Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgraded to BT BroadBand+, how long before it's switched on?

• 13-10-2005 7:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭

As it says on the tin - I upgraded from BT Broadband to BT Broadband Plus today, how long do I have to wait before it's switched on?
    I would have thought it would be instantanous (sp?) - tick a check box or something to increase the speed?
    Maybe there's more to it than that?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

It was 10 or 11 working days for me as far as I remember.
    I think the request is passed onto Eircom and they make the change. Could be wrong on that one though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Jaysus, that's a long time, thought I'd have it tomorrow :rolleyes:
    Although after reading some of the threads here re broadband (or lack of), I guess I should be glad I can get it at all :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Wouldn't BT be able to tell you this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

Kieran from BT told me it would take 1-2 working days and that they could do it themselves. That didn't quite tie up with other postings that stated that an Eircom technician had to make the switch at the exchange.

I've been waiting over a week now to be switched to 2mb. I had ordered 2mb but was connected at 1mb.

It seems to be a common occurance when switching from a 1mb line with another provider or current customers upgrading to plus. New connections don't seem to have this problem.
    I do think it is Eircom that have to make the change though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Wouldn't BT be able to tell you this?

Having dealt with numerous customer service people over the years, I don't believe a word that any of the following people tell me:
    Broadband Providers,
    Mobile Providers,
    Car Salesmen,
    Any of the staff in Dixons, Currys, PC World etc.,
    Anyone that owes me money (you'll have it tomorrow :rolleyes: )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭demac

I'm switching from UTV to BT Broadband Plus. I returned the DSL Transfer Form and Broadband Application form about 5 to 6 weeks ago. Last week I received the Modem but my UTV line is still up and active.
    Can never seem to get through to BT on the phone. I've left messages requesting a callback and nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

To get any line changes Eircom need to send an Engineer to your exchange.
    Upgrades require them to attach you to a different card in the Exchange to bring ur speeds to 2Mbit and Ratio to 24:1.

demac wrote:
    I'm switching from UTV to BT Broadband Plus. I returned the DSL Transfer Form and Broadband Application form about 5 to 6 weeks ago. Last week I received the Modem but my UTV line is still up and active.
    Can never seem to get through to BT on the phone. I've left messages requesting a callback and nothing.
    You need to ring UTV and cancel your subscription or they'll keep charging you every month. They need 30 days notice so you'll probably get caught for another month sub. The DTAF only gives Eircom permission to transfer the service. It DOES NOT cancel your contract with UTV.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Diabolus wrote:
    To get any line changes Eircom need to send an Engineer to your exchange.
    Upgrades require them to attach you to a different card in the Exchange to bring ur speeds to 2Mbit and Ratio to 24:1.

That is extremely unlikely, all the DSLAM ports are the same (unless you are talking ADSL vs ADSL2+). The speeds and contention ratio you get is "Virtually" shaped by software further up in Eircoms network. They can change your package by flicking a button from their office.

Otherwise it would have taken them months to upgrade everyone to 1 and 2 Mbit/s from 512k, instead it took less then a day.

Don't believe the BS Eircom/BT feed you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭demac

Hello again,
    This evening I noticed my DSL line was down so I decided to try BT again. Finally got through and was told line was already changed over from UTV. I put my new BT username and password into the wireless router settings and low and behold a few hours later, here we are online again.
    Me problem is that I requested the 2MB Broadband Plus package but when I do a speed test at http://www.irishisptest.com/myspeed/, I get 860kbps downstream and 106kbps upstream.
    Is this speed test reliable ?

Advertisement