Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool vs Blackburn - 2 Questions

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

looks like a jammy 1-0 for pool against Blackburn's 10 men, cmon l'pool is that all u can score agaisnt ten men? :p

BTW whats up with Hyppia? not even on the bench if he out injured? anyone know? that big 6ft horse is in my fantasy team :D i gotsta know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Perhaps a casualty of the 4-1 loss to Chelsea? Maybe Benitez has decided his lack of pace is too easy to exploit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

looks like a jammy 1-0 for pool against Blackburn's 10 men, cmon l'pool is that all u can score agaisnt ten men? :p

Liverpool had 18 attempts on goal compared to Blackburns 5.. There is defo something wrong when you can only convert 1 in 18 attempts but jammy is ah little bit silly isn.t it..

Pity about Zurab. Would of liked to see how Blackburn would of done with 11 men on the pitch.

Well Blackburn as a team play a very physical game and have some players that are ticking timebombs half the time.. So there may not be many chances to see them will 11 on the team..

Hughes has said that he'll sort them out and I think he will. At least Neill got through a Liverpool game without getting sent off.

Interesting to see what the foul was like on the Premiership tonight, a few people have mentioned that it maybe only warranted a yellow.

I think its getting to a stage where Blackburn's reputation precedes them.

Only one group to blame for that though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

What was up with Carragher giving out to Hughes after the game, on the way to the dressing room? Didnt see the game myself...

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=184653&cc=5739

Hughes to appeal dismissal

Mark Hughes confirmed Blackburn will appeal over the controversial red card for defender Zurab Khizanishvili - a decision the Rovers manager claims cost them victory at Liverpool.

The Georgian was sent off in the first half for a trip on Djibril Cisse which referee Mark Halsey considered to be the 'last man' taking out an attacker heading for goal.

But Hughes claimed Halsey changed his mind over the incident and had initially only intended to award a yellow card.

'It was hard to take, we started the game brightly and were the more dominant team, the sending-off changed the complexion of the game,' he said.

'Having spoken to the lads, the referee's initial decision was that it was a penalty and he was pushed into seeing that was incorrect and when he goes over to the linesman he is saying it was likely to be a yellow card.

'But then he asked for clarification from his assistant and he is told the tackle was outside the box, then he comes back and gives him a red card.

'If he had given the penalty, would he have sent him off? The fact he didn't give a penalty seemed to change his mind and give our lad the red card.'

Hughes added: 'It wasn't a goalscoring opportunity, he wasn't bearing down on goal and he was actually going away from the goal.

'There were players getting back and the referee needs to look at the decision because he has affected the outcome of the game and we will appeal.

'If we don't appeal we will lose him and also Lucas Neill at right-back, and that's our cover taken out in one go.

'It changed the game. I thought we were excellent all day, we had to be determined and resolute and as the game went on I felt the only way we would concede was a set piece. Liverpool didn't create anything in open play.

'You fear when they get a free kick on the edge of the box that something will happen but I can't fault my players.'

There was relief for Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez as his side won only their second league match of the season.

Cisse has spent the intervening time moaning about spending too much time as a substitute or playing out of position but Benitez said: 'We shook hands, we are both professionals. He worked hard, scored the goal and got us the win.

'And for him, after he broke his leg at Blackburn last season, this was a better outcome.'

Looks like it wasn't deserved after all.

• Advertisement

After seeing it on the Premiership last night, I thought it was very harsh. Hopefully it'll be overturned like it should be.

Ruined the game for Blackburn though. Really think we could of got something out of this one with 11 players on the pitch.

Goal was a soft one to concede but it could've been alot worse if Liverpool had a decent striker capable of finishing.

LOL at Cisse's attempted volley when he could of just headed the ball, the most eccentric man in football indeed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Lemlin wrote:
    Looks like it wasn't deserved after all.

Because the manager of the team says so, yeah must have been completely farcical so :rolleyes:

The manager, several websites and the entire panel on The Premiership last night. I was using that article to illustrate the point.

Why, do you think he should of been sent off? If the same had happened to a Liverpool player would you not judge it as harsh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

Watched the highlights on football first last night and it was *technically* a sending off but it was possibly a bit harsh. I lost count of the amount of times Blackburn fouled Liverpool players though, they were a disgrace. Tugay certainly got away with a foul on Warnock for a definate penalty too. The result may have been different if Blackburn had kept 11 on the pitch but as soon as they were down to 10 they just shut up shop and played for a point (highlighted by sustituting Dickov for Todd straight away). I thought Cisse had a decent game (although his finishing was off) and the pool looked a lot more threatening with him on the pitch than they have in the last few games. Morientes was very rusty and (out of the three chances he had) should have put away the rebound off Friedel, but he is just back from 3-4 weeks out I s'pose and hopefully he'll start putting those chances away in the next few games. Sissoko looked like he had a decent game too and Zenden looked better in the centre than he has done on the wing. In the end I couldn't give a shít how Liverpool get a win as long as they start doing it more regularly from here on in.

