Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with bike insurance plz!

• 14-10-2005 12:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hi ye'all,
    Planning on getting a 125cc Aprilla RS 125, I'm 17 with a provisional licence, anyone know how much insurance will cost me and who should I go with? :confused: Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I hate to disappoint a young would-be biker (was there myself at one stage), but you can't legally drive a RS125 until you are 18. As far as I know the RS is 33bhp, wait until you turn 18 and then buy it. Your insurance on something like that is going to be absolutly huge though, so I'd start saving if I was you.

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/transport/motoring/provisional_motorcycle_driving_licences_in_ireland.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

^^ What he said. The insurance on that will absolutely kill you. I'm 23, full licence, 3 years no claims bonus, and I can estimate from experience that my insurance on that bike would be somewhere between €2,000-€2,500, for third party only. You're looking at twice that, minimum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Tricia Warner

Hi ye'all,
    Planning on getting a 125cc Aprilla RS 125, I'm 17 with a provisional licence, anyone know how much insurance will cost me and who should I go with? :confused: Thanks
    A student of mine bought a varadero 125 at age of 18, which is a group 2, and the Aprilia RS is a group 7. My students insurance is EUR5100 for TPO. I think you may have to re-think your options.

Tricia

Hi ye'all,
    Plus AON will be the only people who will touch you. Carole Nash won't want to know. In order to get insurance on this bike, assuming you were of the right age, and you had the money, I expect they would want a Grade 2 on an AON assessment first.
    Sorry for all the bad news

Tricia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Master_Chef

Well the way I see it, its better to get the bad news now, rather than getting it when I buy and try to insure it! Thanks dudes. BTW, recommend any bikes that I could get and insure that would be a bit of fun to have? As long as its not a Honda 50... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Well the way I see it, its better to get the bad news now, rather than getting it when I buy and try to insure it! Thanks dudes. BTW, recommend any bikes that I could get and insure that would be a bit of fun to have? As long as its not a Honda 50... ;)

I think Honda do an NSR 80 - maybe even a 50.

You are better off staying away from the Aprillia to be honest, they need engine rebuilds fairly often from what I've been told and that's even more money.

Hrmm, right so, I guess I will stay away from it. Honda 50, here I come!

Hrmm, right so, I guess I will stay away from it. Honda 50, here I come!

Don't knock the Honda 50, it's actually the most popular bike in the world, believe it or not. Honda have been selling them since the 60's and there'e more Honda Cubs been sold than any other bike ever. There's a good reason for that, they are completely bomb proof !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

If you can get a hauld of a second-hand NSR 125R (factory restricted), you're good. The smaller NSRs don't look as nice, and the factory restricted 125R is in the same insurance category AFAIK.

Although to be honest, a 125 cruiser (intruder, virago, dragstar, etc) would probably be a better first bike - generally less maintenance.

Sico wrote:
    If you can get a hauld of a second-hand NSR 125R (factory restricted), you're good. The smaller NSRs don't look as nice, and the factory restricted 125R is in the same insurance category AFAIK.

Although to be honest, a 125 cruiser (intruder, virago, dragstar, etc) would probably be a better first bike - generally less maintenance.
    the older NSR 125's are a group 7 also. the NSR12P from 2002 on are a group 2. The suzuki marauder 125 is a group 2, (if you are in to cruisers), and all the Yamaha Virago 125's re group 2

tricia

• Advertisement

Cool, thanks again for all the info! I stubled accross this in ebay Dotera QM125-4B. What group would this be in? Also anyone know if its a good bike and would it effect insurance if I imported?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Snowball

My advice to anyone who wants to ride a motorbike and has trouble with the insurance. Go to the MSA (Motorcyle Saftey Association) and do their exam. They do an exam for Aon and if you get top marks you can get off upto 40% on you insurance.

I have a provisional but I am insured down the country + I have the exam and 1 yeras no claims and yet I still have 65% off. My renewal for my CB1 400 was something like €800-900 fully comp. and if it was just the 125 I have it would have been something like €300-400

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

As the others have said, the insurance is probably going to be so expensive as to effectively bar you getting a RS beause of your age and its insurance group.

Apart from being a bit more sensible and going for a group 2 bike, there is another way to reduce the premium: get some training from the one or 2 training schools that have school bikes. IRTA don't have any school bikes as the insurance is very high. But IRTA and MAG have negotiated discounts with AON/Axa for people who have had training from IRTA trainers.

There is another group MRTG, who have school bikes. Easy Rider Training (David Lyons) has a couple of school bikes and has some connection with other trainers about the country also with school bikes.

Personally I think you'd be mad to go for a RS at the moment. I don't know anything about you apart from your age but the RS is a powerful little motor. More than enough power to kill you. You need to build up your driving experience before you go near this bike. I'd suggest you try a 'sensible' group 2 125cc bike for a year. Buy second hand, as you'll probably drop it not necessarily at speed (forgetting the disk locks is one thing most ppl here would probably own up to, me included on 2-3 occasions).

