Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Door locks

Options
  • 14-10-2005 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've almost bought my bran spankin new house and was looking at the front door the other day it is one of those wooden ones with a euro cylinder lock, the ones where you must have the key to open both inside and out. i want to install a night latch so that we dont have to have the key to open the door all the time but there is very little room on the door jam for the receiver of a night latch. Does anybody know of a lock type that would solve this problem or is it possible to switch the euro cylinder to a type with a "knob" on the inside

Cheers

Eddie

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Hi ,
    There is no reason why you cannot fit an appropriate handle onto your existing 3 point lock,

http://www.mila.co.uk/mila2003/index.php

There is a mila agency in Dublin, that should be able to sort out a handle for you.

kadman :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

There are a couple of solutions.

You can get a euro lock with a knob on the inside. Just measure the length of your lock length and the distance from one end to the centre hole, the come in various lengths. A solution I used myself is to get a version of the lock (from a locksmith) that allows you to put a key on the inside of the lock and still open it with a key on the outside with the key on the inside. I had to get my locksmith to order in this, it took a couple of weeks, the knob version should be in stock unless it is an odd length / size. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭eddiej

Kadman (as always a wealth of knowledge) and Dingding (not too short on the info yourself)

Thanks lads that mila website had almost what i was looking for, just one last thing though do you know if there is a thumbscrew version that allows you lock it with the key from inside, though I am not sure if this is really necessary. Oh ye and how do you change these blinkin cylinder locks do you have to take off the whole metal strip from top to bottom or are the retaining screws for the cylinder visible

Cheers

Eddie

PS anyone know good locksmith/shop around Lucan/Ashbourne (nice wide area)

eddiej wrote:
    Kadman (as always a wealth of knowledge) and Dingding (not too short on the info yourself)

Thanks lads that mila website had almost what i was looking for, just one last thing though do you know if there is a thumbscrew version that allows you lock it with the key from inside, though I am not sure if this is really necessary. Oh ye and how do you change these blinkin cylinder locks do you have to take off the whole metal strip from top to bottom or are the retaining screws for the cylinder visible

Cheers

Eddie

PS anyone know good locksmith/shop around Lucan/Ashbourne (nice wide area)

Yes there is a version that allows you to lock it from the inside.

If you look at the lock barrel where the key goes in , and transfer this line around to the edge of the door, about 10 mm below this point, you will see a large pozi screw. This is the cylinder screw. Put the key in the lock, remove the screw, and turn the key slightly, and push the barrel from the opposite side of the door. With a bit of fiddling it should pop out. Be gentle when replacing a barrel, its very easy to cross thread the cylinder screw.

Cheers Kadman off to try takin out the barrel on a door in me dads HA HA

• Advertisement

eddiej wrote:
    Cheers Kadman off to try takin out the barrel on a door in me dads HA HA

Gaw on you gurrier....... :D:D:D

Good luck

Kadman, (and anyone else who has some ideas)

Bit of a prob the instructions for the euro cylinder worked a treat though me da was a bit sceptical with me dismantling the back door lock.

The prob is was back at the new house today and while the lock looks like a euro cylinder from the outside on the inside it is shaped like an inverted clover leaf or club (as in playin cards) there is also a raised type of cone effort attached to the door and the key cylinder is in the middle of this and the cone type yoke is attached to the door with two screws. The lock is made by ASSA and by judging on their website it is a mortice cylinder lock though icould not see anything that looks really like it (pics were fairly scarce). I'm sure this lock can be changed in a similar fashion to the euro cylinder but given that i'm completely broke I want to do this myself.

Does anyone know the correct name for this ,lock so i know what to look for

Cheers

Eddie

Advertisement