Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another "which mp3 player should I buy?" thread

Options
  • 14-10-2005 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭

With the iPod 5G out of the bag, it's about time for me to get a new music/media player. I've been doing some research, yet since opinions are so varied it's hard to know which one to settle on.

I've had an iPod before and loved the little thing. Now I'm very interested in its video capabilities. As with the one I used to have, the only major gripe is the battery life really.

The Cowon iAudio X5L is pretty much the exact opposite, (seemingly) shíte interface yet has fantastic battery life.

I've been looking at portable media players aswell (namely the Cowon A2, Creative Zen Vision) and they look the part. While for video they're perfect, whether they're good for playing music on is another story. Size is also an issue, don't want a massive machine sticking out of my pocket.

The other thing that makes me wary is whether a wave of superior players will be released soon, like the Cowon A2. Are there any more that I should know of?

Feel free to recommend other media players aswell.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭thejovialhost

Archos Gmini402. I've the 400, same difference. Decent battery and small easy to use-just file trees and ID3 tagging

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

The Cowon iAudio X5L is pretty much the exact opposite, (seemingly) shíte interface yet has fantastic battery life.
    You sure? Never used one meself, but I heard the interface was pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Archos Gmini402. I've the 400, same difference. Decent battery and small easy to use-just file trees and ID3 tagging

Hmm... only 20 gigs though... Lowest I could consider is 30.
    You sure? Never used one meself, but I heard the interface was pretty good.

Apparantly you can't browse artists by artist, album, genre etc. (which is pretty crap tbh). Play button is separated from the other buttons. Plus the screen layout looks a bit too colourful and blocky to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭thejovialhost

Just an MP3 player you want is it? Or are you interested in the whole movie playing aspect too because you wouldn't need that much space for just music unless i'm totally wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

20gigs is not that much.
    I filled my 30GB Zen in no time at all. Now have a H340 but am being more selective with what goes on as I could easily fill it 2 or 3 times over with music.

• Advertisement

20 gigs would fill up with music in a flash.

That's the thing with the new iPod. 60 gigs is very nice.

It's just a shame about its battery life. I'd honestly prefer a machine the size of a 2G iPod with much better battery life than one with the width of a sheet of paper.

Of course, next year a new iPod will be released that rectifies that... but it'll hold out on FM radio till the next wave!

Bump.

Advertisement