Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pedals and Shoes

Options
  • 13-10-2005 4:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hi,
    I am looking at getting a set of clip-on pedals and shoes(or whatever the name is) and I was looking for advice?
    Is there different kinds?
    Can you use one manufacturers shoes with another's pedals?
    Is there any brands you'd recommend/avoid?
    How much would you have to spend to get a semi-decent pair?

cheers
    Dan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭mockerydawg

For road or mtb? The differences are fairly huge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 dan_an_fear

Sorry, for road.
    For the sake of a clueless newbie, what are the differences?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Can you use one manufacturers shoes with another's pedals?
    Yes. There are 3 parts: shoes, cleats and pedals.
    The cleats and pedals are a matching set. Shoes are generic.

My mountain bike came with Shimano M520 pedals. They are quite small (feel really strange when you don't have cycling shoes on). They use small "SPD" cleats.

The Shimano 6610SL is a road pedal ("SPD-SL" cleat). The cleat is much bigger giving better power transfer to the pedal. I also think that cleats on road shoes are a little more forward than on mtn bike shoes, again for better power transfer.

On BikeDock.com the Shimano shoe prices range from e53 to e150. (BikeDock range is bigger than ChainReactionCycles.com. A Shimano list was convenient).

If you take a size 37 shoe there is a pair of Shimano R125 shoes for e53 (originally e125).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Go to Cyclesuperstore in Dublin and get the lightweight Look Keo classic. Only 59 Euro and 280 grams for the pair (which is 3 grams heavier than the Shimano Dura Ace Pedal !!!) They have also very relaxed springs, good enough to grip you and good enough for a newbie to get in and out of quickly. Unbelievable value. In addition, the new Kep cleat has a bigger surface/contact area than previous looks and probably the SPD-SL too.

After that pick up any old pair of shoes to get you going. I started off with a 60 euro pair of vittoria's, no complaints, did the wicklow 200, ring of Kerry and a few races in them, not a bother.

By the way, shipping for those pedals from cyclesuperstore.ie is free. Handy if you don't live in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 dan_an_fear

Cheers Quigs,
    I'll have a look. What's the story with shoes? Will any shoe fit any pedal/cleat?
    Is it possible to walk in them or will you destroy the cleats?
    cheers
    Dan

• Advertisement
Advertisement