Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O'Shea contract at Utd extended to 2009

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    You should really take up debating mate. You stick to your guns no matter how wrong people think you are.

My mum and girlfriend say I am very opinionated(sp)....I disagreed with them and argued till they dropped with exhastion!!! another opinion changed!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Lol, I don't think you have changed many peoples opinions here in fairness!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Big Nelly wrote:
    Thank you!! I rather if you said block wall!!!

More of a broad wall or wide, chunky or maybe even thick.

...maybe even thick.

Rofl. :D

Ahh now dont be getting personal!!!

Lol, I don't think you have changed many peoples opinions here in fairness!

probably not but it kept me looking busy in work for an hour or so!! everyone sees me typing like a mad man and would be thinking "God he is serious busy for a Friday!!".......haha......little do they know, little do they know!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

B-K-DzR wrote:
    i dont think JoS is half as bad as people make him outt o be and i for one am quite happy that he's signed another contract. Man u needs players that can fill the gaps (like p. neville did) when needed and do a job there.

Watch him play, his pass completion % must be near singles figures.

There is nothing personal, I was merely using different words to define a broad wall, I fail to see how you can take offence at that.

• Outbursts of personal abuse/racism etc, be it directed at other board members or at groups of fans or sports personalities people will not be tolerated. We reserve the right to edit/move/delete such posts as we see fit. Occasions of personal abuse against another board member will result in a one week ban and if persistent a permanent ban. If a permanent ban occurs and if the user banned was sponsored by existing soccer board members they will be banned for a month. If they have a second recommended member banned then they will be banned permanently as well.
    The basic rule is keeping it civil; you can have friendly banter without resorting to personal abuse.

Why don't you ban yourself......I was making an arguement and I never got personal or attacked anyone here....but as usual on boards once you have a decent point people downgrade it to personal comments :mad: .....thought mods didnt want this....maybe Im wrong!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Stekelly wrote:
    why did you feel the need to turn this into a Liverpool v Utd thread? Are you that insecure about Utd?

Troare wont be in the team for long as Warnock is going to be first choice left full. Warnock is an excellent playe rand will be as good as Carra.

Why are people still talking about liverpool? in a thread about o shea's contract Should i set up a new liverpool/United thread? So we can all have our opinions on two declining teams that are in desperate need of a couple of Russian Billionaires??

• Advertisement

You suggested a different type of wall and I suggested a different type of wall, what has that got to do with you personall Nelly ?

And as regards - but as usual on boards once you have a decent point people downgrade it to - you did not have a decent point to start with as has been pointed out to you a number of times. You have however failed to grasp that on numerous occasions now.

If I were to abuse you, and I obviously wouldn't, then I am sure that I could come up with something far more suitable than likenening you to a wall as another user on this thread actually did.

Why are people still talking about liverpool? in a thread about o shea's contract Should i set up a new liverpool/United thread? So we can all have our opinions on two declining teams that are in desperate need of a couple of Russian Billionaires??

Or just that one pisses off back to Russia.

The only other russiona Billionaire that is around at the moment is banged up as he will not sell his oil company back to Russia. Until then I suppose the rest of the prem are screwed.

Is there any rules about him owning clubs in other countries ?

BTW Fair play to JoS, great salesman getting a good contarct out of recent performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Originally posted by Thanx4TheFish

Originally posted by Thanx4TheFish
    You suggested a different type of wall and I suggested a different type of wall, what has that got to do with you personall Nelly ?

And as regards - but as usual on boards once you have a decent point people downgrade it to - you did not have a decent point to start with as has been pointed out to you a number of times. You have however failed to grasp that on numerous occasions now.

If I were to abuse you, and I obviously wouldn't, then I am sure that I could come up with something far more suitable than likenening you to a wall as another user on this thread actually did.

I haven't been involved in this debate, just reading it but, in all fairness, Thanx4TheFish, I think its obvious what you meant by the use of the word "thick". No point trying to back down on it now. Would of expected better from a mod though.

As regards Liverpool, I always get a great laugh from their supporters. The seem to see the team with rose-tinted glasses - CL winners indeed but that doesn't stop them being a team who lost to the likes of relegated Palace in the Premier League last season.

Onto the subject of Josh (that the topic is about), I think you'll find that he isn't half as bad as people on here make out. Yes, he's had a few bad games for Ireland, but who out of the current crop of players hasn't (Shay excluded of course - now there's a block wall!)?

He's a decent player who can get forward and get in good crosses. I'm happy that Ferguson has recognised this and signed him up. For years people complained about Gary Neville and he is only now getting the recognition he deserves. Maybe it'll be the same with Josh.

As MJS pointed out you where refering to something else

Why wasnt my point decent? because it was that Liverpool are an over-rated team and don't have quality players.....of course I must be wrong then.......I had a discussion with a number and people and backed up my points with information and comments to try to explain why I feel this way.....I never told them they had to change there point of views because of what I think.....if you need any more information about my arguement just look at the PL table

This was meant as a humourous post!! anyway I am not going to get into an argument with a mod because I will only end up being the loser....lets call it quits!!! :D

Lemlin wrote:
    but who out of the current crop of players hasn't (Shay excluded of course - now there's a block wall!)?.

Lee Trundle. :)

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote:
    Lee Trundle. :)

Did I hear somewhere that a team in the Championship tried to sign him last week>?????? something on radio the other day about it!!

Wasnt it your crowd Nelly?

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Wasnt it your crowd Nelly?

