Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork traitor retires

• 14-10-2005 6:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭

Manchester utd traitor Roy keane has retired from international football.Thank god waited a long time for this.Now the real fans can get behind the team and not just the misquided dublin mancs.Talking about clouds and silver linings.
    Parhaps national day of celebration :):):):):):)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Hear hear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

after such good service for so long he will be missed, for it is an honour to say that the best holding midfielder, most influencial and player with huge insight graced that irish team with his presence

Thanks Roy

from blu_sonic, a Shamrock Rovers fan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

decies wrote:
    Manchester utd traitor Roy keane has retired from international football.Thank god waited a long time for this.Now the real fans can get behind the team and not just the misquided dublin mancs.Talking about clouds and silver linings.

You're not worth getting banned for so i'll just :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

decies wrote:

Those of us who appreciate Roy Keane for what he is and for what he has done far outweight the likes of you :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

fade2black wrote:

Hear Hear

Roy has provided great service to Ireland over the years. He will be missed big time. Just look at our midfield preformances in our last two games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Think that a bit unfair mate. While I do not respect Roy for walking out during the whole Saipan fiasco, i do know for sure that he was one of our best ever players, and that his presence will be sorely missed from the Irish international stage..
    As of yet we have nobody capable of even coming close to his presence on the pitch, and I can't see this happening over the next few years either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

He should never have been allowed come back, can't say I'm sorry he's gone.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

sorry to see him go, he was our only chance of going through. If he had been there in
    cyprus or on wednesday our chances would have a least doubled...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Roy Keane is the latest Irish player to offically confirm he will no longer be available for Irish selection. Although expected, I was hoping against hope he may choose to hang around a little longer. :(

Clearly, we'll have to settle for him as manager only. :D

[Edit] Appologies...I see there's already a thread on this, please delete...I didn'tnotice it with "cork traitor" in the title!! :mad:[/edit]

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Already a thread open on this mate, but the title of yours reads a hell of alot better that the one already open

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭decies

blu_sonic wrote:
    after such good service for so long he will be missed, for it is an honour to say that the best holding midfielder, most influencial and player with huge insight graced that irish team with his presence

Thanks Roy

from blu_sonic, a Shamrock Rovers fan

a shamrock rovers fan saying that,my god now thats a huge shock :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭CrimE

Yeah it was ineviatable really. Theres no way he has it left in him to hang around till euro/ next world cup so its bye bye Roy. He served us well.

Keane as manager... an interesting proposition :)

fade2black wrote:

Agree 100%... so i'll just :rolleyes: aswell.

Keane is a true hero and deserves all the respect in the world for his contribution to Irish football.

As I said already in the other thread with the much better title, I find the idea of Keano as manager a very interesting one :)

Thank you Roy for over 10 years of service to your country. A shining example to all young football players on how to carry yourself. He will be sorely missed in the setup, and after dragging us to the 2002 WC kicking and screaming, only to be denied the oppertunity to play in it, it's a crime against football that he dosen't get to play in Germany next summer. I can only imagine the type of performance he would have put in against the swiss to get us there.

Thank you Roy, and good luck. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Delighted, best news of the week. If he ever manages ireland i will lose a lot of interest in the national team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

I really cannot understand how people can badmouth roy keane. he is the best player i have ever seen in an irish jersey (granted im only 20), but he is the only truly world class player we have produced in the last decade and has been a driving force for our team during that time.

thanks roy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

besty wrote:
    I really cannot understand how people can badmouth roy keane.

World Cup 2002

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Roy Keane was and will be for a long time the best player to ever put on an Irish shirt.
    He has been our captain, with and without the band, for as long as he has played.
    He has put in some amazing preformances for Ireland and was one of the few people in the entire FAI organisation who believed we could actually win.

A living legend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Steve Heighway, Liam Brady, John Giles, better players and not prima donnas.

Goodbye Roy and good luck in whatever it is you decide to do as long as it is not manage Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I'll continue on from last post:

A living legend........
    Who walked out on his country because he couldn't get on with the national team coach. What a great way to show your sincerity for the nation Roy. Keane shows repeatedly in his book that he valued Man Utd over Ireland. He was one man who thought he was bigger than his national team.

If he was ever allowed to manage Ireland, I'd be disgusted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Keane super player possibly our best and most successful unlike our super pundits Giles Dunphy etc: Keane actually played in a world cup.

