Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kerr on Late Late tonight

• 14-10-2005 9:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭

Just heard this... think it's true.
    I wonder if Cunningham or any other players will be there to support him.
    Will be interesting if he still takes the whole "it's in the FAIs hands now" or if he goes further to defend himself.
    Should be interesting...

(just saw your post about this eireboy in other thread... worthy of a new thread I think anyway)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

If it is it's probably the only time I'll ever watch that boring piece of tripe that is The Late Late zzzzzz show. I can't see Kenny putting any real testing questions for Kerr. Oh how could we do with the return of Dunphy's show for one night only! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Shsssh Shels Infidel god will be speaking....

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Kerr confirmed to be on show by Pat himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Good stuff. Can someone post a message when he's on. Don't want to have to watch Westlife who are on at the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Just tuned into this tripe myself...talking about Louis Walshe and other fasanating content :rolleyes:

I'll keep an eye on it and post when Kerr is on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Maybe Louis Walsh should be manager.... if he can take 5 muppets and make world stars of them, can he do it with 11?

:p

I think this is a brave decision by Kerr though - will be interesting if Pat lets any of the audience throw a few questions out.
    I also wonder if they get a phone call from a certain Corkman backing him ;)
    That'd make things very interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

whiskeyman wrote:
    Maybe Louis Walsh should be manager.... if he can take 5 muppets and make world stars of them, can he do it with 11?

lol

:D:D:D:D

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Lemlin wrote:
    Good stuff. Can someone post a message when he's on. Don't want to have to watch Westlife who are on at the minute.
    I assume he'll have Kerr on towards the end so presumably after eleven. Presumably long after the interview with what looked like (on my flick past) that sister of Joan Collins wot writes the bukes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

On now.

whiskeyman wrote:

LoL...Good One. :D

My god I can't believe I sat through the crap that is the late late, (well in the background anyway). But he's on now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Why can he not be man enough to stand up and say that his tactics and decisions were ****e? Mistakes I can tolerate, but hiding behind the players and worst of all, saying that the swiss were good?pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Watching now shoudl be interesting .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

seems emotional

bit of a dig there at his critics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Ive a massive respect for this guy.. more so now than I did this morning. He's a realist, and dosnt have the players.

So far he is showing his passion and his commitment and no one can knock that.

"can ya help me out, what did you do to my players?" - fergi

true he is doing that by the bucket load

nothing too unexpected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

He can sayall he wantsbut he skirted the facts. He fooked up and cant admit it. He might not have great players, but he did nowhere near the best with what he had. A bit of honesty is all I'm after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Stekelly wrote:
    A bit of honesty is all I'm after.

It seems that if he sees things different, he's not honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Came across very well.
    Still doesnt excuse some of his decisions though.
    I dont know... In a way I'd like to see him have another go and bring in a lot more young players and groom them for Euro 08... but I just dont want a repeat of this last campaign.
    Either way, I still respect him highly.

it wasn't going to be a dunphy esque interview, it was a little bit of an easy one, he didn't lie he just see's it in tones of grey

Interview just over , I was one of the very few people that said at the start keep him in the job. I still feel the same after tis interview , he handled himself brilliant and rattled kenny a few times , he showed his passion and his commitment and at the end of the day he was right , McCarthy Charlton did not live in Ireland and were not under the media pressure he is.

I loved the comment about giles , brady , stating that both had tried their hand at management FAILED , but now they know everything. Brady at glasgow celtic is the only comment i have to make here . It justifys the statement.

He wants another crack at the whip he is more hungry then ever before and i fimly believe that he will do the job. he has the passion , commitment and i firmly believe he has the respect of all the players with the exception of robbie keane , who really does need to get his head screwed on.

I'd be very disappointed if the FAI get rid of brian. I really hope he stays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

That was the response of a man who has been vilified in the print and broadcast media, and abused by so called Irish "fans" for far too long, and I say good luck to him. Brian's been a punching bag for hacks since last Saturday, so it was good to see him bite back.

