Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extra Phone lines (Help)

Options
  • 14-10-2005 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭

Hi guys i have a thread there yesterday and i said i got my new house etc etc. However to do with the phone lines..

If i get 3 do i have to pay 3 line rental or can i wire one of the other 2 if you know what i mean. Ill have eircom phone watch so hopefully nothing would happen. kinda need to know today to ring the lecky

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

Ask for phone points to be put in as many places as you can ask for. Blank plates can be placed on those that you're not using.
    Bring all the phone points to the same location - the attic perhaps. Ask that a cable be run from the external phone point (where Eircom or whoever it is will actually connect you) to the attic (or wherever you decide to connect all your internal phone cables). Then you can connect whichever extensions you like later on. Don't forget to get a phone line run to the alarm system.
    Don't forget you might need phone points right next to satellite (Sky) boxes.

While you're at it, get satellite co-ax (CT-100) run to as many points as possible. You'll be glad of this later. Again, you can put blank plates on the sockets you're not using. You run those cables to the attic, it'll mean that if you put a satellite dish in, the installer will only need to make a short connection between the dish and your cables. No need to drill into walls. And with the right hardware you can use a single dish & lnb with 10 or more satellite boxes around the house.

You pay for one phone line. You can have as many extensions as you like.

Those phone points that you don't use for phones can be used for network - so perhaps ask for Cat-5 cabling to be used. You'll be glad later on.

It might cost a couple hundred now but it's nothing to what it could cost you later to run cable. It'll also give you loads of choice on where to put your phones, computers, TVs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Cheers for that shabby. Ive gotten a phone line in the kitchen for the phone. Sitting room for sky and a bedroom for my internet. Do you think i need a seperate one for the alarm system then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭pbergin

make sure the alarm is the first on the line, if it isnt and the alarm goes off all they have to do is pick up the phone and that will block outgoing calls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

True! The best place to get your phone lines run to is the box outside where your main line comes in. Much easier to work with & no hassle if you are ever doing anything in the attic. Get your cable from the alarm to here as well. That way any cable can be connected before anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

I disagree. There is not a lot of room in those external boxes. Also no power - if you want to use any sort of powered hardware (hubs etc) you'll be stuck.

I've got cables galore in the attic and the attic was converted after the wiring was completed. This isn't a problem. Just get all of the cables run to the eaves of the attic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

You just need to junction your cables out there, nothing more. What sort of hub are you talking about?. Once you have phone points every where in the house you can do what you like. Another good idea would be to run cat5 to each point as well. But bring them all back to a central point in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

Can anyone of ye guys, who know more than the rest of us in the field of wiring ald electrics post a schematics of how wiring for CAT 5-6 should be done. I somehow trhink that I am going to get an old gentelman, who will be very polite but will not know how the CAT cable is installed. Is the instalation of this cable similar to the plain phone cable ort to probably (stupid question), can CAT be used instead of phone cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

CAT5 can be used instead of the phone cable, its 8 colour coded lines, so your installer just used them as he would ordinary phone cable, and not use what he doesnt need.
    Run the cables to your attic to allow you at a later stage put in a network hub for computer networking, running media server or such.
    Run CT100 and cat5 from the attic to, as the lads said, as many rooms as you think you could possibly put a tv.

Run 8 lines of CT100 to wherever you are putting your skybox. Sky+uses 2, there are 2 RF outs on a sky box to feed other lines, thats a total of 4 already, having 4 more will allow you put in extra satelite or whatever in the future, Id run 4 to the attic and 4 from the roof (where you think the sky dish will be). Do remember to seal the ends of the cables outside as rain getting into the cable ruins it.

Another trick is to put your Sky box in the attic and use a sky eye, this saves running a load of cable down into the sitting room, but means you can used the scart lines with other equipment.
    Try and label the cables as you go aswell, makes life a bit easier.

hope that helps

Dave W.

Advertisement