Cool, thanks again for all the info! I stubled accross this in ebay Dotera QM125-4B. What group would this be in? Also anyone know if its a good bike and would it effect insurance if I imported?
    It isn't on the Aon list of Grouped bikes.
    Sorry, can't be of assistance.

Tricia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 ridertraining

a_ominous wrote:
    IRTA and MAG have negotiated discounts with AON/Axa for people who have had training from IRTA trainers.

Not exactly accurate. AON/AXA are running an assessment programme and all IRTA trainers are approved assessors. So are some other trainers. Don't know where MAG came into it...

Rite, so if I go for a 125 in group 2, (which I dont mind doing) would I be expected to pay more than 2500 on insurance?

Rite, so if I go for a 125 in group 2, (which I dont mind doing) would I be expected to pay more than 2500 on insurance?
    Something like that, but if you go to Aon for your insurance and with the MSA's exam you could get upto 40% off.

Cool, just looking at the prices on the MSA website and they seem reasonable. Also is there any way you can find out about what group a bike is in? Like a list or something?

Cool, just looking at the prices on the MSA website and they seem reasonable. Also is there any way you can find out about what group a bike is in? Like a list or something?
    Ring Aon Motorbike Insurances (01) 7037400

P.S: If your going with MSA, ask for an instructor called Mike. One of the best drivers and the best instructor I have ever met. He will not go easy on you and takes it very seriosly but he will keep you alive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

a_ominous wrote:
    IRTA and MAG have negotiated discounts with AON/Axa for people who have had training from IRTA trainers.
    Not exactly accurate. AON/AXA are running an assessment programme and all IRTA trainers are approved assessors. So are some other trainers. Don't know where MAG came into it...

I stand corrected: there are non-IRTA people on the list which AON have now on their website. Link

One of the IRTA guys spoke at a MAG monthly meetings, last April I think. Just had a look at the IRTA site just to clarify my understanding of the relationship between the 2. According to the IRTA site:
    "IRTA was formed in 1999 by a group of experienced motorcyclists within the Irish Motorcyclists’ Action Group (MAG Ireland) who were concerned that in most parts of the country there were no instructors".
    Apologies if I confused the issue.

To Master_Chef, bear in mind that some of these trainers are associated with MSA or MRTG and have access to school bikes. If you check both web sites and the list of the AON approved assessors, you should be in a position to get training and assessed before you buy a bike.
    AFAIK IRTA don't have school bikes. The website doesn't say that, but I think it did a few years back. They might have now, so a call to your local trainer might be in order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

I'm twenty six and just bought a Honda nrs 125 80cc bike. I'll be getting a provisional licence. Can anybody tell me how much around my insurance will be. Please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

holy20thread20resurrection.jpg

Wild stab in the dark here but have you tried ringing the insurance companies. I'm fairly sure that the internet forums don't provide insurance policies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

I'm twenty six and just bought a Honda nrs 125 80cc bike. I'll be getting a provisional licence. Can anybody tell me how much around my insurance will be. Please

Depends on where you are and a few other factors, but I got insured on a Bros (400cc) at 26 on a provisional license for a bit under 500 last year, so I'd say you'd be less than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

well i'm 26 and recently got a quote from quinn on a restricted bandit 600 for €580 TPFT. I don't think they kick you as hard when you're over 25.

nereid wrote: »

Wild stab in the dark here but have you tried ringing the insurance companies. I'm fairly sure that the internet forums don't provide insurance policies.

Yeah, how am I supposed to ring them about motorbike insurance when I have no arms. What a **** you are sir. Disabled Person Basher.
    Thanks very much to the other two guys, that was very helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

Yeah, how am I supposed to ring them about motorbike insurance when I have no arms.

WTF? :confused:. that might add a few quid.

WTF? :confused:. that might add a few quid.

Oh that's just something I say. Plus I really thought that guy nereid was being, what's the word, it's not funny, he wasn't being that, oh yeah he was being a bit of a *******. As if I didn't think of phoning an insurance company to ask about insurance. I just wanted to ask people first so I'd know what to expect. Plus I've been really busy with other stuff too lately, what with having no arms and stuff.

MiloYossarian perma banned from Motorbikes. The name calling is one thing but I take serious offense to someone masquerading as a disabled biker. Its no joking matter.

Any more feeding of the trolls will lead to similar bans being handed out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭JayMcD

I'm also 26, provisional licence, thinkin of taking a aprilia rs125 off a friend, it needs a small bit of work but thats fine, well able to sort that but insurance. Figure that now i'm over 25 it mightnt hurt that much. I know there group 7, does anyone know roughly how much group 7 is in ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

nereid wrote: »

my emphasis.

Without doing that, any figure you get will vary between wrong, and wrong.

My gut feeling on insuring a provisonal on an RS125, is somewhere about €2000-€3000 because they are a magnet for stealing, are not learner legal, and have probably not much chance of being restricted.

Advertisement