Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Blank screen on monitor following screen resolution change

• 14-10-2005 1:26pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭

The title is a summary of what happened. Was messing about with my friends computer and I went to change to screen res from the 800*600 to something a bit bigger.

Thing is the monitor went blank after I accepted the change. Looks like the Monitor cant handle the new higher res or else Im after frying the graphics card.

When I boot up It comes up grand but you never see the desktop it just goes blank after a few secs

Cause the screen is now blank I cant change it back. Any ideas on how to do this. Nothing in the BIOS helped.

Now its an older PC, Win 98, 48 MB ram, 750Mhz AMD processor

I could re-install win 98 but major overkill I think.

What do ye think??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Can you boot into Safe Mode OK..?

Keep tapping F8 on boot until you get an Advanced Boot Menu (If F8 doesn't do it, reboot, and keep tapping F5...)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Can i do that from the BIOS....hmm coming to think of it you can.

Silly me

Where abouts is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

i believe u press and hold the crtl key till the advanced boot menu comes up. been awhile so cant fully remember :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you can get to the command prompt

cd windows
    edit system.ini

change *DisplayFallback=0 to *DisplayFallback=1 in [boot] section

or put a different monitor on the system

or hold the shift key down all through boot to go into safe mode

or press F8 the instant it says Starting windows - before the splash screen

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ri_Nollaig wrote:
    i believe u press and hold the crtl key till the advanced boot menu comes up. been awhile so cant fully remember :)

Ctrl key?
    Personally I've always found its either the F8 key or F5 key that you keep tapping (don't hold it down) untill it brings up the boot menu

If it loads to the boot screen (Win98 logo) then reboot and start again, start pressing the button once the BIOS is finished loading :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Cheers ill try that.

Never thought a screen res change would effect an older monitor like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Cabaal wrote:
    Ctrl key?
    Personally I've always found its either the F8 key or F5 key that you keep tapping (don't hold it down) untill it brings up the boot menu

If it loads to the boot screen (Win98 logo) then reboot and start again, start pressing the button once the BIOS is finished loading :)
    i always remember it as F8 too or atleast saying it somewhere during the start up if it was something else
    but it can b crtl too according to this: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q180902 im sure i did it that way atleast once... :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

jank wrote:
    Cheers ill try that.

Never thought a screen res change would effect an older monitor like that.

:) its cos the res pumped out by the graphics card is out of the displayable range for the monitor so it simply decides hat its not gona display it :)

Advertisement