Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drawing Classes

• 14-10-2005 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭

Anyone know of any art nightclasses in Dublin, preferably city centre or north side. Basically I'm a scribbler, for some reason, I always have a pen or pencil in my hand and just start doodling, but I would like to be able to sketch people or even characatures of people. Would like to learn some good techniques as to how, such as shading.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

There's a Life Drawing class in the Trinity art building (beside Pearse DART station) on Tuesday nights, 7pm to 9pm. Not sure on cost but I believe it's €7 a session, could be wrong though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Oldfatcat

I dont know any evening course.. but last year I attended the National gallery s courses on saturdays from 11 till 1 and I must say it helped me evolving...
    Now it s going to be too late for you to start the 1st session but they do another session early January...12 courses, 12 weeks.
    You have different teachers and you learn by "copying" paintings from the gallery with different objectives each time (give light to your drawing, creating textures, squetching etc) ... I started with a very precise idea of what i wanted to achieve in the end.. And i ended up learning stuffs I did not even think about.. it really helped me to open my mind and the way it s organised helps you to learn from others as well because there s a lot of communication between everyone..
    I think i paid around 130 euros the 12 courses and it was more than worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Oldfatcat

There's a Life Drawing class in the Trinity art building (beside Pearse DART station) on Tuesday nights, 7pm to 9pm. Not sure on cost but I believe it's €7 a session, could be wrong though.

I heard about it too.. but the person who attending those classes was pretty dissappointed.. too many people (cause it s quite cheap per class) for not enough teachers.. she was almost doing the same thing as she did at home and did not learn much from it.

The best way to learn is ... as far as i experienced... when someone asks you to do something you are not used to, asks you to do things in a different way...otherwise you keep repeating your own mistakes and get more and more narrow minded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

im actually a tcd student myself and i went to the pottery class (which was quite small), i never went to the drawing classes but i know that they do life drawing twice a week and painting on a friday evening. id say the friday evening class would be quite quiet as friday isn't really a good day for most students especially those returning to the country etc.
    they also do masks and stuff like that for halloween.

have you tried NCAD for classes? they have a pretty good selection and very good for getting you to experiment with mediums etc, i would recommend them as a friend of mine siad they we're pretty good. http://www.ncad.ie/faculties/education/cead_short.shtml i think they do evening classes aswell, get them to send you ther're brochure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭d-arke

SNORLAX wrote:
    have you tried NCAD for classes? they have a pretty good selection and very good for getting you to experiment with mediums etc, i would recommend them as a friend of mine siad they we're pretty good. http://www.ncad.ie/faculties/education/cead_short.shtml i think they do evening classes aswell, get them to send you ther're brochure.

Good stuff, I think I might just be doing that. I'm a complete beginner, don't really want to be getting into painting, though can't say I never will!! Could be fun...and messy!!!

Thanks for all the advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

no problem :) NCAD do a few different courses and normally they'd use all sorts of mediums; like pencil, charcoal, pastels etc if you like experimenting. id say the quality of teaching is pretty good they're as it's a third level instuition, you could ask which course would be most suited to you, maybe send them an email or something.

you could try daycourses.com or nightcourses.com http://www.nightcourses.com/search.html?query=art&county=Dublin&submit=Go&from_page=main&index=1, they often have a good selection too, the trick is making sure that they'res a good teacher as they have the power to motivate you and improve your technique. maybe NCAD could even advise you of courses done near your locality if you rang them as they train student art teachers.

Advertisement