But he joins the list of shame with Romario, Stoichkov, Hagi, Gullit all great players who refused to play for their country cos the bad man said a bad word about them.

kdjac

Ok, I don't know if this thread is ment to go down a Roy Vs Mick McCarthy road here, so let's just set out a few groundrules! :)

1/ He never walked out on his country, he was kicked out of the world cup by Mick McCarthy, and he addmitted he wanted to stay.
    2/ He said he wouldn't go back if he was asked, which he never was, or would have been by McCarthy.
    3/ We don't know what the McCarthy/Keane relationship was like....it's about 15 years old, and a lot of things could have been said or done in that time by either party that we have no idea of.
    4/ It's fair to say, everybody (and anybody with ay memory or comprehension of football) knows we wouldn't have been in that WC if it wasn't for his performances in the qualifiers against Cyprus, Portugal, Holland.
    5/ If we're going to speculate about what went on in that room, then it's fair to say anything that happend or was said that could ryle Roy Keane up that much should have been handled in private, and if it was, the whole "undermining McCarthy infront of the squad" would never have happend, and that was McCarthys reason for sending him home.

I don't think anybody can take 100% either side, as they are both perfessionals, and it should have all been taking care of in private. If tension existed the FAI should have attempted to resolve it....do they even have a human resource department?

So there are as many as three parties at fault, and I can't say any of them can be 100% blamed.

All that said nobody can denie Roys contribution to Irish football....he's the greatest player of a generation...how ungreatfull can you be? If he had never of played football...we still wouldn't have had him in the WC, but we wouldn't have gotten all his amasing performances outside of it.

Legend.

Couldnt have put it any better myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

First off, Paul McGrath was the best ever player for Ireland, bar none.

Without rehashing 2002 all over again, Roy was Ireland's most important player since 1994 and had many great times with Ireland. He is also the final link with 1994 and the Charlton era.

I wish we had more like him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

DubGuy wrote:
    All that said nobody can denie Roys contribution to Irish football....he's the greatest player of a generation...how ungreatfull can you be? If he had never of played football...we still wouldn't have had him in the WC, but we wouldn't have gotten all his amasing performances outside of it.

Legend.

Here here.

I don't think we need to drag up saipan again though. Been. Done. To. Death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I'll definitely add my name to the list that think Keane was the best ever Irish player. Players of the past will always be respected more but Roy was without doubt imo the best ever.

we lost two of our most professional players this week. it cant be denied kenny cunningham was a great player and servant to irish football.

as for roy keane.
    now i have often got on keanes back and a few times on this forum but its more or less for the odd sulking he does, but he is a true great and a true professional and it was proven more in his absence then his presence.

seen how irelend wimped out of the last 2 games was a clear indication and keano will be sorely missed.

thanks for the memories kenny and keano, oh and brian, shut the door after you!

thanks for the memories kenny and keano, oh and brian, shut the door after you!
    Brian is also a gent and doesn't deserve comments like that. He tried his best, he failed. He has been great for football in this country.

• Advertisement

Roy keane walked away from his country.
    Roy Keane is a traitor.
    Nothing to do whether he was the best player or not.
    end of story.
    Bloke going on about example for kids indeed he was spoilt little brats who throw their toys out of the pram.
    Good Riddance Roy Traitor Keane.

decies wrote:
    He'll be back, no doubt about it. If Roy was manager and Mick was player in Saipan it would be Mick going home. He wouldn't be turning his back on his country. Just impossible to play together. Mick actually said he'd walk if Roy came back.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Brian is also a gent and doesn't deserve comments like that. He tried his best, he failed. He has been great for football in this country.

Why do you bother EB? I mean look at who and what your replying to, these people could tell you their chosen english clubs entire reserve team but couldnt name all the coaching staff for ireland. They know who scored all the goals in last seasons Fa Cup Final and what minute, but not who scored the 1st and last goals for ireland in the WC Qf group.

Alleged irish fans who only know about english football, its a paradox.......

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

decies wrote:
    Roy Keane is a traitor.
    Nothing to do whether he was the best player or not.
    end of story.
    Bloke going on about example for kids indeed he was spoilt little brats who throw their toys out of the pram.

As someone else pointed out a few posts ago Roy Keane was kicked out of the Ireland squad in 2002, not walk away like half of you blood thirsty Roy Keane haters love to think.

The bottom line is Roy Keane is the greatest player to wear an Ireland shirt and whatever about Saipan, Roy is an Irish legend and this is a terrible terrible loss for Irish football.

Thanks for the memories Roy.

