Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derry to host first gay civil union in UK&IRL

Options
  • 14-10-2005 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭

My continuing amazing ability to copy and paste.
    First gay 'civil union' to go ahead

DERRY is to host the first legalised civil ceremony between a same sex couple.

In just over two months a male couple will sign the civil partnership register in the city's Guildhall on December 19.

The UK law legalising same sex unions, the Civil Partnership Act 2004, comes into effect on December 5.

It requires same sex couples to give 15 days' notice to the Registrar of Civil Partnerships, but in Northern Ireland only 14 days notification are required.

Also in Derry the registry office in the Guildhall opens at 9.30 am, several hours before other registry offices in the North open.

"I already have one confirmed booking for the morning of December 19 and I have had over a dozen other inquiries," said Derry City Council's Registrar of Births, Deaths, Marriages and of Civil Partnerships Brian Barr.

"This will be the first civil partnership to be registered in the whole of the UK. It's nice to be a part of history."

Meanwhile Sean Morrin, Rainbow Project officer in Derry, who liaises with the gay and lesbian community, said the legislation would give same sex couples who live together legal protection.

George Jackson

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

Isn't it curious that a "good news" story, and indeed one thats relatively "local" isn't commented on, while other posts, less "positive" ones (and I know dividing topics as +/- is simplistic) have pages of replies.

Now I know often its the nature of the post: being argumentative, or asking for opinion etc, but I just think it would be nice to affirm the positive when we can.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I suppose as the moderator, it's my duty to simulate a discussion on this.

"Positive is good. Love is all that permeates the universe."

"Yes, great story"

"Wow, that is good news"

"Gay unions, they're good"

"This is what we wanted"

"I agree, this was a positive story to brighten up my day"

"It's good to see focus on the positive issues"

"I bet the lads look gorgeous in their tuxedos, but I want to get married in a rugby player's outfit. Phoarrr"

"I like cake, I really do".

Phew, I need a break from all that fevered discussion.

If you think you're a better person because you feel the need to comment on the good things in life and we don't, look at this way. Negative things instil a sense of action in people. Positive things instil a sense of calm and quiet.

You've mastered sublety to such a degree I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Isn't it curious that a "good news" story, and indeed one thats relatively "local" isn't commented on.

Isn't it great we have you who comments incessantly about everything? Are you not one of the main people who contributed to those pages and pages of "debate" on the negative stories?

Negative brings greater debate because people want to change and fix "negative" things. Positive things generally don't need fixing. Though I'm surprised Boston didn't comment, he usually knocks anything positive too.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

I agree with Stark on what he said about cake.

• Advertisement

damien.m wrote:
    Isn't it great we have you who comments incessantly about everything? Are you not one of the main people who contributed to those pages and pages of "debate" on the negative stories?
    Negative brings greater debate because people want to change and fix "negative" things. Positive things generally don't need fixing. Though I'm surprised Boston didn't comment, he usually knocks anything positive too.

What a surprise to hear from you :D
    I don't post "incessantly" , nor do i comment on everything. I would guess you post more often, and on more threads than me .

Including of course the many times you post to direct something at me. It's nice that you've made me so important; unnecessary but nice.

Your need to criticise people on boards is amusing, at least to the degree you also criticise others for criticising people :confused:

If I decline to respond to further pointless comment from you I hope you'll see it not so much as devaluing your opinion, but basically not caring less. Darn did that suggest your constant criticisms had value ? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 hazimel

I don't post "incessantly" , nor do i comment on everything. I would guess you post more often, and on more threads than me .

damien.m
    Hosted Moderator

Hmm_Messiah

Yep, I'd say that's a fair assessment, Hmm_Messiah :)

wow, it can count and use colour! Why not now check how many times our mate Polonius there posts on the average LGB thread. The recent "Pity me I'm Rozie" thread is a good example. Try word count too.

The option of using coloured fonts is at your own discretion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 hazimel

damien.m wrote:
    wow, it can count and use colour! Why not now check how many times our mate Polonius there posts on the average LGB thread. The recent "Pity me I'm Rozie" thread is a good example. Try word count too.

The option of using coloured fonts is at your own discretion.

No, I only use my powers for good. Like pissing you off and proving you wrong. It's much more entertaining! (See, I can do bold text too).

Perhaps Ixoy could be your secretary. When he's not off carrying barrels of beer under his arms and trapping bears and playing football and other such manly things.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

No no no no, it's all going horribley wrong. This was meant to be the happy thread not the "damien.m and Hmm_Messiah will never marry, and as for hazimel being best man you can just forget about it" thread. :(

• Advertisement

Love your new sig, Polonius will too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

damien.m wrote:
    Though I'm surprised Boston didn't comment, he usually knocks anything positive too.

It's the comment that counts Dee, not the message behind it. ;)

I wouldn't say i knock positive thigns either, more I find fault with things.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I agree with Stark on what he said about cake

Who likes wedding cake?

I don't.

My mum (the one who was ignorant and unfair to all of the cheese in the world) made christmas cake today. Boston argued with her that it wasn't cake and said he hated cake, but we all know it isn't the cake he hates...

damien.m wrote:
    My mum (the one who was ignorant and unfair to all of the cheese in the world) made christmas cake today. Boston argued with her that it wasn't cake and said he hated cake, but we all know it isn't the cake he hates...

Actually it was the stout in the cake, and the way in which it promotes underage drinking and broken homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

BuffyBot wrote:
    Who likes wedding cake?

I don't.

That's all well and good for you, but what about this wedding cake that I made? What am I supposed to do with it now? Noone will eat my wedding cake. I can't believe you'd be so ignorant.

Looking back, I think all the problems started when my wedding cake grew breasts. Must have been the angel dust in the milk

The non-negativity of the super-irrationality of the wedding cake persona which side-steps the main issue of us not getting out the fcking rice and confetti and to be merry for the people of the free city of Derry, is very much like a cake without a cherry.

damien.m wrote:
    The non-negativity of the super-irrationality of the wedding cake persona which side-steps the main issue of us not getting out the fcking rice and confetti and to be merry for the people of the free city of Derry, is very much like a cake without a cherry.

I see. Is there anyway I could possibly blame this on women folk.

The social construct that male society has created is the reason you argued about the cake. The misogynists have convinced you that women bake cakes. By thinking about cakes you have already hated all women, everywhere, all the time, 24/7. Next on Fox, the O'Reilly Factor.

Funny story. I was sitting in a pub with a gay friend of mine, and a mutual female friend, about a year back. She turned to me and said "I never thought you'd be gay. I guessed Mr C*, cause he allways bakes cakes".

*Names changed to protect the identity of the gay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Noone will eat my wedding cake. I can't believe you'd be so ignorant.

Believe it baby. I'm a confectionophobe, and proud.

Advertisement