Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An interesting take on sports

• 14-10-2005 8:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭

I came across this very interesting article on the BBC News website, October 14th,

“The Catholic Civilta Cattolica (Catholic Civilization) journal condemns boxing and describes it as a "bloody" game, and boxers in general as manipulated money-making machines.”

Hey, it’s a free world, and up to this point I could even agree with this statement. However, I am somewhat puzzled by the next statement.

"If the defeated boxer doesn't die in the days following the bout, he carries the signs of death on his body and face, and especially in his soul," said the six-page editorial in the Jesuit-run magazine. "In boxing's jargon, he's 'punch drunk." [I am not quite sure how to tie in being punch drunk with having signs of death in his soul.] The magazine goes on to deplore the public's fascination with a boxer's suffering "as merciless and inhuman". However, it acknowledged that any move to ban the multimillion [dollar] sport would be difficult [more like impossible].

And I really love the disclaimer: The magazine is published independently of the Vatican. Surly, on matters of faith, it would need to get the OK from the Vatican.

The reason I post this is because I really am getting fed up with the powers that be in the Rome coming out with statements that are both silly at best and controlling at worst. Boxing is an Olympic sport for heavens sake, and I would dearly love to know what amazing individual in Rome was able firstly to see a soul, not to mention, decide that the soul it saw carried a mark of death...because he lost the fight. And what happen to his soul if he wins the fight I might also ask :) .

I grew up in SJ and CBS schools in Dublin and remember well how both groups pushed boxing as the sport of kings. Correct me if I am wrong, but did not the SJs run a very successful boxing club in Dublin during the 70s and 80s. Was it Belvedere Boxing Club? I consider myself to be a very tolerant person, but this type of intrusion really pushes the envelope. I really am am interested to hear how do RCs on this board view this, has anyone read the full article, and does there come a point at which these types of statements begin to become embarrassing for you?
    Peter Kearney

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I am gladden that such a diverse range of opinions exist within the Chruch.
    I have no fight with the pro/anti boxing elements, and confine my pugilist impulses to watching the odd Rocky films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

Welcome back sir!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Like, say, Creationism, this is just another extreme view from a minority group within the church.

But yeah - you really have to wonder where these people get notions like a "sign of death" on your soul, and can they really, actually, believe it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

> where these people get notions like a "sign of death"
    > on your soul, and can they really, actually, believe it?

This is exactly my point in the other thread about using vague and meaningless prose -- what on earth does he mean? Does he mean anything at all? Is he writing it because it sounds apocalyptic and so becomes useful to a religion which claims to stave off the apocalypse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Personally, I think we can all see why some people would be opposed to a sport like boxing. After all, you're literally beating someone; and with how getting pummelled in the face repeatedly affects your health... well, it's got quite a significant downside to it.

I don't understand this "signs of death" thing though. That just sounds weird.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Bloodsports are the only reason I can get up in the morning. Thank you God for a legitimate way to punch others.

Amen.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 TakeDown247

Well everyone is entitled to their opinion

but how do they know that "If the defeated boxer doesn't die in the days following the bout, he carries the signs of death on his body and face, and especially in his soul"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

I'd just like to say thanks to the Christian cavalry of Manach, JustHalf and Neuro. Welcome back ya langers, leaving me here for months to battle against the heathens. I'd box you if it didn't kill your soul little bit by little bit.

Advertisement