Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunne Fight Tonight

Options
  • 14-10-2005 3:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Anyone recommend any pubs in Dublin City centre that will be showing this fight in a good boxing atmosphere? Couldn't get a ticket myself unfortunetely. It being a friday night and television coverage being from 22.30 til late, am i best watching this at home?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Id love to watch it in a pub with a good atmostphere and people with some boxing knowledge in it .

However I will be watching it from home and hopefully all the home fighters win their bouts .

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Dunne looked World Class tonight. Awesome punches that got the fight stopped. Would like to seen a little more of him. :) I like his idea about getting the title fights here in Ireland.

Yes..............title fights :rolleyes: :D . Dunne was very impressive tonight and id love to see him in against Esham Pickering for the European Super Bantam title .

I was thinking more like world title fights

Dempsey wrote:
    I was thinking more like world title fights

Unless its a WBA , WBC , WBO or IBF title then the European one is more important .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

If Dunne is to keep fighting in Ireland it will not be long before he will be fighting in the point.He was impressive last night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭Geiger

Yep, I agree with everyone, Dunne looked great. He got the job done even quicker than I thought and it's obvious he's got a great future. I was also impressed with how humble he was in the post fight interview. Seems like a very likable guy.

I was kinda fearing that he'd play for the crowd and show off a little but he didn't, remained focused and stuck to his fight plan. They said another fight before christmas hopefully, i wonder what they have in mind

I think Dunne will be matched against either Esham Pickering for the European belt at Super Bantam title or Nicky Cook for the European Featherweight title .

Yuri Vorinin is scheduled to meet Nicky Cook in Cook's next fight . Dunne beat Vorinin in his last fight before last night .

I think Pickering is much weaker than Cook and I beleive Bernard looks stronger at Super Bantamweight anyway . Cook is a world class fighter but IMO Pickering is only up to top European standard and thats why I beleive Dunne should go after him . Pickering wouldn't be afraid to leave England if the money is right either .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭akindoc

Big Ears wrote:
    I think Dunne will be matched against either Esham Pickering for the European belt at Super Bantam title or Nicky Cook for the European Featherweight title .

Yuri Vorinin is scheduled to meet Nicky Cook in Cook's next fight . Dunne beat Vorinin in his last fight before last night .

I think Pickering is much weaker than Cook and I beleive Bernard looks stronger at Super Bantamweight anyway . Cook is a world class fighter but IMO Pickering is only up to top European standard and thats why I beleive Dunne should go after him . Pickering wouldn't be afraid to leave England if the money is right either .

Dunne was fighting against a poor fighter. Just look at Hughes record.

I was embarrassed for Dunne when he was calling himself a real world champion. The IBC belt is nothing.

I think Dunne will get found out at European level and definately at world level. He stepped down from feather because he was almost killed by a journeyman in Voronin (Should have been stopped) and he also should have lost his fight against Valdez. His record is very padded.

Obvioulsy the fact that he is Irish means that he will get support and loyalty from fans. But the fact still remains, that he really should have lost to a journeyman in his last fight and he is fighting nobody of note. The IBC belt is garbage.

I don't want Dunne to turn into the new Ricky Hatton. 40-0 with not one challenge at a top fighter.

It was really embarrassing when the commentator said, "Two world title fights in one night!" :( :mad: :mad:

More like two micky mouse titles on the line in one night.

• Advertisement

Hughes is a replacement and for a replacement he's a damn good one , other than his draw against Buckley his record is a decent one . He's only ever lost title fights (for the British and English title) and he's fighting for the English title again soon . Stephen Foster (currently 19-0) and Michael Hunter (22-0-1) are the only men ever to beat him and they both took 6 rounds to do so .

Anyone who doesn't know the IBC belt is nothing doesn't know anything about boxing , its pointless you saying that in this thread as I assume anyone who has even looked at a boxing forum (which this is) will already know that .

Vorinin is fighting for the European title soon , quite an achievement for a journeyman . I heard Valdez did beat Dunne so his record probably should be 16-1-0 . A man with only 17 proffesional bouts is bound to have a very padded record , Dunne's 4 last fights have been ok though . Dunne looks beter at Super Bantam so you can't critisize him for stepping down .

He's bound to get support , but with the lack of quality Irish fighters is it suprising ?

I wouldn't mind Dunne turning into Ricky Hatton , at least he'd be a world class fighter .

Yes the world title fight thing was rediculous , Darragh Maloney hasn't a clue about boxing but he's not an anylst so it doesn't matter that much .

As for done being found out at European level , lets hope Pickering or Cook give him the chance to fight for a European title and then we'll all see .
    TBH it's not like Pickering is that good , surely you'd give Dunne a chance against him .

Big Ears wrote:
    Hughes is a replacement and for a replacement he's a damn good one , other than his draw against Buckley his record is a decent one . He's only ever lost title fights (for the British and English title) and he's fighting for the English title again soon . Stephen Foster (currently 19-0) and Michael Hunter (22-0-1) are the only men ever to beat him and they both took 6 rounds to do so .

Anyone who doesn't know the IBC belt is nothing doesn't know anything about boxing , its pointless you saying that in this thread as I assume anyone who has even looked at a boxing forum (which this is) will already know that .

Vorinin is fighting for the European title soon , quite an achievement for a journeyman . I heard Valdez did beat Dunne so his record probably should be 16-1-0 . A man with only 17 proffesional bouts is bound to have a very padded record , Dunne's 4 last fights have been ok though . Dunne looks beter at Super Bantam so you can't critisize him for stepping down .

He's bound to get support , but with the lack of quality Irish fighters is it suprising ?

I wouldn't mind Dunne turning into Ricky Hatton , at least he'd be a world class fighter .

