Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Automatic For The Hamster

Options
  • 14-10-2005 1:34pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

One of the cars I'm considering for next year is an XJ - this one looks beautiful, for example - however there seems to be very few manuals around, and I'm concerned I'd get totally bored behind the wheel of an automatic. I always feel like I'm in control of, and in touch with a car when I'm driving a manual, and that I'm giving up some of that control - possibly even some power - when I'm driving an automatic.

So, has anyone made the switch, or switched the other way? Liked it, loathed it? Did you go back, or stick with automatics? And vice versa, etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

My MX5 is an auto. Not by choice, but the manuals were more expensive, and some other contributing factors led to me getting the auto box.

There is no doubt that the manual is a much, much more involved drive, but the auto isn't boring by any stretch of the imagination.

In fact, the disadvantage of the auto box on the twisties is cancelled out against the advantage of it in traffic.

Probably not much help :o

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Ken Shabby wrote:
    One of the cars I'm considering for next year is an XJ - this one looks beautiful, for example - however there seems to be very few manuals around, and I'm concerned I'd get totally bored behind the wheel of an automatic. I always feel like I'm in control of, and in touch with a car when I'm driving a manual, and that I'm giving up some of that control - possibly even some power - when I'm driving an automatic.

So, has anyone made the switch, or switched the other way? Liked it, loathed it? Did you go back, or stick with automatics? And vice versa, etc.

I think most executive cars over the 2.0 or 2.5 litre are mostly automatic. That seems to be the demand and some makers probably don't even offer a manual version. I think it depends on the car also, a MB with an auto is worth alot more than the equivilant manual.

To be honest I don't think I have ever seen an XJ with a manual gear box, similarly I have never seen an XJ without leather seats either.

I also know what you mean, I drove an auto once and it took a while to get over my instinct to find the clutch pedal and try to change gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Love my automatic :) So much better in traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Once the automatice box "learns" how you drive it should be reasonably ok. I find automatics are a more relaxing drive, but also it allows you to keep both hands on the wheel at all times, and it's one less thing you have to think about. Having no clutch really comes into it's own when stopped in traffic.

Personally I would have a manual though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

I have a 1975 Daimler 4.2 automatic and I have to say anything other than an auto in this class / size of car would be a bit of a joke.
    The three speed auto box in the Daimler ( the same car as an XJ really) is a dream and once you get used to an auto in a fine car such as an XJ you would never even think of a manual again. :)

Also I have found to my cost ( I had a manual BMW 530D) that large luxury cars simply must have an auto (and leather seats) for any kind of resale value ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Have you driven both Daimlers and Jaguars? Is there any appreciable difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

My Dad recently got an S-Type, automatic, and to be honest with you I was slightly dissapointed with the feel of it. It just seemed to lack the power compared his old car (M5 - kinda different).

But now it's not so bad, it doesn't feel weak or anything, quite the opposite, and the manual really is a good idea, particularly for city driving.

Is the S-Type in the same category? Personally I'd put the M5 in the "animal" category, S-Type in something different. (I wouldn't like to say, I find most modern Jags distasteful, particularly the S-Type, which Rover seem to have modelled everything on. In a very, very bad way.)

And isn't an automatic preferable for city driving. No ups and downs?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Ken Shabby wrote:
    Is the S-Type in the same category? Personally I'd put the M5 in the "animal" category, S-Type in something different.

You're right they're both extremely different cars, but they were the only two I could really compare, cause I was too young to remember all his old cars.
    I think the reason why I felt the S-Type was weaker, was that I initially missed those G-forces on the Beamer, when your neck was forced back and then pushed forward again for the gear change.
    The S-type just lacks that, no gear changes and whatnot.

(edit: It's late and my posts are becoming stupid, don't mind it.)

qz wrote:
    I think the reason why I felt the S-Type was weaker, was that I initially missed those G-forces on the Beamer, when your neck was forced back and then pushed forward again for the gear change.
    Technically known as The Saab 900 Turbo Effect. (Well, after the lag. :))

(Veering completely off-topic, I've always wondered why car manufacturers settled on turbos rather than superchargers, since superchargers deliver the power much more directly. (I was going to say smoothly, but that doesn't seem an entirely appropriate adjective for a supercharger.) Are they more expensive to maintain or something? Mercedes Benz are moving away from them again now I hear; apparently the Kompressors are disappearing rapidly.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I had strong doubts about going auto as I always liked shifting gears. I came upon my previous car by chance and it has worked out well, me likes - for sure in Dublin traffic

High end executive saloons are all automatic these days, which is good imho :)

As Alfa says, it would be very difficult to shift any mid range or higher end executive car if it doesn't have full leather and auto

I don't know the details of the autobox in the XJ you are eyeing up, but my similar aged 735 has a 5 speed steptronic that lets you select either sports or normal (both adaptive) mode. Of course you can manually change gears as well (forward is gear up, backward is gear down). It is smooth as silk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Ken Shabby wrote:
    Have you driven both Daimlers and Jaguars? Is there any appreciable difference?

