Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Annoying electrical problem

Options
  • 14-10-2005 10:37am
    Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭

Hopefully someone can help shed some light on this....

When I start my car in the morning (it's a 01 Megane) and turn on the indicator, one of the three lamps in the circut doesn't light.

Here's the interesting part, when I go to drive the car again later the same day, all the indicators work fine. I assume that its a contact somewhere in the circut (I initially thought it was the lamp, changed it but same result) thats "broken" in the cold morning, heating up during the day and the connection is then "re-made". I checked the seating of the lamp when putting it in and all seems OK - it there anything else I could look at...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Faulty indicator/flasher relay,that would cause it to work intermittent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yeah try the relay, first thing tomorrow try indicators then pull out the relay and give it a bang in your fist then stick it back in and see what happens.

Mike.

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

Good call, will give it a shot in the morning and see how I get on. Thanks for the help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Most likely a wiring connector with a poor connection. Look for a corroded connector or a snagger wire.

btw, which of the 3 bulbs, the Fr, R or side panel. (assuming 3 bulbs per side).

If any of the lights work the relay is fine. as it is very unusual to have single bulbs per relay. more a case of 2, 3 or 4 lamps per relay.

And it could still be contact corrosion or a weak spring contact.

AMurphy wrote:
    btw, which of the 3 bulbs, the Fr, R or side panel. (assuming 3 bulbs per side).

If any of the lights work the relay is fine. as it is very unusual to have single bulbs per relay. more a case of 2, 3 or 4 lamps per relay..

It's the front lamp - the other two are fine at all times. Found the relay box under the bonnet but they arn't marked and there wasn't any info in either the manual (just the fuse box diagram) or in the Haynes manual for the car that I have.

I did give the contacts a good once over before (when I replaced the bulb) but I think I'll give 'em a quick rub of fine sandpaper to see does it cure it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

You also may have a dodgy capictor. Seen that one before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Dr. Spock wrote:
    It's the front lamp - the other two are fine at all times. Found the relay box under the bonnet but they arn't marked and there wasn't .....

Look on the inside of the fuse box cover see if there is any information there.

if you already dressed the contacts, then I'll assume they are fine and the problem is elsewhere.

to find the exact relay, turn on the lamps and place your finger lightly on each relay in turn, you shoud "feel" the clicking through your finger tip, when you hit the correct one.
    Alternative is just pull each one and replace, see when the lights stop.

Anyway, as stated, it is very inlikely you have more than 1 relay supplying all the lamps. So if any work the relay is working. In my van, one relay does both sides AND the Emer. flashers.

Get a 12v Probe lamp and test the contacts, if you have no power there, I'd look for a corroded connection further back in the wiring loom.

if you have voltage at the contacts, then I'd suspect a spring in the bulb holder.

I found the appropiate relay, and just made sure it was seated properly. I gave all the of loom (that I could see) a good once over and all seems OK.

Having said that, it hasn't happened since (but the nights haven't been that cold) so we'll see how it goes.

Thanks for all your help.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I bet its the front bulb holder !

My SIL's car is the same and has the same fault. I replaced the bulb and a week later same problem, intermittantly fails.

Took out the bulb and the holder and gave it a good clean !

So far so good !

Its not the relay, otherwise the same light wouldn't give a fault all the time, they would either all work or not, or stay on all the time !

Advertisement