Not us....we are after every reserve striker that Southampton have at the minute.....

---
    Why wasnt my point decent? because it was that Liverpool are an over-rated team and don't have quality players.....of course I must be wrong then
    --

That was not your point, 80% of the liverpool team is a liability was your point. Which you have since disproven yourself but failed to recognise.

There are no winners or losers, end of this thread is the end of this thread and to suggest otherwise is something that I find to be personally abusive ;)

It was Wednesday reported to be looking at trundle - http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=312343&CPID=11&clid=&lid=5&title=Owls+reject+Trundle+reports -would ba a good move for him but was denied in this report in 5th http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=313550&plid=8778&clid=80&cpid=11

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What the fvck is this thread about???????????????????

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

..........and now they're arguing about the type of wall he's like to argue with........

You're a regular wall.
    Liverpool have some poor players in their squad.
    So does every team.
    Liverpool are no where near the best team in Europe.
    They have won the EC though, so it is ridiculos to assume they are a poor team. (or have 80% liabilitys)

I reckon that's a fair summary, but maybe a new thread should be started about Liverpool and brick walls.

On Topic:

I'm suprised but happy John O'Shea got a 4 year extension tbh!! He's not only in the team because of injurys, obviously since the arrival of Heinze, he's got less football, but still gets rotated in on occasion and is very versatile.

Also, if he was only a backup player, I doubt they would have given him four years and pledge millions of pounds to him.

Don't judge O'Shea on Irish performaces alone, or else you would expect gim to be released on a free...but obviously he's highly rated at UTD.

lol! Its covering all the major soccer issues at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

obviously since the arrival of Heinze, he's got less football, but still gets rotated in on occasion and is very versatile.

That's actually something of a myth. He started about 37 games in all competitions for United last season I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

OH NOES U CALLED ME THICK, OR AT LEAST I THINK U DID

Back on topic, Nice deal for O'Shea, from AF point of view, he gonna keep him as a utlity player, on the off chance he will produce the goods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Stekelly wrote:
    Suprisingly his stats are pretty good:
    [B]Passing[/B]   Player  	          Passes  	Pass %  	   	 
    1 	Paul Scholes 	            392 	76% 	  	 
    2 	Rio Ferdinand 	            335 	74% 	  	 
    3 	Mikael Silvestre 	    335 	74% 	  	 
    4 	[I]John O`Shea[/I] 	            328 	78% 	  	 
    5 	Roy Keane 	            292 	76%

[B]Tackling[/B]  Player  	        Tackles  	Tackle %  	   	 
    1 	[I]John O`Shea[/I] 	             29 	69% 	  	 
    2 	Alan Smith 	             24 	73% 	  	 
    3 	Paul Scholes 	             22 	69% 	  	 
    4 	Darren Fletcher 	     21 	64% 	  	 
    5 	Kieran Richardson 	     19 	73%

[B]Crossing[/B]  Player  	         Crosses  	Cross %  	   	 
    1 	Cristiano Ronaldo 	     25 	30% 	  	 
    2 	Paul Scholes 	             24 	24% 	  	 
    3 	Wayne Rooney 	             17 	23% 	  	 
    4 	Ryan Giggs 	             16 	19% 	  	 
    5 	[I]John O`Shea[/I] 	             15 	26%

http://home.skysports.com/optastats.asp?clid=1&clubname=Manchester+United&cpid=8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

This has gone so far off topic it's not right!

So anyway back to O'Shea. He is a versatile player and can do a job, not always a great job but a job none-the-less. Alex Ferguson recognises that he couldn't afford to loose his only other Utility man after Phil Neville left.

I would have to say that JOS will probably have the same sort of career that Phil Neville had, unless he can really stake his name on one position.

He done an ok job for Ireland in centre-mid the other night, I may not have agreed with picking him but he still done ok. and that will be the story of his career I would say, "He was ok the other night"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

i wish the team i support was a liability and won the european cup

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

JoS is the biggest chancer in football. How people can rate him is beyond me

He is utter cock for ireland which is bad and utter cock for Utd which is good.

Answer this question where is his best position?
    Let me let you in on a secret
    He doesnt have one

Enough said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

He's a capable utility man, nothing wrong with that.

Glad we have him

Needs to grow a pair of bollocks though. Lacks agression.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I see O'Shea as a utility player along with Fletcher(but Fletcher on paper has more potential as he is younger) but it is better to keep them than let them go...but keep them way down the pecking order once we get some real talent in the team until they deserve to be in it.

Eddie mcgoldrick was also a utility player. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

He hasnt been playing to well of late...especially for ireland but i'd never look at a team sheet and groan if hes on it (unlike other wasters).

Thanks for those stats EireBhoy.

the chaps having a serious dip in form at the mo, but i see him as a centre half, he's a big lad and its been noted that its his real position

blu_sonic wrote:
    the chaps having a serious dip in form at the mo, but i see him as a centre half, he's a big lad and its been noted that its his real position

He needs to settle into a position, probably centre half, which I seriously doubt he's going to get at Utd. So maybe he needs to put his career ahead of money (maybe not, he might get the same /better elswhere) and move on. I suppose it depends on whether he has greedy advisors or not and whether he's a strong character.

agreed he's gone from pillar to post in red and green, and i doubt he'll get center half at utd, maybe he should move, but 2009 i doubt he'll be moving

Could be fergie trying to up-rate him so he gets decent money for him thoough,

maybe, could ham his price a few bad prefomances and your forgotten

Advertisement