Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quiet as a mouse - But it's a boxer

Options
  • 14-10-2005 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

I have a 11 month old boxer bitch who seems to have lost her tongue. Since we got her as a puppy she has never really been one to let herself be known and never even whimpered on her first nights. She can actually bark and does when playing with a bone or the like out the back. She seems very happy and plays away with the kids and goes ballistic if there is another dog around to play with.
    I was just wondering if it was normal for her to be so quiet - if anyone comes to the door she only bothers to get off the couch if they come in and then she just rushes out to wag her tail furiously at them be they strangers or friends. Other people I know with Boxers as old as ours reckon their dogs bark furiously if anyone approaches their front door even.
    I'm not complaining because I wouldn't trade her for anything and it is nice to have a bit of quiet aswell (when the kids aren't around!) but I was hoping that she may offer some form of deterrent and protection when my wife is at home alone. She may well change when she gets a little older I suppose but does anyone out there knows if this is normal?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

She obviously doesn't rank guard duty as her responsiblity. Other than actually train her to bark at everything (which I REALLY wouldn't recommend) there isn't much you can do. Not all dogs (regardless of breed) are cut out to be guards.

On the upside, I would see her quietness as a good sign, she obviously is well adjusted, well sorted as far as rank goes and quite happy in herself. And she trusts you and yours to keep her safe.

What more can you ask for?

Believe me ... a yappy-snappy dog is no joy ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

The one line that struck me was about only greeting people after they come in and rushing up to them wagging her tail, is it possible that she could be deaf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭craggel

Arcadian wrote:
    The one line that struck me was about only greeting people after they come in and rushing up to them wagging her tail, is it possible that she could be deaf?

Like the kids only 'selective deafness' - she lifts her head up when she hears the door or anyone outside and she can hear her food bag rustling from two rooms away so I don't think deafness is an issue thankfully.
    I was talking to someone else today that said their dog was similar until she had pups and then she became very protective of everyone in the house and barked at everyone who came within a mile of the place.

Peasant - you're probably right in that she doesn't regard guard duty as her job - she only seems to regard hoovering the floor after meals etc to be her job. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭NukeD4

I have an 8 month old boxer dog,and hes not a big fan of the postman or anyone coming up the drive or even walking past he starts barking like mad bu as soon as the doorbell rings his tail goes mental,and when hes left out the back he barks at his bowl for attention,
    i think he likes the sound of himself barking
    He freindly but he aint gentle ,big dog small brain:D :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

i have an 8yo goldern retreiver like that , the only time he barks is when he sees a cat walking on the wall next to the house , just be thankfull , we have neighbours with very musical dogs , 1am 2am ......and as for protection even the quietest dog will react if a member of their pack (family )are in trouble

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭madness

boxers bitches dont usually start guarding anything untill they are around 18
    months old,she is still a pup and wants to enjoy some play time with out worrying about doing anything else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭shinners007

i have 2boxers male and female both rarely bark and are extremely lazzy:eek:

i really dont think youve anything to worry bout!!!!

Advertisement