Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone ever been refused a licence despite meeting requirements?

Options
  • 14-10-2005 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever fulfilled all the requirements necessary to get a licence but the Gardai still refused them? Even if you are refused, is there anything stopping you from applying a secone time? Could you keep applying until you get on? Is applying for a shotgun licence the same as applying for any other type of gun?
    Also, once you apply how long do you usually have to wait to come through?
    Thank You

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Lots of people for lots of different reasons. Nothing stopping you reapplying, but the best way of dealing with a refusal is to bring it to the district court. Super then has to stand up and explain to the judge why you are not a fit person. Something that's difficult to do seeing as the definitions are in the 1925 and subsequent Acts.
    Length of time really depends. Some stations have a dedicated firearms officer, and usually they get dealt with fairly promptly, bu there's a lot of paperwork and groundwork to do in vetting a new application. Then it has to go to the Phoenix Park, where again it's scrutinised. Eventually word gets back to your firearms officer who issues the license.
    Usually the first time you have a cover note until the computer system catches up with you at the next available 31st July renewal date. Times vary on a first app. anything from three months up to about six. Anything more than that, and there's a problem, and you'd better get proactive about it. Subsequent licenses are usually quicker as all your details are on file. I got my second license on the day I applied :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Renewals are not a problem, as they are issued right away. It's the initial licence that you will have a problem with. It may have to do with where you are from and who you are dealing with. It took me about 18 or more months to get my official licence.

As for differances, there are some differances. Like you must be apart of a pistol club in order to possess one. Shotguns would be, in my opinion, easier to aquire than say a rifle or pistol. The age limits are differant too...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

The age limits are differant too...

Not according to the Firearms Acts..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Riggser

From talking to fellow sporting shooters it depends on each individual case. I live in a built up residential area with a large population so it's common sense that I'll have more of a trek than someone out in the sticks. I've talked to people who know their Super and if he or she is a relative your in like Flynn. Throw the thing under the pillow you'll be grand and that's not far from the truth.

As you'll find when you talk to other sporting shooters who know their stuff and see posts on this board everyone will have an individual story. What pisses me off and I'm sure other board members will agree that there is NO clear creteria at the moment for certain firearms.

Fair enough a shot gun is pretty straight forward. Get your permission letters, maybe join a club, get a safe. But does the Super want an alarm on your house? Does he want you to do a course in whatever firearm you're looking for?

As for application times. I've been told by some people less than 10 working days from when they walk into the Cop shop to having the license in hand. Then the likes of myself running into months. Some Gardai will ring and apoligise for delays others won't give you the steam off their .... kettle... and make you chase them, that gets both parties angry. But it shouldn't be that way.

I'll stop there, I've plenty to rant and rave about but I'm sure you have the jist of my complaints by this stage.

mmm, don't know the ins and outs of the act but I always understood that for a single barrel shotgun the age limit was 16, 17 for a double barrel and 18 for a rifle? Are you telling me that you can purchase a rifle or pistol at the age of 16???

Technically you have to keep the gun in a safe, but how exactly can the gardai tell? They are not permitted to view the safe in your house, regardless of what they say. Also there are no requirments to have an alarm or have a cert in any courses. It helps but NOT a requirment. It would be against your constitutional right as a citizen of Ireland to be refused a firearm if all requirments in the act are met.

If you have any serious problems and you think you are in the right then seek legal advice from your solicitor. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

mmm, don't know the ins and outs of the act but I always understood that for a single barrel shotgun the age limit was 16, 17 for a double barrel and 18 for a rifle? Are you telling me that you can purchase a rifle or pistol at the age of 16???

Yes.

Can I have a link please... I somehow doubt that they will issue licences for pistols to 16 year olds.

I waited until I was 18 to get a rifle. Has the act changes or something?

Solicitors cost money and more annoyingly time and patience. The FO I'm dealing with read out to me guide lines they have in place. Monitored alarm, safety/range course, safe and gun club membership. And thats want he said the Super was looking for in the least. I've heard stories and they look likely to be turning out true with regards to getting "hassle", as in giving as much as you can to the Gardai yet getting little in return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Can I have a link please... I somehow doubt that they will issue licences for pistols to 16 year olds.

I waited until I was 18 to get a rifle. Has the act changes or something?

Doubtful that they WOULD.BUT thats not to say that they COULD!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

The 1925 Act says you have to be over 15; this was amended in the '64 act to 16.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 yrrof

rrpc wrote:
    Nothing stopping you reapplying, but the best way of dealing with a refusal is to bring it to the district court. Super then has to stand up and explain to the judge why you are not a fit person. :

Thought you had to go to the High court, until the new Criminal Justice Bill is passed. Whenever that might be

would you actually take your Super to court? Is there not a Garda COmplaints commission thingy that you can go to first to see if the matter can be settled outside of the dock?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Riggser wrote:
    would you actually take your Super to court?

Plenty of other people have its the last resort if you really want the firearm.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Riggser wrote:
    would you actually take your Super to court? Is there not a Garda COmplaints commission thingy that you can go to first to see if the matter can be settled outside of the dock?
    That's for cases of garda abuse riggser (as in, one gave you a thumping without reason). For a judicial review of the super's decision, you currently go to the High Court. There's no intermediate step :(
    The new CJB should move that to the District Court, which would be an interesting step.

Riggser wrote:

Yes, it has happened before that the local super was taken to court, then the high court. We one the first case then they appealed.

The guards wanted to view the premisis for a second time, which isn't a requirment in the first place.

Advertisement