Was sort of harsh in the end.. Blackburn will never get the benefit of the doubt with people like Savage and Neill on the team.. They are trouble makers and their reputation will always precede them..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

to be fair, it was the right decision. he was the last man so he had to go. it wasnt a rough tackle or anything, he went for the ball and got the man. so he had to go.

another goal from liverpool that didnt come from open play. but 3 points are 3 points

• Advertisement

Was sort of harsh in the end.. Blackburn will never get the benefit of the doubt with people like Savage and Neill on the team.. They are trouble makers and their reputation will always precede them..

A referee should be objective though. Despite the reputation a team has. Certain people may think of Blackburn as Blackeye Rovers but they've shown in games this year than they can play with skill.

to be fair, it was the right decision. he was the last man so he had to go. it wasnt a rough tackle or anything, he went for the ball and got the man. so he had to go.

Don't think you'd be saying that if it was Jamie Carragher that had got the red. Cisse was going away from the goal and there was another Blackburn defender and Liverpool player in line with him and Khizanishvili. Therefore he can't really be seen as the last man.

Hopefully it will be overturned as, like you pointed out, it was not malicious, he went for the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

el rabitos wrote:

another goal from liverpool that didnt come from open play. but 3 points are 3 points

Nah, he was going away from goal. Couple that with the fact it was Cisse and theres not a hope in hell it was a clear goalscoring chance.

Plus he didnt hit the free direct so it was open play. :)

Cisse was terrible, his finishing is atrocious. He was the same for France during the week.

Come back Michael Owen , we're sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

ok result at least we got the 3 points and thats what counts.

The guy deserved to be sent off, cisse would have scored or at least or would have had a chance if he hadnt been brought down.

Lemlin why the hell do you post in the liverpool threads when your not a liverpool fan, hell your not even a blackburn fan. As someone else said all you do is try and rise a few ppl as you are totally anti-liverpool, get over yourself mate.It says it all when you say that your an arsenal and chelsea fan, how can you support both.Grow up.

Lemlin why the hell do you post in the liverpool threads when your not a liverpool fan, hell your not even a blackburn fan. As someone else said all you do is try and rise a few ppl as you are totally anti-liverpool, get over yourself mate.It says it all when you say that your an arsenal and chelsea fan, how can you support both.Grow up.

agreed, bugging me at this stage tbh.
    Don't think you'd be saying that if it was Jamie Carragher that had got the red. Cisse was going away from the goal and there was another Blackburn defender and Liverpool player in line with him and Khizanishvili. Therefore he can't really be seen as the last man.

i'm not a blind liverpool fan, i can see when someone deserves to go. if the tackle was anywhere else on the pitch, it would be a tough call to say he even deserved a yellow for it. but cisse was going to be clear on goal and he was brought down. he WAS the last man between cisse and the goal. he's was sent off, end of story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

el rabitos wrote:
    i'm not a blind liverpool fan, i can see when someone deserves to go. if the tackle was anywhere else on the pitch, it would be a tough call to say he even deserved a yellow for it. but cisse was going to be clear on goal and he was brought down. he WAS the last man between cisse and the goal. he's was sent off, end of story.

It was never a red card. look where the ball ended up. it was going away from the goal at about a 70 degree angle. It ended up outside the box before it went over the line. He wouldnt have had a shot.

• Advertisement

i've seen it plenty of this times, i reckon it was a red. it was a djimi traore style tackle, i think he deserved to go, its my opinion and i'm sticking to it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Good to see that the FA saw sense and reversed the sending off, no harm as with the ball going away from goal and defenders nearby it was a poor decision, but hey maybe the FA are not right and that people here who know the rules so well are right ;)

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=317543&CPID=8&clid=&lid=2&title=Zura+wins+appeal

Originally posted by galwaydude

You've shown your ignorance here. Read all the posts. I am a Blackburn fan, why do you think I started the thread? When el rabitos asked me why I was anti Liverpool, I stated the facts. I don't like Liverpool or United. Out of the top teams, I like Arsenal and Chelsea. Never said I support either.

