Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband and a Router

• 14-10-2005 12:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭

I'm asking this cause the Tech support line is closed, hoping to get an answer before tomorrow.

I have Irish Broadband and my connected directly to it. I wanna connect another PC to the broadband connection. So I got myself a router (D-Link Ethernet Broadband Router DI-704P).
    For some reason I will not work. I cannot get into the setup page.
    Something in the setup guide is leading me to think that I cannot use this router without a dialup router connected to it. In the requirements it says Ethernet based cable or DSL router.

Can someone tell me if I need to get another router or can I get this one working?

If you need more into on my system or what I have tried post plz

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

1) have u plugged the line from the IBB box into the WAN port?
    2) Make sure ur pc's settings are set to dhcp (u prob have static set from using IBB direct)
    3)Once your setup up as dhcp, connect ur pc the the lan ports on the router, open command window, type in ipconfig /all you should have an ip address of 192.168.1.xxx, if you have 169.xxx.xxx.xxx you havent got an ip from the router.
    4) assuming you have an ip address, open IE and type in 192.168.1.1 (or gateway ip from above)
    5) Fill in the details for your IP etc, as per what you got from IBB and were using on yer pc

you should be online then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Hi,

You dont need to get another router. the dialup or dsl router is simply to supply you with the internet. Lets address the not being able to access the router homepage first. plug router directly into your PC with a straight through network cable. If you have a pop-up blocker, turn it off.

Open your browser and enter the default gateway page. Off the top of my head i think it is 192.168.1.1.

What happens?

You can do this from your second PC, thus keeping your internet connection.

I'll be on for a while more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

At risk of asking a stupid question - have you checked your documentation and the D-Link site for how to configure your router? How is your router configured currently?

What are your LAN settings on your pc. Have you changed these to take into account that you've a router between the PC and the connection now?

Basically, the external connection (IBB IP address, etc) sits on one side of the router, and you'll have an internal connection and settings on the otherside (eg. 10.x.x.x)

You'll need to set your PC's LAN settings to some 10.x.x.x address and then point the gateway to the router's internal address. You can list the IBB DNS addresses on your machine(s) however.

You'll also need to enable NAT * on the router

* Network Address Translation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

ok, I have the IBB conenction into the WAN port, then my 2 PC's into the lan ports.

The router seems to be rebooting every 30 secs or there abouts atm.

I have tried setting up the connection selection the "connecting through a gateway" selction and also the "connecting through switch or a hub" and niether work.
    If I change the conction type to gateway I get a restricted or none existant connection icon in My Network place.

Assume I have it all wrong, what would be the steps to right it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

plug ONE computer into the router.

go into the homepage, and set it to a static IP address. put in your IP from IBB. then open a command shell and try and ping www.google.ie

• Advertisement

syklops wrote:
    plug ONE computer into the router.

go into the homepage, and set it to a static IP address. put in your IP from IBB. then open a command shell and try and ping www.google.ie
    lol, i replied and bloody IE crashed on me. ffs

anyways, I tried that, even tried connection the IBB connection into a LAN port, cannot get to the homepage.

Look, this is what I have bene doing. Let me know what I am doing wrong.

1.- IP settings, tried with both automatic and the IBB settings
    2,- Used the network connection wizard and tried with both, "connecting through switch and hub" and "connecting through gateway".
    3.- Plugged IBB connection into WAN port (Tried LAN port just incase, out of desperation more than anything else)
    4.- Plugged my PC into LAN port with straight through cable and X-over cable, although the router works with both.
    5.- tried to connect to http://192.168.0.1/ but it will not connect to the router homepage

any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I'm having a look at the DLink site now. Which revision of the DI-704P do you have? There are three listed here

Lemming wrote:
    I'm having a look at the DLink site now. Which revision of the DI-704P do you have? There are three listed here
    DI-704P Revision B but mine says HW:B3 instead of HW:B1.

maybe if I wrote the steps I am taking from what I am understanding from the quick install guide.

1.- unplug all network connections.
    2.- plug the IBB connection into the WAN port
    3.- plug my PC into the LAN port
    4.- reset TCP/IP settings to auto configure
    5.- Use the Network Setup Wizard to change my network settings to This computer connects to the internet through a residential gateway or another computer on my network
    6.- reboot PC
    7.- Connect to http://192.168.0.1/ so I can get onto the Router homepage to configure the Router.

Anyone know where I am going wrong?

thanks to Lemming and the rest for ur help so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

DI-704P Revision B but mine says HW:B3 instead of HW:B1.

maybe if I wrote the steps I am taking from what I am understanding from the quick install guide.

1.- unplug all network connections.
    2.- plug the IBB connection into the WAN port
    3.- plug my PC into the LAN port
    4.- reset TCP/IP settings to auto configure
    5.- Use the Network Setup Wizard to change my network settings to This computer connects to the internet through a residential gateway or another computer on my network
    6.- reboot PC
    7.- Connect to http://192.168.0.1/ so I can get onto the Router homepage to configure the Router.

Anyone know where I am going wrong?

Don't need to use that wizard, just let the dhcp server built into the router do the work for you.

Can you get into the Setup page of the router?
    If you can then you should be on the net, once you set the router correctly

• Advertisement

Bogger77 wrote:
    Can you get into the Setup page of the router?
    If you can then you should be on the net, once you set the router correctly
    That was the problem. I could not get into it. But I actually got it last night.
    Was connected and all was about to post to say thanks but the router started to reboot, constantly.
    I tried everything I could think of, tried restting the router, tried leaving it off for a while but it just kept rebooting. I got pissed off ater nearly an hour of this and went to bed.
    Now just the M1 and M2 lights just flash constant and alternating, it does nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 DonnyFive

Hmm, for one thing, most routers have their config page at 192.168.1.1, not 192.168.0.1. Try that.
    Dónal

Advertisement