Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

play off draw

• 14-10-2005 11:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭

norway - czech rep
    switz - turkey
    spain - slovakia

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

All tops teams there - The Spanish will be under huge pressure.

and for the love of god, dont anyone post saying "oh look, we would have got Turkey"....

The other global play-offs see Australia take on two-time World Cup winners Uruguay while Bahrain play Trinidad & Tobago.
    I'd love the Aussies and Trinidad & Tobago to get through :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Can only see Spain, Czech Rep. going through in their play offs. Its an interesting one between the Swiss and Turkey. Not sure who to call in that one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Ah look we would have got Turkey. :D:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

I hope the Aussies go through, unlikely I know. I'll have someone to cheer for then. They're in the Asian zone for the 2010 qualifliers. Which carries automatic qualification so it should be a little easier for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

anyone understand how the seedings for the world cup will go?
    will it be based on the world rankings?
    since there are 32 teams in 8 groups of 4 will the top ranked teams in each group be the top 8 teams in the world.
    if that is the case then mexico and the usa will be seeded!
    is this the way?

http://fifa.com/en/mens/statistics/index/0,2548,All-Sep-2005,00.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I know in previous years they were ranked on performance in previous World Cups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

Brian017 wrote:
    Ah look we would have got Turkey. :D:p

And we would have been drawn at home on the Saturday too, and the Croke Park debate would be in full swing !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

FIFA will rig the seedings for the World Cup proper like they always do. Same with seeding the play offs.

All FIFA want to do is make sure the biggest footballing countries get to the world cup so they can make the most money.

I'd lay bets on Brazil being in a group with Angola or Togo and also with the winner of Bahrain -v- T&T.

The second seed in that group will be a European side to make sure a couple of big teams have a handy progression.

You just need to look back through all World Cup draws to see how rigged they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Hope the Swiss get beaten, they are average to say the least. Their performance in the Euros last year was a disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

anyone understand how the seedings for the world cup will go?
    It does sound sarcastic but Draupnir is 100%! correct. FIFA are waiting until all teams are confirmed and they'll find a way of getting the better teams in the top seeds.

All seeded teams should win their playoffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I need to try to tone down the sarcasm!!

Its unfortunate, but its what will happen and always does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Draupnir wrote:

Yup it's true .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Draupnir wrote:

But makes good football , ask any lad from Senegal.

kdjac

Advertisement