Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

web design

Options
  • 13-10-2005 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

hi all,

As part of my job (scientist) im required to update our web page which uses frontpage. I get by and can do it easliy enough however im not a web designer and would be lot more confident if i got some training. i just want to be able to construct a new professional looking website from scratch. can anyone give me advice. should i do a course or just slog it out and teach myself. thanks a mill in advance.

ol.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

ollief wrote:
    hi all,

As part of my job (scientist) im required to update our web page which uses frontpage. I get by and can do it easliy enough however im not a web designer and would be lot more confident if i got some training. i just want to be able to construct a new professional looking website from scratch. can anyone give me advice. should i do a course or just slog it out and teach myself. thanks a mill in advance.

ol.

Who is the target audience of the website - is it for internal use, or a corporate website? If the latter, I would be inclined to leave this to someone with experience in this.

If you are interested in learning more about web-design, there are plenty of tutorials online, and should be easy enough for you to pick up. One thing to bear in mind is that although HTML is very simple, using it effectively is a skill that can take a while to learn.

Do you envisage regular updates to the site? If so, then you may want to consider a Content Management System that uses a database to hold content, therefore removing the need (hopefully) to edit HTML pages directly.

<edit>
    Just to say that I don't mean to put you off, just that a corporate website is not the ideal one to use as your first foray into web-development.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I've found the best advice by looking at other peoples sites and seeing how they do the things they do. Then googling for more info.

Is there anything in particular you want to learn?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Hi ollief,
    If i were you i'd just use Wordpress . Its similar to a content management but probably a bit more practical than using a fully fledged CMS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ollief

Cheers for the advice everyone. The site is a departmental site in a college to be viewed by public and internal staff. i was looking down the road of doing the ciw courses at night but heard some dodgey reports about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

ollief wrote:
    Cheers for the advice everyone. The site is a departmental site in a college to be viewed by public and internal staff. i was looking down the road of doing the ciw courses at night but heard some dodgey reports about it.
    As far as certification goes: it may not be the spectacular winner you'd hope on the CV.. but it'd probably teach you what you want to know. If you have a short timeframe: a course may indeed be the right way to go.

The first question you have to be asking (Before who will develop the solution) is what is the required solution.. Follow on from the previous questions (Audience,etc.) and stretch it out to try understand: who will be using? what will they be using it for (The devil's in the detail! will they need to upload files? should the files be viewable by them only? by registered/logged in users? can the public view?)

Check out WordPress (With an upload plug-in perhaps), or Moodle* (:OS / Free )

http://moodle.org/ : CMS, typically the structure suits the sort of thing you have so far described,and the support is free and good!

• Advertisement
Advertisement