone who has that fear what they are afraid of
    "I can't say it"
    "you could just write it down"
    "THAT'S EVEN WORSE!!!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Number6

I have mild dyslexia. It doesn't usually affect me, although I can easily confuse 1, 7, I, L... ect.

It's only really effected me this year, as it makes taking down scientific notes in lecturers damn near impossible (never mind trying to dycipher handwriting :) )

Advertisement