Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First Car to get Zero Stars in NCAP Test

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

The re-test video is just as bad!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Omg is it made out of rice krispy cakes ???

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just to add insult to injury I read somewhere that GM are looking at suing the same Chinese company for copying one of their designs. That 4x4 is almost identical in looks to the Opel/Vauxhall Frontera.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

AFAIK that Landwind thingy is nothing else but a re-hashed Izuzu / Frontera of the early to mid nineties ... which were no different in basic construction than other 4 X 4 's of their time.

This should finally put an end to the myth that big 4 X 4's are safe ...especially older ones on ladder frames are anything but ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Amazing how the steering column came loose and broke the test dummy's neck :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Damn, that thing folded big time. I'm surprised their allowed to sell anything that fails NCAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Nelo86

Serves them right for buying a Stupid Useless Vehicle ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

If anything the retest video is even more shocking. Lower speed by 10km/h & a wider shot but the front wheel ends up almost underneath where the driver is sitting. How did this get approval?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

bazz26 wrote:
    Just to add insult to injury I read somewhere that GM are looking at suing the same Chinese company for copying one of their designs.
    Figures. Can't be for this one though..this design didn't catch fire (Or maybe the Chinese improved it..i mean..it's possible the kiddly-wink in the backseat survived..) :rolleyes:

*every time i see these videos i expect the dummy to get out and crawl away in pain... (Obviously,not this time...)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

TUV & ADAC, obviously being german, and having just watched the retest video I am reminded of that Simpson's episode where mercedes are using human beings for crash tests-hilarious!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This is the 3rd thread on this vehicle!

How does something so bad get Type Approval?

I look forward to Top Gears road test.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

what the fcuk. that is one **** car.does anyone know if its was a really car and what was it.hope its not on the market:D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's a 4x4 built and sold only in China I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

peasant wrote:
    AFAIK that Landwind thingy is nothing else but a re-hashed Izuzu / Frontera of the early to mid nineties ... which were no different in basic construction than other 4 X 4 's of their time.

This should finally put an end to the myth that big 4 X 4's are safe ...especially older ones on ladder frames are anything but ...

It clearly is a copy of the Frontera but the Chinese must have done something nasty in the copying process as the original didn't score that badly.

http://www.euroncap.com/content/safety_ratings/details.php?id1=9&id2=125

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

bazz26 wrote:

"The 4WD has been brought into the European market for the first time lately and naturally it has to go through European NCAP tests."

It was hailed as China's big move on the Euro market...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It's ok everybody, dont worry, the airbag delployed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

It's very cheap which means it will sell..........unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

John R wrote:
    It clearly is a copy of the Frontera but the Chinese must have done something nasty in the copying process as the original didn't score that
    This shows how much we buy the marketing image of Euro NCAP. This IS an Opel frontera, and the only difference is 3 year of testing criteria. The Frontera was the greatest piece of crap to rarely (thank god) grace our roads.

If you buy based on Euro NCAP you're buying marketing, and little else.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Could this be the world's first 'pedestrian safe' SUV? :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

It's very cheap which means it will sell..........unfortunately.

not here, though ...once the good VRT people get their hands on this, it won't be cheap any more. :D:D:D

this "thing" starts at 14 k on the continent ...by the time it gets here it'll be 35 k ...don't worry.

so ...for once ...the VRT will actually be a good thing :D:D:D

(See the Tata Safari as another example of a cheap fourbe that never made it into this country ...thanks to VRT)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

bazz26 wrote:
    Must be the newest way to combat overpopulation...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

This IS an Opel frontera, and the only difference is 3 year of testing criteria.
    Well, it IS an Opel Frontera DESIGN ... but add in a bit of fine (probably thinner) Chinese quality steel, some dodgy quality control, and a liberal dose of cost cutting engineering compromises, and the resemblance to an original Opel Frontera is gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

This shows how much we buy the marketing image of Euro NCAP. This IS an Opel frontera, and the only difference is 3 year of testing criteria. The Frontera was the greatest piece of crap to rarely (thank god) grace our roads.

If you buy based on Euro NCAP you're buying marketing, and little else.
    If you look at the test results, pics, videos for the Frontera, it holds up a lot better. IIRC it is a 3 star car (which still isn't great) The testing criteria for the offset test have not changed in the 3 years. The Landwind's structure is clearly a lot worse and looks to be exceptionally weak in the sill, floor, and footwell area.

I also thought the Landwind was based on the Frontera. But if the reports of GM suing are correct then it may be an "unauthorised copy" which looks exactly like a Frontera but isn't.

Another possibility is that it may be based on the Frontera (with coooperation from GM) but perhaps the Chinese have decided to cut corners when producing it. For instance, in a critical part fo the structure they could be putting one spot weld where the Frontera has two. Only when the car is in a crash does the absence of the 2nd weld become apparent.[edit] similar point made already by Alun

Advertisement