Repeat until u understand. :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Devious

Steve Heighway, Liam Brady, John Giles, better players

In YOUR opinion :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

decies wrote:
    Repeat until u understand. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Yes and he should never be forgiven but he was still the best player whoe ver played for us hence the above praise for him. Hagi refused to play for Romania cos of some coach still the best Romanian player ever tho.

Love him or hate him he was our best ever player.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Roy Keane is the greatest player to wear a irish jersey.He was the captain without the band around his arm last few matches.Im sorry to see him retire. Just a shame that the world class player that he was only got to play in one major tournment at international level. Maybe someday he will change that as a manager.the whole saipan arguement goes out the window , Mick McCarty has said that he sent keane home , what more do the keane haters want ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Greatest Irish Player ever. FACT!

What came out of waterford?
    John O'Shea? Ha

Oh wait we also have that scumbag John Mullane.
    He should be locked up long ago

//mods please re-edit the title as its very unfair to the great man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

PHB wrote:
    Roy Keane was and will be for a long time the best player to ever put on an Irish shirt.
    He has been our captain, with and without the band, for as long as he has played.
    He has put in some amazing preformances for Ireland and was one of the few people in the entire FAI organisation who believed we could actually win.

A living legend

I agree.... and I backed McCarthy and not Roy over Saipan! (and I'm not from Cork and dont support Utd).
    However, I cant argue with the talent and buzz he offered to the team on so many occasions... his consistancy and passion was the best I've ever seen.
    Thanks Roy.

jank wrote:
    Greatest Irish Player ever. FACT!

What came out of waterford?
    John O'Shea? Ha

Some lad who played in goal for Ireland and Man utd , obviously crap if you dont know of him.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Best Irish player ever. Legend. The only one who cared enough and put the country before himself by speaking out.

If the rest of the senior players, I'm looking at you Quinn and staunton, had doen th eright thing and stood behind him instead of putting themselves at risk by maybe missing their last chance to play in a world cup it would have been so different.

The simple fact is that none of the players have since blamed him, which seriously smacks of them puting themselves and them playing in a world cup ahead of what was best for Ireland, whos the real traitor?

Definately my choice for manager, cos he will get th ebest from players. He has all their respect, its obvious.Although I dont think it will happen this time as its too early plus he should aty least get some coaching experience at Utd first and maybe when hes assistant at Utd he could make the jump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭TOPDAWG

Lemlin wrote:
    I'll continue on from last post:

A living legend........
    Who walked out on his country because he couldn't get on with the national team coach. What a great way to show your sincerity for the nation Roy.

Ill always hold roy keane up there as the one of the greatest players ive ever seen and thats coming from a liverpool supporter. All i can say is i now feel privileged to have been there live to see his last game in a green shirt (a man of the match performance btw!!) against the french.

How many of ye anti-keanes say every week about your boss/superiors/coworkers/working environment "Im fed up of it, i cant take anymore,il walk out etc etc....." But ye shuffle along with your heads down and do nothing about it.

Roy keane stood up in front of his teammates (the people for whom he was tryin to improve the conditions for in the firstplace!!) and looked for answers and instead was chastised for it.

And ye see him as a TRAITOR!!??????!! I see him as someone to look up, someone who demands the best of everyone, on and off field, someone who's true to himself and has been a lot more honest and forthcoming with the man utd and irish fans about the path he has taken and may soon be undertaking.

As i had on my jersey for 2002
    LOVE HIM IN GREEN, HATE HIM IN RED!!

Always be a legend!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Whatever will the sports writers in the herald do now that keane has retired! Maybe waste a few months doing the "Keane for manager" or "keane for president" campaigns, after that, scary. He was a good player, but theres too many incidents for me to respect him, good riddance.

Davei141 wrote:
    but theres too many incidents for me to respect him, good riddance.

how many?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Give the OP break. He's only voicing his opinion and I reckon he's just hitting a few home truths that some are not comfortable hearing or facing. Because Imho whilst I accept there is definetly a large percentage of people who genuinely take TheTraitors side on things re Saipan there is also lot of hypocrites around who were ready to forget it all and accept TheTraitor back into the fold (not because they felt he was right in his actions in 2002 but) only because he was a great player and they could see as well as anyone that he was needed on the pitch.

By comparison I know if it had been some donkey like Gary Doherty who had done exactly what TheTraitor had done then nobody would have listened to his side or lobbied to get him back in. It was an example of pure 'jock mentality' as far as I'm concerned where the big man can do whatever he likes and we'll all turn a blind-eye as long as we keep winning. The fact that TheTraitor was welcomed back v Romania with such gusto indicated to me that something serious had happened to the average Irish fan and that actually disappointed me more than Saipan.

