Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripwave

• 13-10-2005 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭

Anyone out there at all happy with their IBB Ripwave?

Thinking of getting it...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Try Clearwire if they are available to you. Better service.

www.clearwire.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Kraggy - DONT GET RIPWAVE. It is atrocious. I got it thinking I might be lucky and it is actually much slower than dialup.

Get Clearwire, I have them now and they are fantastic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

It depends where you are in relation to the mast. If your close you will have no problems.

If your further away you may have slower speed. When you ring sales find out where the mast is in relation you, and get real numbers, locations, etc.

If they advise you not to get it (and they might!) do not get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

As said earlier, DO NOT GET RIPWAVE. Avoid IBB if possible.

Go for Clearwire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Dublindude, there is a thread called "do you have irish broadband?" with 4 options one of which should suit you.

Have you ever had it, or is this another case of "its terrible or so I have heard".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I've had them. My reliability with Breeze was OK, but my Ripwave was a joke.

Their support is a joke.

They are not quite Eircom bad, but I would never use again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭delboy159

Isn't Clearwire twice the price of Ripwave?

And when you say bad - is it poor download speeds or poor customer service etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭The Troll

IBB are absolute garbage. I was with them for 2 months then changed to Esta. Much much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭delboy159

To be honest I was looking for a specific answer to my question, not another "everything is garbage rant" When I looked at getting UTV internet I heard the same sort of feedback, but when I got the service it was fine.

Specific reasons would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Tazz T

1. Lot of downtime. I couldn't connect all Monday night.

2. There is NO customer service at all. There is an email address but no one will reply and there is a telephone number - no one will help.

3. Returning/recieving your modem takes weeks. In my case months.

4. Speeds are (when operating well) not much better than 56k.

Or the bright side - it's cheap and you can get rid of your landline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭onedmc

My Ripwave is alot slower (when it works at all) than dial-up.

As for customer service I stopped paying for ripwave 14Months ago, it still operates (as such) and they still write to me to thank me for staying with them. So their customer service is a mess

onedmc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

IrishTLR wrote:
    Try Clearwire if they are available to you. Better service.

www.clearwire.ie

I went to that site and i cant find any pertinant info there. Like how much and where can one get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

syklops wrote:
    It depends where you are in relation to the mast. If your close you will have no problems.

If your further away you may have slower speed. When you ring sales find out where the mast is in relation you, and get real numbers, locations, etc.

If they advise you not to get it (and they might!) do not get it.
    BS!
    I have a strong link to the mast. When I got ripwave a year ago the speed was great. Now, like everyone else it seems, i'm lucky to get dialup speeds. Downtime is also unacceptable.
    It is cheap however, less than €20 per month. If you just want it for doin a bit of web browsing, and don't do any downloading, then it's ok. But i'd never call it broadband. More like always* on dialup.

*Ok, realistically more like sometimes on!

delboy159 wrote:
    Isn't Clearwire twice the price of Ripwave?

And when you say bad - is it poor download speeds or poor customer service etc.

Yes, but their cheapest plan is twice the speed of ripwave, it's 1Mb.
    I had ripwave for nearly a week, I live about half a mile away from the nearest transmitter and it was still slower than dialup. I was getting pings of nearly 1000ms! That's absolutely abysmal.

I brought it back to the shop and ordered Clearwire, they came out the same day to set it up.

I would rather pay twice the price for Clearwire because clearwire actually works brilliantly, and you can actually get through to a human being if you have any problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭yak_kadafi

ripwave=****e
    their service,their connections..pretty much everything about them................i wouldnt even turn to them as a last resort

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭b3n

I went to that site and i cant find any pertinant info there. Like how much and where can one get it.

See http://www.clearwire.ie/service/tariffs.html for cost etc.

After callin the number in the TV ad to check to see if i could get Ripwave in my ground floor apartment the class A idiot on the phone talked me through the entire service and had me sold only to reveal that they dont provide the service to people in apartments, owned OR leased! After pressing him on why he couldnt give me a reason but stalled and tried to sell me the one for 35 bucks a month and they have to fit a cable and antenna on your house...

nuff said!

b3n wrote:
    See http://www.clearwire.ie/service/tariffs.html for cost etc.

After callin the number in the TV ad to check to see if i could get Ripwave in my ground floor apartment the class A idiot on the phone talked me through the entire service and had me sold only to reveal that they dont provide the service to people in apartments, owned OR leased! After pressing him on why he couldnt give me a reason but stalled and tried to sell me the one for 35 bucks a month and they have to fit a cable and antenna on your house...

nuff said!

Sounds like he is misinformed (suprise surprise!). I'd imagine they have reservations giving Breeze (antenna service) to people in apartments due to landlords objecting, but ripwave? Its a 30 day rolling contract and it sits in your windowsil, no reason at all that people renting can't get it.

Not that'd you'd want it though :-)

Advertisement