Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neon Genesis evangelion and paranoia agent..... questions

• 14-10-2005 7:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭

Ok ive strated getting into manga and anime recently but mainly just the movies. now only two series have attracted my attention from what ive heard about them and their conten and they are neon genesis and paranoia agent.

I have a few questions about the neon genesis series firstly.....
    How many episodes are there?
    how many series?
    3 films right? death, rebirth and the end of evangelion?
    is it possible to get all of the series episodes in a dvd box set?

Now the paranoia agent questions.....

This is a new series ye?
    am I correct in saying only the first two dvds are available here?
    Is there a movie based around this or is it just a fresh idea?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

NGE
    26 Episodes
    1 series
    2 films: Death & Rebirth; End of Evangelion.
    Yes, there was a boxset available from cdwow a while ago.

As for Paranoia Agent, I dunno anything about a film for it.
    Anime series come from Manga generally and don't necessarily have films attached to them.

[edit]Boxset on Ezydvd, http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/221700. Same as the on on CDWow. I don't think these are the remastered dvds though.[/edit]

[edit2]Here is the R1 perfect collection, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000639E0/103-7892051-7990259?v=glance&n=130&n=507846&s=dvd&v=glance
    [/edit2]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

How many episodes are there?
    24 I think

how many series?
    I'm sure its one

3 films right? death, rebirth and the end of evangelion?
    yup

is it possible to get all of the series episodes in a dvd box set?
    Ya its possible. I asked the same on this board a few months ago. Think it was Cloud that posted a link to the box set from cd-wow for about €80

I enjoyed most of the series. The start was good. Dipped around the middle and picked up towards the end. The last couple of episodes were a bit of a head ****

edit:
    Makaveli cleared up the few bits I was wrong on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

oh i had another question about the neon genesis. i saw a platinum collection. is this just the remastered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Yeah it is. Released last year I think. Haven't seen the dvds so I can't comment on the quality. I think there's extra commentary on some of the episdoes too.
    There's nothing wrong with the original boxset anyway but I suppose there is no harm in getting the remastered set if it isn't that much more to buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭cade

theres 26 eps but most see it as 24 as the last 2 were supposedly a terrible ending to the series, aint seen it yet meself, hence why the 2 films were made, Death and rebirth was a recap of all the episodes while End of .. was the Finale done properly.

unless ordering of the net go with the platinum edition, same price in tower and hmv as original edit and less dvd's involved in platinum also i can never find above Vol. 3 of the original in shops, hence why im stuck..... :mad:

i really wanna see paranoia yet i aint forkin over €30 for no dvd let alone €34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

Paranoia Agent is a damn good series, be sure to check it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

I actually bought the 1st disc of it the other day with the limited edition box set for all four discs. I love what ive seen so far. im gonna get disc two on friday when when i get paid next probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Eva is kind of the deep-end when it comes to anime series - far too much philosophical waffle to be very enjoyable IMO. I'd recommend something a bit more accessible - Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, Samurai Champloo for e.g.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

The EVA Remastered DVDs are a good bit superior to the originals, for starters there's two 5.1 surround tracks, (English and Japanese), they've fixed the "wobbling" of the video, and they've made the colours much more vibrant and clear (they are washed out by comparison in the original release).

I think the "philosophy" end of eva is fairly thinly spread, there's a lot of references to babylonian and christian mythology (amongst others), but it's a bit of a mish mash. You don't need it to enjoy the series; in fact if you knew too much about it you might be a little irritated :)

The core (and really only) philosophical issue explored by eva is the boundary between people, whether self-imposed or physical.
    So if you're interested you can watch it in that light, might give it that extra layer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Paranoia Agent is sooooo.... good.

I've got the first two volumes.. has anyone got any idea when volume three is due out?

Also I really want a Maromi doll... that thing is so creepy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Sico wrote:
    Eva is kind of the deep-end when it comes to anime series - far too much philosophical waffle to be very enjoyable IMO. I'd recommend something a bit more accessible - Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, Samurai Champloo for e.g.

Man... the original Ghost in the shell wrote the book on philosophical waffle, EVA has nothing on it in comparison.

Evangelion has 26 episodes, with 2 films, Death & Rebirth & The End of Evangelion. Death & Rebirth is a quick run through of the entire series, not an original EVA story, the End of Evangelion is an alternative to episodes 25 & 26 of the series and in my opinion, far supreme to the original ending of the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

So close.

Death is a run through of eps 1-24 in order of characters as well as chronological.
    Rebirth is eps 25 & 26
    End Of Eva is eps 25 & 26 (again) plus an extra hour of proper ending.

Sorry Laguna, didn't mean any offence but the people need to know the facts.
    Feel free to attempt to correct me if anyone thinks that I'm wrong. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Yeah Death is episodes 1-24, but Rebirth is not episodes 25 & 26 though, it's the first half of the End Of Evangelion, you don't get an "ending" by watching Death & Rebirth, only an incentive to go and watch End Of Evangelion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Yes and there is a hilarious intermission inbetween the two of them on the DVD.

Advertisement