Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sushi?

Options
  • 13-10-2005 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I used to hate the stuff. But then I tried it and discovered it's actually quite nice! I'm thinking of opening up a sushi bar in Galway. Anyone think it's a good idea or am I a looney?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

What Sushi training have you got?
    I would suggest you employ a Japanese guy to make it.
    It is much more reassuring for patrons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

http://www.ideasfactory.com/training_courses/features/train_feature34.htm

have a read of that, is interesting enough.

Particularly this bit:
    Indeed, becoming a sushi master is no easy feat. In Japanese culture, the professional sushi chef is expected to train for up to ten years, more often than not as an apprentice in a restaurant, before they are granted the highly-respected title of itamae-san.
    :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭NoDayBut2Day

I like sushi, just not the kind with the *raw* fish! :eek:

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nns

Blub2k4 wrote:
    http://www.ideasfactory.com/training_courses/features/train_feature34.htm

have a read of that, is interesting enough.

Particularly this bit:

:cool:

Good website, cheers for that. Three years washing rice before a Sushi chef can touch the fish? Sounds challenging. Think I'd probably be outa there after 3 days! CJhaughey - I was thinking the same about employing a Japenese person to do it for me. As for the "raw fish" thing, I don't think I'm gonna go down that road. Seems to be every Irish person's reaction (including myself) so I'd cater to the irish palate. Smoked salmon and crabmeat would be about as far as I'd go on the fish thing cos people won't eat it otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

Sushi and Japanese food in general is my favourite food.

DOnt be afraid to go for the fish. you'd be suprised how many people will eat it.

It has to be one of the healthiest foods going.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

You want to open a sushi restuarant with no raw fish?
    How about a fish and chip shop instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Sushi is the rice preparation, Sashimi is the raw fish that sometimes goes with it.
    Raw fish is fine once you have a good chef who knows how to handle it and buys it fresh daily, otherwise it is an accident waiting to happen. The Irish will eat it, not everyone is ignorant these days and a lot have travelled and are not just accustomed to bacon, cabbage and potatoes anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Places that do sushi in Dublin are always packed so go for it.
    Definatly try find someone Japanese to make it though. When i make it it tastes exactly the same as at a sushi bar but it would not look as perfect and would take me longer to make.

AFAIK In proper restaurants in Japan they have dedicated rice chefs whose sole purpose is to make the sushi rice. Its not hard to do as such but to get it perfect every time in large quantities probably is.

by the way, the raw fish part is grand. Never tried anything too strange like fish eggs (warned they are horible) or blowfish etc. However salmon, Tuna etc raw is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

MMMMM sushi.

Was in Girona in Spain for a few days recently and had a meal in a sushi bar there that was absolutely top notch. For E30!! I'd say the same would be closer to E80 here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Found a lovely one in Paris.. huge platter of stuff. Though it was expensive. Pure Japanese too, they did not speak french too well, or maybe im so bad they did not understand me. :D Paris is way more expensive than Dublin. Except transport and even then not by much.

€80 for one person? I doubt even sushi which is expensive at the best of times could be so much for one person. Two maybe but not one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

I've gone off it. Bought some for lunch the other day and it had arctic surf clam in it. I'd never tried it before and I thought I'd give it a go. It was so disgusting! I have no problem with salmon trout, tuna etc. but just the thought of any kind of sushi after that experience makes me feel ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I had a plate of sashimi in Tokyo , cost €150 USD for a small plate.
    Fantastic though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

sushi is the food of the gods

one of the best reasons to travel is to get to eat good sushi

i'm just back from amsterdam - great place for sushi

ban-to is highly recommended :)

Saruman wrote:
    Found a lovely one in Paris.. huge platter of stuff. Though it was expensive. Pure Japanese too, they did not speak french too well, or maybe im so bad they did not understand me. :D Paris is way more expensive than Dublin. Except transport and even then not by much.

€80 for one person? I doubt even sushi which is expensive at the best of times could be so much for one person. Two maybe but not one.

E30 for two. This was for a bowl of yaki-udon, a bean sprout salad with a seared tuna steak. then followed by a platter of tuna/salmon sashimi and some kind of cucumber/crab magki. Also included were beers and other niceities. Huge portions, the kind that cost E15 each here.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Never tried anything too strange like fish eggs (warned they are horible)

I quite like them..but they are an acquired taste ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

As someone who has only tried sushi recently, I say to you;

For the love of baby Jesus go for it. It is surely the greatest food known to mankind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

sushi - yum.

except for the packaged stuff that marks and spencers sell beside their sandwiches - yuck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

Saruman wrote:
    Places that do sushi in Dublin are always packed so go for it.
    Definatly try find someone Japanese to make it though. When i make it it tastes exactly the same as at a sushi bar but it would not look as perfect and would take me longer to make.

How would you go about making it yourself? Finding the right kinds of fish and such?

I'm heading to Dublin this weekend, and I think that a trip to Aya or Yamamori's might be in order for some yummy sushi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

bedlam wrote:
    I know someone from Tokyo who, while holidaying in Ireland, went to Yamamori and was told by one of the Japanese staff not to eat there as the food was terrible. He chanced it any way and came to the same conclusion.

strange!
    the back table in yamamori is always packed with Japanese people.
    hmmm.
    the sushi in yamamori is so much nicer than that in aya.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sunshine34

What ever happened to this brilliant idea? Galway is crying out for a good one. I moved to Galway last year and go to Yamamouri everytime I return to Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

nns wrote: »
    Good website, cheers for that. Three years washing rice before a Sushi chef can touch the fish? Sounds challenging. Think I'd probably be outa there after 3 days! CJhaughey - I was thinking the same about employing a Japenese person to do it for me. As for the "raw fish" thing, I don't think I'm gonna go down that road. Seems to be every Irish person's reaction (including myself) so I'd cater to the irish palate. Smoked salmon and crabmeat would be about as far as I'd go on the fish thing cos people won't eat it otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

A big fat +1 to jam_mac_jam, your customers are coming to your restaurant to eat proper sushi...

Advertisement