Yes the world title fight thing was rediculous , Darragh Maloney hasn't a clue about boxing but he's not an anylst so it doesn't matter that much .

As for done being found out at European level , lets hope Pickering or Cook give him the chance to fight for a European title and then we'll all see .
    TBH it's not like Pickering is that good , surely you'd give Dunne a chance against him .

I'm not going to argue whether or not Hughes is a good opponent. If you think he is good, well then that says it all really.

Voronin is nothing more than a journeyman and I will also not argue about this for the above reasons.

If you want to see Dunne turn into Ricky Hatton and defend the IBC belt 39 times against poor opposition, then good for you, but personally I DON'T. I was embarrassed and ashamed at the commentary. The general public thinks that Dunne is the best in the world and it's just wrong. "BERNARD DUNNE IS THE CHAMPION OF THE WORLD!!! HE'S THE CHAMPION OF THE WORLD!!!!". No he's not, he's a nothing champion because the belt means nothing.

Pickering would beat Dunne, as would Cook. Voronin had him all over the shop and he has been down against a poor fighter and should have lost to Valdez. He is becoming very overhyped in this country.

Once again, the whole show was a complete shambles and not the kind of thing we need as boxing fans.

JIM ROCK IS THE CHAMPION OF THE WORLD!!!

Dunne had Voronin beat in the first 9 rounds so he knocked him about in the tenth, did he hit the floor? No, he stayed on his feet and ducked and weaved even though he was clearly rattled. Alot of good fighters would have been floored.

I think all these organisations have ruined boxing is some ways, bring back the old days, only one world title to fight for and you were undisputed. Now you have to hold WBA,WBO,IBF & WBC which is a load of bollocks.

akindoc wrote:
    I'm not going to argue whether or not Hughes is a good opponent. If you think he is good, well then that says it all really.

Voronin is nothing more than a journeyman and I will also not argue about this for the above reasons.

If you want to see Dunne turn into Ricky Hatton and defend the IBC belt 39 times against poor opposition, then good for you, but personally I DON'T. I was embarrassed and ashamed at the commentary. The general public thinks that Dunne is the best in the world and it's just wrong. "BERNARD DUNNE IS THE CHAMPION OF THE WORLD!!! HE'S THE CHAMPION OF THE WORLD!!!!". No he's not, he's a nothing champion because the belt means nothing.

Pickering would beat Dunne, as would Cook. Voronin had him all over the shop and he has been down against a poor fighter and should have lost to Valdez. He is becoming very overhyped in this country.

Once again, the whole show was a complete shambles and not the kind of thing we need as boxing fans.

JIM ROCK IS THE CHAMPION OF THE WORLD!!!

Hughes is a good replacement , not the best of opponents but as replacements go he's a fairly good one .

What I meant by Dunne turn into Ricky Hatton I meant I would love to see him be the champion in his weight class .

Oh and stop mentioning the IBC , its not even worth pointing out that this fight was a 'title' fight .

The general public would have to be fairly stupid to think he's the best in the world .

Pickering Dunne is a close fight IMO , Cook would most likely beat Dunne and fairly comfortably . Vorinin shook him but Dunne had won all of the previous rounds , he's still learning and made a mistake in being so open .

As ive said before he probably should have lost to Valdez and of course he's going to be overhyped . Id rather that show than no show .

JIM ROCK POUND FOR POUND KING OF THE WORLD :eek: !!! .

Dempsey wrote:
    Dunne had Voronin beat in the first 9 rounds so he knocked him about in the tenth, did he hit the floor? No, he stayed on his feet and ducked and weaved even though he was clearly rattled. Alot of good fighters would have been floored.

I think all these organisations have ruined boxing is some ways, bring back the old days, only one world title to fight for and you were undisputed. Now you have to hold WBA,WBO,IBF & WBC which is a load of bollocks.

A good fighter wouldn't have been caught.

Watch how Cook deals with Voronin.

akindoc wrote:
    A good fighter wouldn't have been caught.

Even the Greatest was caught out i.e. Ali v Cooper

Lewis v McCall

Shall I name a few more? Don't be talking ****e:p

akindoc wrote:

Cook will TKO Vorinin as he is a great fighter and better than Dunne .

But I fail to see your point .

Dempsey wrote:
    Even the Greatest was caught out i.e. Ali v Cooper

Lewis v McCall

Shall I name a few more? Don't be talking ****e:p

Please don't compare Dunne to Ali or Lewis ever again.

Big Ears wrote:
    Cook will TKO Vorinin as he is a great fighter and better than Dunne .

But I fail to see your point .

my point was contrary to what Dempsey said. A lot of good fighters wouldn't have been caught by Voronin, let alone floored. And lets not forget Dunne was floored by another scrub previously.

akindoc wrote:
    Please don't compare Dunne to Ali or Lewis ever again.

Your missing the point completely, ANY fighter can get caught out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Dunne is no more than an average fighter who could possibly win a British Title at best. European is a step to far for him. He's 25 now and to be honest at the age where he should have already made it, if he was god enough. He looked good Friday night beating a real novice fighter in that Hughes Fellow. Anyone trying to make out Hughes was decent will never understand boxing. And Jimmy Magee and Dave boy MaCauley sounded so pathetic Friday night in their attempts to make out that the IBC was a world championship and that Dunne was real real class.......

walshb wrote:
    Dunne is no more than an average fighter who could possibly win a British Title at best. European is a step to far for him. He's 25 now and to be honest at the age where he should have already made it, if he was god enough. He looked good Friday night beating a real novice fighter in that Hughes Fellow. Anyone trying to make out Hughes was decent will never understand boxing. And Jimmy Magee and Dave boy MaCauley sounded so pathetic Friday night in their attempts to make out that the IBC was a world championship and that Dunne was real real class.......

Yes, that's a good post indeed.

Advertisement