For the record, I don't think he should have his contract renewed, not because of the mistakes he made through this WC campaign (and he made plenty) but because the senior squad needs to be rebuilt and reshaped, which will take at least four years. Nothing Kerr would do in the next two years would please the boo boys (short of topping our group in the Euro qualifiers, and NOBODY can do that with the resources available).

I'd like to see a four year appointment for his successor so that work can begin now on rebuilding the team, with qualification for WC 2010 as the aim.

true he seemed a nice chap, but its time for fresh meat into the grinder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Anyone got a recording of this? Can't believe I missed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

cheesedude wrote:
    Anyone got a recording of this? Can't believe I missed it.

I think its repeated Monday night if you can wait until then.

• Advertisement

didn't miss too much

daveirl wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

I agree.

I think people who reitterate their respect for him is obvious, I mean the man deserves a lot of respect, as I've said before, he deserved his shot at the job, and he got it, and in 8 attempts, he's still failed to beat any of the teams in direct competition to a playoff/group winner place, and if he had managed to win any single one of those 8 games, we have have gotten at least a playoff place in the relevant group.

Notoresly soft interview by Pat Kenny.
    He didn't grill him on what went wrong, ask him about the Israel games, to justify his tactical switches, and conservatisim...and did he not learn from his mistakes of Switzerland and Russia, and the first Israel game for that matter.

Ask him why, with 5 minutes left in the world cup, did he sub off a striker and leave 4 at the back?

Why he plays a long ball up to Robbie Keane and Clinton Morrison, instead of playing footaball. (And, as in every match, when it didn't work, instead of changing the approach, he'd bring on Ginger pele.....because he's tall and nothing else.)

Ask him what has he done wrong in the job so far? I'd be interested to see how much he'd give away in that one.

He's been great for Irish football and I still greatly respect him, but he's had his shot, and now it's time to move on.

Here's an interesting point for you though, that just occured to me while writing this.
    Have you noticed in the last....5 managers perhaps (and feel free to correct if im wrong) Johhny Giles, Eoin Hand, Jack Charlton, Mick McCarthy and Brian Kerr (and probably a large amount of the managers before that) All of them were appointed to the Irish Job with absolutely no management experience what so ever at top flight football...they were all the cheapest options of the time, some of them had a failed management track record at a lower level (Charlton & McCarthy) and all of them learnt their trade in the Irish job!! :eek:

Granted they got the ropes as they went along, McCarthys 3 campaigns comprised of 2 play-offs and a finals, Charlton got 3 finals and a play off, Kerr going into his 3rd campaign has failed to even reach a play-off and has got us our worst group finishing position in over 20 years, but we've never by passed the mandatory 1 or 2 failed campagins before we qualify for something, so the manager can learn....how to manage.

This is for you FAI lads if you're reading:
    How about next time we try and get someone who has at least managed before. :rolleyes:

interesing, didn't charlton have a bit of experience? you'd think giles would have been better having played (just like charlton) for revie (who fluffed the england job), was in paddy power today, o'leary is fav, i put a 5er on aldo at 12/1 i liked the odds, bob robson is 16/1 quinner and that were mentioned keano was 6/1 (i think)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

no questioning his passion for the job, but he doesnt have the tactical clout, or the ability to get the best out of what little bit he has to work with

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I keep changing my mind between he should stay or he should go. On the one hand he made some brutal mistakes which easily justify him going (imho), on the other hand if he learns from his mistakes he could improve and do better next time round, as DubGuy mentioned "we've never by passed the mandatory 1 or 2 failed campagins before we qualify for something", so keeping him could be better than bringing in a new manager.

I'd like to have seen him own up to having made a few mistakes and maybe mention how he would address them if given the chance, but then again at the management level in Irish soccer (as in any other sport here) things get very, very political, and he's already had so much criticism in the media, that he probably can't just come out and say what he really feels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Sarge wrote:
    I loved the comment about giles , brady , stating that both had tried their hand at management FAILED , but now they know everything. Brady at glasgow celtic is the only comment i have to make here . It justifys the statement.

