Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evil Genius

Options
  • 14-10-2005 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe I'm not cut out to be a bad guy.

Been playing it for a while but just don't seem to be getting anywhere. I have a reasonable size base but I keep fighting where I have to store the corpses of dead enemies and the money I am getting from missions is pittance so its taking for ever to build anything.

Anyone any tips on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

Yeah don't play it!

No I was the same predicament as yourself and just gave up. I think the best thing to do is use that world map thing to get reputation and that I think is the best way to earn money in the long run

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Its been a long time since I played this, but once you do a few of the world map missions you should start to get a decent cash flow going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Hobbes wrote:
    Anyone any tips on this?

Sadly it's mostly down to how you design your base in the first 15 minutes that determines your success in the game. Pause the game and plan it out. You can design a room and halt construction of it until you can afford to actually build it. I found it best to divide the base into two sections. Nearest the enterence have plenty of inter-connecting, innoxious rooms, ie. barracks, library, staff room, etc. Nothing that contains items which generate heat.

Then seperated by a long an winding corridor you have your inner lair, where you conduct all your dastardly deeds. Most agents and investigators will wander around your outer lair, find nothing incriminating, and leave. Place lots of traps along the connecting corridors to keep the really inquisitive away. Your need for places to store bodybags will be greatly reduced. The only draw back is that it can take forever for your minions to get from one end of the base to the other. It can be best to duplicate the outer rooms in the inner lair too, so they don't have as far to travel.

Also, the number of minions you can recruit depends on the number of footlockers in your barracks (which is a ridiculous idea). Build rows of them until you reach your maximum amount of recruits (this number can be increased further by doing more missions). Send your henchmen along with them when stealing, and only bother stealing in the wealthiest areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

I have some links for Evil Genius. Will post if requested.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

What kind of links?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

amp wrote:
    What kind of links?
    traditional%20style%20rabbit%20trap.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

if you are having trouble why didnt you ask myself?

i am an evil genius master :)

first off
    play the game like dungeon keeper, have your important rooms walled off (vault, lab, armory, lair, control, power) have everything else branching off from a main room like the barracks. (library, mess hall, rec room)
    make sure there are no inaccessable squares in your base or sabatouers will get in where you cant stop them and do some serious damage.
    when going for money in the world map i send out a total of 15 guards, 3 to each color, this brings in usually 14-15k a cycle and keeps your heat levels low. just make sure to check on it every few minutes and put them in hiding if the cops show up in the region.

as soon as you see an enemy agent on the island target them for weakening, your valet class guys will do some funny stuff to distract them and they will lose either smarts or attention.
    if they lose smarts they forget anything they have seen and have to try and repeat their mission
    if they lose attention they are more likely to get hit by traps.

When soldiers start turning up on your island make sure you have at least 20 valet class minions and target them for weakening before they start shooting anything. if they are trying to get into your base LET THEM set the door security to 1 and let them in. if you have security cameras inside your valets will leg it over and weaken them before they can do anything. if they go aggro before this send your henchamn to take care of them, as long as they are good quality or lower, anything higher and you will need to set your alarm to red alert and have your men attack them armed, use the gather minions special ability to get a good force together.

need anything else?

forgot to say

DO NOT PUT TRAPS IN THE GENERAL AREAS OF YOUR BASE

its the quickest way to commit suicide, when your minions are tired/hungry/mentaly drained they WILL set off traps and kill themselves.
    Although humerous you can wipe out half your minions easily in one poorly placed trap, rely on security cameras and your minions for base defense.

HOWEVER.....

what i do is have 2 entrances to my base, one is trapped the other isnt, i raise the security on the outside door to 3, this stops your minions from using it. when the enemy agents finally break in they will be in a perfect killing zone.

another nice tactic is to have a dummy section to your base, i have a fairly large section seperate from the rest of my base.

ill send you screenshots of it when i get home.

once again no traps in base (unless they are non-lethal but even then its going to sap your resources)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Actually after sitting down and watching what the people do as opposed to playing I see the game is flawed.

Here is what I did.

