Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which bike?

Options
  • 14-10-2005 8:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hello,
    i'm thinking of buying my first road bike in the next month, but i'm not sure which one to go for. I have a budget of 700 to 800 euros. I've looked at the trek 1000 and the giant ocr 2 recently. Having read some bad reviews of the trek, i was leaning towards the giant. Does anyone have any opinions on these bikes or general advise on buying a road bike? Also, i'm 6'2" and about 80kg. What size bike will i need?

cheers, Con.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

i have a giant ocr from last year - very pleased with it. you would need the
    large at least. good time to buy, I got mine in belfast for 300 less than it was in the shops here. try mcconvey cycles..

eg:
    http://www.mcconveycycles.com/products.php?plid=m1b9s6p1064

though not sure the ML size would be big enough, price that bike down here and you are talking 1000 at least..
    I went up to collect mine though to be sure of the size..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭roadmanmad

Just curious,

What was the bad news with treks. I ride a 1500. I am watching e-bay lately and there is good value if you are spending the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 munsterdude23

The reviews i read for the trek 1000 complained about the wheels, shifters, derailers and having alot of trouble with them. However, the reviews of the 1500 were excellent. Everyone asked said it gave no problems and preformed well when raced against much more expensive bikes. It costs more than 1500 Euros, doesn't it? so its way outta my budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

I'm not sure of the price of the Specialized Allez but it's worth a look. You'd probably need a 58cm frame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Harkev

Its worth shopping around - getting last years model can knock a good few yoyo off the price. I got last years model of the Cannondale R500 with a set of Alex wheels for €900 in cycleways.. very pleased with it. its a step up from the trek 1000 (tiagra groupset over sora).

• Advertisement
Advertisement