I like Arsenal to win things because they play attractive football and I like Chelsea to win because Damien Duff plays for them, and he is an ex-Blackburn player whom I admire alot. I would not want either to beat Blackburn when playing but I am a realist, and Blackburn have a snowball in Hell's chance of winning the PL again in the future. Much like Liverpool, but at least we've won one! (relax lads, its a wind-up, called a joke :))

Originally posted by galwaydude
    The guy deserved to be sent off, cisse would have scored or at least or would have had a chance if he hadnt been brought down.
    Originally posted by el rabitos
    i've seen it plenty of this times, i reckon it was a red. it was a djimi traore style tackle, i think he deserved to go, its my opinion and i'm sticking to it.

I'd love to see where you're getting all this stuff about negative Liverpool posts. I don't remember anywhere that I've made more negative posts about Liverpool than any other team. Have to admit though that I do like winding up my mates who support Liverpool because they take it so seriously. Much like you two I suspect.

Bottom line: Have a read of http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=346213&cc=5739.

Justice prevails in the end!

i've been a liverpool fan since i was a kid, of course i take it seriously.

its bitchy comments and remarks such as...
    that tend to bug people. if you have something constuctive to say, say it, if not, dont try to annoy people just for the laugh.

the appeal for the red card being over turned is just based on opinion aswell and i accept it, as i said i dont think it was a malicious tackle. but in my opinion he was the last man and deserved to go. the match was days ago now, so its over now.

Originally Posted by el rabitos
    i've been a liverpool fan since i was a kid, of course i take it seriously.

its bitchy comments and remarks such as...
    Quote:

that tend to bug people. if you have something constuctive to say, say it, if not, dont try to annoy people just for the laugh.

the appeal for the red card being over turned is just based on opinion aswell and i accept it, as i said i dont think it was a malicious tackle. but in my opinion he was the last man and deserved to go. the match was days ago now, so its over now.

In all fairness, I was replying to bitchy comments mad eby you and Galwaydude regarding me posting on threads. I always post my opinion, on any thread about any team. Be it Liverpool, Chelsea, Blackburn or Accrington Stanley.

Its not my fault if my opinion on that subject is negative, just like its not my fault that Liverpool have spent €30 million on strikers in the past two seasons but they can't buy a goal at the minute :) You see, that's my opinion, sorry if its negative but it is true.

Whether or not its constructive is for other people to decide. Some may see it as funny, others will not. Some Liverpool fans may be even able to have a chuckle at how the team turned away Owen yet it looks now like he's exactly what they need.

I like to see the lighter, funnier side of football. I've been a Blackburn fan since I was a kid too (1993 in fact) and, while I don't like people calling them thugs, I'm willing to have a laugh at the people who think they are by far the dirtiest team in the Premiership (last time I checked, Newcastle were bottom of the Fair Play league lads).

As a Blackburn fan though, you can't disagree with me being a tad upset that we could of had a greater chance at getting 1 point, or 3 for that matter, had 11men remained on the pitch. The refree has now admitted he was wrong by the look of things and therefore, IMO, justice did prevail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

of course, i have supported liverpool as well since i was a kid.

Sorry for the attack lemlin, my crime is that im a pasionate liverpool fan.:D

I suppose liverpool will always be critised but who cares afterall we won a certain trophy last season. Rafa will get it right, hes one of the best managers in the world and his record is second to none.

Big nelly, your a sheffield wed fan, i actually have a soft spot for them and always look for their results. They wont get promoted this season but next season they will. How is ritchie partridge getting on? he doesnt seem to be playing lot for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I have been busy since the weekend so have only got a chance to comment on this match now.

The key thing about this match was that Liverpool played 4-4-2 and created some chances from it, many more than they have been with their previous matches using 4-2-3-1 formation. With Gerrard out, and with a 4-4-2, Alonso stepped up to the plate and was the playmaker. Cisse was played not out wide but up front, and did much better than Crouch. For me, Crouch proved once again that he is just not up to the level that is necessary.

Liverpool created more chances, many of them half-chances, when compared with Blackburn. This game was always looking like a 0-0 or a win for Liverpool, so much so that the sending off made little difference to Blackburn's defending capabilities, if anything it only strengthened their resolve. Liverpool got their just rewards with a win in this match, but only just though.

A very valuable 3 pts for Liverpool, which they sorely needed if they are to get back on track and put themselves in a strong position to finish with a CL qualification place.

redspider

Advertisement