I have never driven a Jaguar XJ as such but Daimlers are identical mechanically to the Jags - apart from exterior differences like the fluted grille and rear bootlid chrome.
    Its just the trim in the Daimlers is more upmarket - thicker pile carpet, carpet in the boot - just a lot of small touches here and there that look better than an equivalent engined jag. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Ken Shabby wrote:
    One of the cars I'm considering for next year is an XJ - this one looks beautiful, for example
    It's lovely, but I've always found XJ's to be too 'low' inside for my taste.

I'm looking at getting an S-Type and debating the sence of buying a 3-litre car with petrol going the way it is.

I might go for the 2.5 litre. The arguements for performance are a little lame if you're stuck in traffic every day. I'd chose luxery over performance anytime.

I drive a 525i and the last fill was €85, so I can understand what you're saying; but I only fill it once a month so it really doesn't bother me /that/ much. I spend that much money on a night out.

Tax is €500 more on >3001cc though, making it €1350 you need to budget for every year, plus insurance of course. It's not to be sneezed at, and I'm not the best at planning ahead.

That's why a Roadrunner is also on my wish list. If you're gonna be paying €1350, might as well get value for money with 6l+, right? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I think the XJ is a bit of an old mans car to be honest, I owned one for a few months and it was a bit of a let down really (like all Jags.) I only came across one manuel XJ. ever and it was a special order and bulletproof! You should consider a seven series BMW, very comfortable and a nice car to drive.

7 is on the list, certainly. It'll be a while before I move on though, and I want to consider all the options.

Love the A8 but I don't know a lot about them tbh, are they reliable, expensive to maintain, etc? As I said, the 7 is on my list. Don't like old 6's. Wouldn't buy a Merc unless it was a classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

A8s are NOT reliable, every one over 70-80000 miles needs suspension and a gearbox replacement.
    go jaguar or bmw 7, both are as reliable as merc used to be.
    The xk8/xkr are serious supercars, and i reakon that will be my next buy in used form. cant beat jaguar sports for pure 100% class and style.

What engines and running gear do the XJ's use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Ken Shabby wrote:
    What engines and running gear do the XJ's use?

Well there's all sorts, from the straight six 3.2 to the V12 6.0 liter in and around the year of the car in your link ('96)

The new series started in '97 and the XJR V8 4.0 liter Supercharged, 370bhp and 0-100km/h in 5.5 seconds was on my shortlist for my next car until recently...

Mrs unkel vetoed it because she feels it looks too dated. I kinda agree, that's why I let her cast a veto in the first place :)

Not ruling it out totally yet...

Great car though and reliable too. As lomb said, the rules of old don't apply any more, BMW and Jaguar are more reliable than Mercedes these days in the highest executive segment

I don't think they've dated tbh, in fact I'd go so far as to say that I reckon the one I linked is the peak of a classic mould; I think they went too far when they tacked the meshy body-coloured grill onto the newer ones.

I was thinking more along the lines of manufacturers when I asked about engines and running gear though, they don't build their own engines and platforms from scratch surely?

While I think of it, what are the early LS-series Lexus' like for reliability, maintenance costs, etc? I damn near bought one of them the last time around, always felt they have major "presence" on the road.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

Ken Shabby wrote:

That's why a Roadrunner is also on my wish list. If you're gonna be paying €1350, might as well get value for money with 6l+, right? :)

The roadrunner is a classic (pre 75) so you will pay classic tax on it ........about €65 a year I think. I drive a 3L V6 classic Scimitar and a 5.7L V8 Chevy campervan.In total for the two vehicles I pay less than €150 a year tax and less than €1500 insurance. I admit it may cost me a little extra at the petrol staion but at least I'm getting something for my money. For €1350 on the roadrunner you'll tax and insure it and have a good few hundred change

Advertisement