Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Net Access

Options
  • 15-09-2001 5:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭

Just a small question bout Broadband Net Access in Eire...
    A vicious rumour doin da rounds iz dat Eircom (((our fabulous ISP provider :eek: ))) have @ last got demselves ADSL and it is available 4 purchase.
    Wot i want to know is when da f**k will ppl liek me have it in our area...i mean my fone line is shockin bad n i feel we shud have ADSL running to evry home for a cheap flat rate.

I woz wondering just wot is da cost of Eircoms ADSL ???(((if their ISDN prices r ne tings 2 go by im f**kd!!!11 :( )))
    Does it work as well as it's supposed to???
    and who da hell wants ADSL now when da States have T1 and T3 lines da are another 10times faster!!!1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

Umm, adsl should be available fairly soon in certain parts of Dublin, I wouldnt count on seeing it anywhere outside of Dublin in the near future though... Afaik its going to be 140/month for no download limit, 90 for a 5 gig limit and 60 for a 3 gig limit? Dunno the figures for the limits exactly, its something around that though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Originally posted by Kaimera

A vicious rumour doin da rounds iz dat Eircom (((our fabulous ISP provider :eek: ))) have @ last got demselves ADSL and it is available 4 purchase.

no, its not.
    the prices are decided thats all.

Wot i want to know is when da f**k will ppl liek me have it in our area...

well i could guess where you live, but i wont .
    I woz wondering just wot is da cost of Eircoms ADSL

About £300 for the installation, and £100 pre month with 3GB cap, so no gaming im afraid

and who da hell wants ADSL now when da States have T1 and T3 lines da are another 10times faster!!!1

What use has a home user for that bandwidth?
    and no, most home users in america do not have access to these speeds.
    most still have 56k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Otay..thanx chernobyl for 1) pointing out the short fallings in my way of writing sentences
    and 2) for setting me straight in a few details.

Neway....aside from ADSL, and ISDN.....

Is it true that DSL is in Ireland but will not b available for years ??
    ((i mean we've got ADSL now and DSL woz supposedly here first))

for ur information cherry...home users would want ADSL cos they would want to play CS virtually lag free ((albeit they would be 20-30 yr olds working for BT r whos father/brother works/owns a IT company and has nothing better to do))

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Is it true that DSL is in Ireland but will not b available for years ??
    ((i mean we've got ADSL now and DSL woz supposedly here first))

This sounds like someone has been extracting the urine.

DSL = Digital Subscriber Line
    ADSL is a particular implementation of DSL, and increasingly the most popular. There are/were others, such as XDSL. DSL is the generic term used for the entire set of technology, rather than a specific implementation.

for ur information cherry...home users would want ADSL cos they would want to play CS virtually lag free ((albeit they would be 20-30 yr olds working for BT r whos father/brother works/owns a IT company and has nothing better to do))

He asked why someone would want T1 or T3 lines, not ADSL. While it may be possible to obtain these in the US, they are expensive, and youd really want to have a use for that amount of bandwidth.

jc

Advertisement