Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

editing advice, avid and final cut pro

• 14-10-2005 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Which is better, Avid Xpress or Final Cut Pro? Is Final Cut Pro only available on an Apple Mac?

Thanks.

*Edited By Moderator*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

Final Cut Pro is only available on Apple. You get around the Avid problem by buying Avid. I don't mean to be facetious but it's a bollocks of a program to crack. Alternatively get Avid Free which is a superb slightly light version, but more than good enough for a non-professional.

My personal preference would be with Avid, but then i'm a PC user and that's always made me have a dislike for the Final Cut Pro interface. I'm more comfortable using Avid on a PC based system, and even when it's Mac based I can just operate it far better than I can Final Cut Pro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

nubbintom wrote:
    which is better? how do i get around the dongle problem with avid axpress? and is final cut on available on apple?

thanks

You mean how do I get a cracked copy of express?

FCP is only available on apples. And theres a free version for both platforms of avid, called avid free, available on their website.
    I'm more comfortable using Avid on a PC based system, and even when it's Mac based I can just operate it far better

Just out of curiousity how do you find avid easier to use on PC rather than Mac?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

TBH, There's so few right click functions available with Avid, I too would ask that question.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

mycroft wrote:
    Just out of curiousity how do you find avid easier to use on PC rather than Mac?
    I worded that badly. What I meant was that even when using Avid on a Mac I find it easier to use than Final Cut Pro. Or rather that i'm more comfortable using it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Chevano Riley

the problem with asking "which is better" is that everybody has their favourite and next to nobody regularly switches between the two.

if you're starting out get avid free dv, a spectacular free program. has almost all of the features an amateur could really need. http://www.avid.com/freedv/index.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭father_ted9t9

I Currently use both as i freelance, and i can safely say that for pure editing without much snazzy stuff that final cut pro does the job. The only thing is that if you want to do any real nice effects you have to use motion, and switching between progs can be a biotch sometimes. As opposed to avid which has everythin in the one package really except it costs 60-100 grand more than FCP.

I Still prefer Avid for ease of use, but FCP Is great for effects when you can use motion proficiently!

Advertisement