1. First entrance I turned into a spiral and doors in the corridors. Last door had a room with traps near it. I locked the doors only to my boss. I also moved the tresure room to inside the base and put a locked door on it.

This meant any good guys arriving on the island headed for those doors and it kept them interested until they got bored and left.

2. Created lots of generators and lots of barracks and a large control room. Until I had about 60 guys, then dumped 50 of them into Asia. This cause my money to shoot up.

Because I hadn't captured the maid yet it didn't trigger any of the other events. So I kept the guys funnelling money to me until I had about 5 million then created the base. But at this point I got bored.

The AI is a bit too easy to fool.

there are several problems with that though, although you have the cash to build a huge base........ you dont need a big base and it will hurt you later when you get the extra rooms.... (try playing the game on hard)

as promised heres screenshots of my base.

http://members.boards.ie/jaggeh/barracks.JPG
    first ill start at the door, a disguised door makes it harder for the crooks to get in, especially if you have a hotel(means you have lots of valets outside to weaken them)
    just inside the door is a SMALL vault, with the briefcase rack this gives my minions quick access to drop cash off and pick cash up for purchasing stuff. your main vault just needs 1 briefcase rack, as the bales of gold bricks are unuseable and just take up room but can be accessed from any briefcase rack.
    The sleeping barracks(you will need 2) is here with easy access to both entrances to my base, there is cameras and sirens aswell as soom loot (the loot speeds up recovery times raises moral and loyalty) there is also just enough beds for little under half my men.
    the reason for this is i usually have 15 on the map and the rest working shifts(time clocks).
    http://members.boards.ie/jaggeh/control.JPG
    my other entrance, you will notice fire extinguishers by the front door, your valets are the only ones who can use them and if you are playing well you should have a hotel which means they will spend most of their time outside. so having a lot of extinguishers at the front door means they can pick them up on their way in. you should also have a couple beside each critical room (control room, power and research)
    As you can see the mess hall and infirmary are open rooms, they dont raise any heat so its safe to do so, plus it allows you to fit more stuff in as hotspots can point into the corridor. you will also not 2 uber loot items. i have these here because this area is a major hub due to the barracks/entrances/control room
    so they have the best effect here. This area is also well covered by security cameras. The control room has a peice of uber loot and a normal loot also a big screen that you cant see cos of the viewing angle. its always manned and has sirens for when someone gets into the base.
    http://members.boards.ie/jaggeh/training.JPG
    at the top you can see the power room, really not much to see here, it has cameras and no locked spots(locked spots will let sabs in)
    The armory is fairly simple, 3 death cells so i dont have to worry about killing off prisoners :)
    gun racks (for some reason my guys never researched disguised gun racks)
    and 2 control desks, one is attached to cameras in corridors, the other is attached to cameras in rooms, both have sirens positioned around the base.
    attached to the armory for space sake is the library. nothing to say about that really.
    Next door is the Locker barracks, it has the exact amount of lockers needed for my 100 minions, the rest of the space is used by multigyms which your men use during their working hours. the training room is kinda simple 2 training devices for each of the basic classes and 1 for each class above it (early on you will want two for each of the second teir classes)
    http://members.boards.ie/jaggeh/traps.JPG
    The research lab should be one of the biggest rooms you have, this will save you time later as the last 3 research devices take up loads of room. always put any new loot into this room and while you have a small amount of research keep a time clock in here. this will make your men study the objects more and speed up your research.
    the single security desk here is for critical rooms and the lair.
    the lair is simple and rarely used.
    the room off it......hmmm whats going on here :)
    http://members.boards.ie/jaggeh/timewaster.JPG
    that room has 1 of the mutants you get later on. hes walking around setting off pressure pads which keep this section activated.
    This section is a death trap, if you look closely you will see that the trap rooms are freezers...... this means enemy agents will head for them as critical rooms for evidence and when the traps kill them my men dont run in to collect the bodies, there is also a vault access there for burglars. when i start collecting the cursed totem it will laso go in there. this room draws off roughly 40% of the enemy agents and keeps them busy breaking down the doors.

i love this game :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement