Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a 4x4 / Jeep / SUV ???

Options
  • 14-10-2005 1:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Am looking into buying one 'cos I need to haul around gear, will need to avail of the low loading area & I do'nt wanna get an estate car or van (it will also be the family car).
    Can anyone advise what is the best one to get (not exceeding €30,000).
    I have my heart set on a '03 Kia Sorrento, any thoughts on this vehicle ?
    Can any Sorrento owners give me their opinions also, on their buy ?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

I seen the topic of this and could only think of a huge argument or flaming match as happened in the why do girls drive suv's thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Subaru Forester.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭KoNiT

Dunno about the Sorrento.
    The forrester will be ok, perhaps a bit tight for room & will rob you on fuel if your towing a lot.

Have you looked at the Suzuki Grand Vitara XL7 ? they came out in 04, Prices should be below the 30k mark now. Plenty of room in the boot, doesn't have a sunroof though. To me it would be the toughest of the 'soft roaders'

• Registered Users Posts: 16 paddyhdj

The new Suzuki Grand Vitara is coming out in mid. November so maybe that might be the one to go for - I just feel that the quality of them might not be on a par with the Sorrento.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

How about this?

For a little over half your budget!!

PM me for details.

Ciaran

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

How about a Defender ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

paddyhdj wrote:
    Am looking into buying one 'cos I need to haul around gear, will need to avail of the low loading area & I do'nt wanna get an estate car or van (it will also be the family car).
    Can anyone advise what is the best one to get (not exceeding €30,000).
    I have my heart set on a '03 Kia Sorrento, any thoughts on this vehicle ?
    Can any Sorrento owners give me their opinions also, on their buy ?

Cheers

If you need to haul gear around that much and need to take advantage of a low loading area, get a car with a trailer.

A Kia Sorrento isn't exactly haulage material.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Nelo86

Why don't you buy yourself a Jiangling Landwind X6 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 paddyhdj

Nice Cmar but I will need something new or '02 at latest as I do about 60,000miles per year so that makes using a trailer impractical Captain Trips !

Where are all the Sorrento owners ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭69 mustang

paddyhdj wrote:

Where are all the Sorrento owners ?

Theres not that many women on this site.
    Why not a DMAX or an L200 crew cab much more load space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

what do you want to do with it? a bit confused by the low loading area question.

is this gear heavy? most of the mid size korean wagons aren't exactly haulers.

have you considered a crew cab van?

you could get a nice transporter, with a good tdi engine in it for that kind of money.

they can look decent in the higher specs.

the one issue i'd have with the dmax/l200 is that the load bay canopies aren't the most secure yokes in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

If you need a low loading area, should you not be AVOIDING 4x4's???

Anyway, My mother has a sorrento, 2.5 TDiesel. It is a nice car, well finished and although typically plasticy, everything fits well and snug.
    At best it tips 29Mpg, and that wouldn't be carrying any weight.

It is nice an smooth on the main roads, but it is very rolly polly on the back roads.

It is too new to comment on reliability, but she has it about 6 months now and it has been completely problem free.

I have a 92 range rover that will do that kind of mileage, that's a bit crap really.

(yes I own a 4x4, burn me at the stake, i'm selling it though if that makes me any better)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

JohnBoy wrote:
    I have a 92 range rover that will do that kind of mileage, that's a bit crap really.

It's truly terrible!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Are you sure you need a 4X4? because I cant think of a particularly low one on the market right now, but I could recommend a Land Rover DEFENDER as I have one and although its a little basic its built like a Tank, or if you want a little more Luxury, maybe a Suzuki Grand Vitara? or maybe a Land Rover DISCOVERY (too expensive probably) or what about a Jeep? although I am told that spare parts are very expensive for them, maybe just forget 4X4's altogether and get a Volvo estate? (thats low).

prospect wrote:
    Anyway, My mother has a sorrento, 2.5 TDiesel. It is a nice car,

Yea see what i mean.:)

JohnBoy wrote:
    the one issue i'd have with the dmax/l200 is that the load bay canopies aren't the most secure yokes in the world

With a hammer or a screwdriver most things are.

relative to the standard of locks on a fully bodied jeep i meant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

JohnBoy wrote:
    relative to the standard of locks on a fully bodied jeep i meant

:confused: Cherokee?

Advertisement