I'm glad he said it.

For me the problem has now become can we get a better manager than Brian Kerr? I don't think that he should sacked unless the FAI have a manager of proven superior ability contracted.

Also, I think people's expectations are becoming higher than what realistically we can achieve. I agree performances weren't what I expected either BUT is it because we think Duff is Ronaldinho and Keane is Shevchenko? Radically structure changes need to be made to improve the standard of Irish footballers, the FAI should be focussing more on this more regardless of wether Kerr should be sacked or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

What im worried about is, if the players didnt pull the finger out for a game that would save the managers job and bring their country to the world cup finals, why in a years time would anything change. Kerr gives me the feeling of a guy who picks the team and prays to a higher god, hoping for a winning rather than planning on one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Hardly any of the people who went for the job had managerial experience when Kerr got it. Kerr had more experience than both Frank Stapleton and Bryan Robson in my book.

Perhaps Philippe Troussier was the man for the job but Kerr was the man the people wanted and you can't blame the FAI for going with him at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Paddy Power odds for those interested:

9/4 M O NEILL____20 G BURLEY
    4 D O LEARY _____20 T VENABLES
    12 J ALDRIDGE____20 G GRAHAM
    14 J KINNEAR_____20 B KIDD
    14 R KEANE_______20 Br ROBSON
    14 C HUGHTON_____25 L BRADY
    16 Bo ROBSON_____25 K DAGLISH
    16 A FERGUSON____25 R WHEALAN
    18 P REID________25 K KEEGAN
    20 D GIVENS______25 P TROUSSIER
    20 O REHHAGEL____33 R HOUGHTON

o'leary was fav yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

blu_sonic wrote:
    o'leary was fav yesterday
    I read that he has ruled himself out. He said he would be interested in the future but not now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Shamrok wrote:
    Paddy Power odds for those interested:

9/4 M O NEILL____20 G BURLEY
    4 D O LEARY
    MON was 11/2 yesterday...

O'Leary had no other option but to say he's not interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Lemlin wrote:
    Hardly any of the people who went for the job had managerial experience when Kerr got it. Kerr had more experience than both Frank Stapleton and Bryan Robson in my book.

Perhaps Philippe Troussier was the man for the job but Kerr was the man the people wanted and you can't blame the FAI for going with him at the time.

very good point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Has Martin O' Neill made any statement on the job, because its only a couple of months since he quit Celtic for his sick wife and I doubt it very much he'll take any job if she's still sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

We have plenty of time to find a new manager. So i wouldnt pay any attention to the people who are denying interest. O'leary is in a bit of a pickle at villa, there not doing to weel at the minute. They have a derby match tomorrow against b'ham. If he came out a said he was interested and lost tomorrow he would look like a clown.

Since hes in management he has to deny interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

did anyone else pick up in the interview that Kerr seemed to think that it was "Theiry Henry's moment of brillance" that prevented Ireland from qualifying? I would have tought that it was us, or rather him, throwing away the win against Iseral on both oscassions?

Whatever you say about Kerr thou he showed great passion in the interview. Well done to him in the interview but it doesn't make up for him been a poor tactical manager during this campaign.

did anyone else pick up in the interview that Kerr seemed to think that it was "Theiry Henry's moment of brillance" that prevented Ireland from qualifying? I would have tought that it was us, or rather him, throwing away the win against Iseral on both oscassions?

Whatever you say about Kerr thou he showed great passion in the interview. Well done to him in the interview but it doesn't make up for him been a poor tactical manager during this campaign.

agreed 100%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Someone else might be able to confirm this but according to yesterdays Star Kerr is even wrong about that.

"Had last month's Dublin tie ended in a draw and all the other matches stayed the same,Israel would have won the group with Switzerland 2nd,Ireland up to 3rd and France 4th"

Seven Worlds will Collide

yeah we wouldn't have gone through anyway, i think kerr means that it was the only thing that seperated the top four from each other having played each other, as opposed to taking into account the goal dif aginst faro and cyprus

Advertisement