Principles were thrown out the window when it looked like his return might improve our team but then that's the cynical attitude of most sports teams in a nutshell. We used to be better than that and it was the final nail in the coffin of ruination of the average Irish supporter imho.

As well as showing we had become a bunch of 'win at any cost' supporters TheTraitor single-handedly destroyed the 'innocense factor' of supporting Ireland. Remember the wide eyed optimism that we used to have as we got behind a bunch of hard-working honest lads and cheered them on as they 'had a go' at superior opposition and more often than not came out on top? That was still around in 2002. Remember how we used to view the Irish team almost as a club or tight knit family who were playing for 'us' as much for themselves? That was still around in 2002. We were grown men and women watching these 'boys in green' and whether they won drew or lost we didn't call for blood and were just grateful to have been there to cheer these men who represented Ireland? Well that's all gone now. Nowadays most of the players are just looked upon as interchangable components to deliver successs and in many cases are viewed with contempt and scepticsm.

Nowadays every second debate is either about questioning the players attitudes or automatically presuming & demanding success in every single match/campaign or calling for the managers head BEFORE he's even failed. This used not to be the way! To see the change recall JackCharltons last days. Charltons final few games for us were utter rubbish to behold (definetly far worse than McCarthys last 2games or even Kerrs last 3). He knew it wasn't good enough and we knew it wasn't good enough. However he was never booed off the pitch v Latvia (H) or Holland (anfield) in the way McCarthy and Kerr have been. That's because we really were supporters back then.

FastForward 7 years and by the time the rot had started to set in for McCarthy we're no longer the 'best bunch of fans in the world'. We're calling for the managers head and booing him off the pitch. Funny how people weren't turning off our tv's boycotting the WC-Finals in droves if they felt so strong about the issue? The BooBoys only decided they had had enough of McCarthy AFTER we had started a losing streak. Saipan had turned us into a nasty bunch of fairweather fans and nasty so and so's . I put the instigation of this new attitude of ours squarely on TheTraitors actions and stance in the build up to wc2002.

Whilst no one can question the significant input TheTraitor has made to the Ireland cause over years e.g. helping us get us to whopping two touraments in 14 years and 'gracing us' with his presence in NEARLY HALF of the 147 Ireland fixtures that have taken place since his debut some would argue that his actions in 2002-2004 have damaged the Ireland setup (and the general experience of just being a supporter) more than anything positive he's ever contributed to the Irish international soccer team and all that surrounds it.

Now compare all this to the (perhaps) imminant departure of Brian Kerr. Whilst we've (needlessly imho) missed two tournaments by a long margin under his steerage and I would like BK to step down as much as the next guy I don't for a second question the mans integrity, honesty, loyality and commitment to this team during his time in change and I'll be the first to shake his hand and thank him for his efforts if I ever run into him in the future. I guarentee you'll never see me say that about TheTraitor.

Kerr might have played sterile, passionless and ultimately unsuccessful football that was hard to enjoy .... but his approach and failure wasn't what more or less destroyed the 'Irish experience' for me personally. TheTraitor (and the and the subsequent emergence of boo-boys at both Swiss home games) were what made sure of that. TheTraitors actions have taken us away from the innocent & positive heydays of JacksArmy etc and sent us to a dark place as supporters and I feel it is a place we will not be able to return from for a long time.

I will never deny that 'Roy Keane' was a great footballer for club and country but ulimately the above testimony will be TheTraitors legacy as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

fade2black wrote:
    Agreed, here here. His presence will be missed but maybe it'll free the way for some of the younger lads coming through.
    Thanks for the service Roy :(

Pigman II wrote:
    there is definetly a large percentage of people who genuinely take "childish comment" side on things re Saipan there is also lot of hypocrites around who were ready to forget it all and accept "childish comment" back into the fold (not because they felt he was right in his actions in 2002 but) only because he was a great player and they could see as well as anyone that he was needed on the pitch. .

He was dead right.

Stekelly wrote:
    how many?
    Too many.
    He was dead right.

If roy keane wasnt such a man child he would of voiced his concerns in a way that didnt leave us without our captain and one player down, never mind the country being split, keane thought he walked on water and that he could say what he wanted and how he wanted, he was wrong.

Davei141 wrote:
    Too many.

Well thats an answer. Besides Saipan (which Im assuming, despite mccarthy saying he sent him home, genesis report saying hes right and all the players supporting him since, your blaming him for) what else has he done.

End a players career maybe? I guess that must of slipped your mind and would tarnished the image of keane with a halo around his head.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement