Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MySQL - connect/disconnect to db twice in a script - bad?

Options
  • 13-10-2005 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭

I have 2 db user accounts, one can only SELECT, the other can read and write.
    My CGI script currently connects with the read-only account.
    I want to, in the same script, accept input from a user and add a record to the db.

Should I, for security, read with read-only account, disconnect and reconnect with the read/write account to add the record? Will the reconnect be overly expensive timewise?
    I know that I can do it all with the read/write account. I'm just trying to be as proper and secure as I can.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

You should use the lowest necessary privilege per script of course, but in this case, I'm not sure I could see a security advantage in doing it this particular way to be honest. Can you give a code example?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭theexis

If you're doing things by the book, create a stored procedure for the 1 "write" operation and give execute permission only on that to the "read only user". Also, what do you mean by "the user account can only SELECT" - that could be a security hole as well depending on what they can actually SELECT from.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭daymobrew

The database is on SourceForge.net who host my BusSched app. They provide MySQL 4.1.10a and I have 3 accounts. The MySQL docs for 4.1 don't mention stored procedures, except in relation to Java connectivity , and even that reference mentions MySQL 5.0. The 5.0 docs have a large section on stored procedures. Maybe not in 4.1?
    theexis wrote:
    that could be a security hole as well depending on what they can actually SELECT from.
    When I poke around with phpMyAdmin I only see my database and processes, so I assume they've limited what my 3 accounts can see.
    theexis wrote:
    create a stored procedure for the 1 "write" operation and give execute permission only on that to the "read only user".
    I don't think I have permission (even the 3rd, admin account) to grant permissions. Admin account has "SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, ALTER, CREATE, CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE, DROP, INDEX and LOCK TABLES" privileges so I might be able to create one but not restrict its use.

You can read the full code. It's in perl.
    See the
    # TODO: Store data in database. Decide on user to use.

line for where I would think about putting the "write" code. I would probably move the later SELECT statement to earlier, and store the results in an array of arrays.

Here is part of the perl code that retrieves some data.
    # Connect to the database.
    my $dbh = DBI->connect("DBI:mysql:database=$database;host=$server",
                           $dbuser, $dbpw, {'RaiseError' => 1});

# Retrieve some stats.
    my $sth = $dbh->prepare( 'SELECT FORMAT( (MAX( odometer ) / SUM( litres ) ), 2), FORMAT( (MAX( odometer ) / SUM( litres ) * '.LITRE2GALLON.' ), 2), MAX(mpl),MAX(mpg) FROM `car_mileage`');
    $sth->execute();
    my @stats = $sth->fetchrow_array();
    # Retrieve min values, excluding the first fill where mileage is obviously zero.
    $sth = $dbh->prepare( 'SELECT MIN(mpl),MIN(mpg),MAX(odometer) FROM `car_mileage` WHERE mpg!=0');
    $sth->execute();
    push( @stats, $sth->fetchrow_array() );

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Well make sure you don't put your read/write account and password in a world-readable script, of course. Read it in from a local file (out of the scope of the webserver if possible).

Stored procedures aren't available in MySQL 4.1, but a workaround could be to code a user function, although that would probably be overkill and I'm not sure whether you can assign permissions.

But still, although I'm no MySQL expert, I don't see a reason to do it the way you're asking about. The risky part is submitting the inputted data, and that has to be done with a write-enabled account (obviously). So if you're going to be using a write-enabled account anyway, I don't see how using a read-only account earlier in the same script is any more secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Sico wrote:
    Well make sure you don't put your read/write account and password in a world-readable script, of course. Read it in from a local file (out of the scope of the webserver if possible).
    Good point. I thought about that when I posted the link to the script.

• Advertisement
Advertisement