Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LASIK clinics in Dublin

• 15-10-2005 12:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this has come up before but I can't find it on a search..

*Laser Eye Surgery*

I'm thinking of having it done and have to choose between two clinics, one of which is quite expensive (Blackrock) and the other (Optilase) seems to be more cheaper.

Has anyone had LASIK done in either of these places? What have your experiences been? Was there any side effects?

I'm very interested in people's experiences of Optilase because it's not as well established as the other clinic and it seems to be a lot cheaper by comparison... Why is there such a price difference? :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

search lasik

anyway...

wellington clinic is where i had lasik done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭biofreak

There is a place where people can leave comments on various Laser Eye Surgery Clinics all over Ireland on the irishhealth website here http://www.irishhealth.com/?level=4&id=4220 and both Blackrock and Optilase are mentioned a few times. People who have used Optilase seem to be very satisfied with the service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Metrobest

Thanks Bio. Interesting discussion there. I think I'll try optilase - has anyone on this forum been treated there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Husband got his done in Mater private about 2 years ago. V. pleased with results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

Enii wrote:
    Husband got his done in Mater private about 2 years ago. V. pleased with results.
    Check the doctors who do this to make sure they are qualified professionals, there are many stories of less than qualified people undertaking elective work, particularily plastic surgery. The medical council of ireland has an online register to check any doctor working here......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

looks like Vivas health are the first health insurers, to cover eye surgery, to the tune of 1000 euro http://www.vivashealth.ie/membernews.html
    and you can still claim tax back...
    hmm so for those paying 20% , and if the procedure with optilase costs 3 grand, then am i right in saying that it can be brought down to 1600 ( assuming that tax is taking off after 1000 health cover...) ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Done in Blackrock Clinic in 2001 by Dr. Will Power. No problems. Very professional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Mhiceal

hi i had it done in optilase over two weeks ago and have to say was one of my best decisions ive made.the surgery was a huge sucess i can finally see without my glasses for first time in my life. wud recommend optilase to anyone thinking of getting surgery.they were very professional:) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Metrobest

Congratulations Mhiceal, I'm delighted it went so well. I'm have decided firmly to go ahead with the procedure; in which clinic I'm not sure. Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

www.lasikdisaster.com

I had planned for years to get laser surgery on my eyes, because I was sick of the hassle of glasses and contact lenses. But after a bit of research, it turns out there can be nasty side-effects, which are actually very common, and you really need to get a few consultations first. Have a good look at that site before you go ahead with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭incisor71

RuggieBear wrote:
    Wellington clinic is where i had lasik done
    Like RuggieBear, I got LASIK done on both eyes in the same place, just last week (Thurs 20th Oct). They were very professional and thorough, explained everything, provided answers for every query and concern. Well worth the extra money (it's €100 for the initial consultation, €2050 per eye) for the peace of mind of knowing I was in good hands.

It's only been a week, but I'm very pleased with the results so far. Just tonight I made a welcome return to the gym and could hardly get over the amount of extra detail in the surroundings, something I missed totally on previous visits (because of not wearing glasses). The awkward thing at this stage is some fluctuation in vision, and night driving is still something of a strain due to glare/shimmer (but it's supposed to get easier week by week).

Regarding the tax rebate, I found out that Taxback, the same folks that process tax refunds for those who have worked abroad, also process tax refunds for those who shelled out money for laser treatment during the tax year. There is also a MED-1 form available on the Government website. Not sure which method is the more straightforward of the two, but I'll ask my older brothers (all three are chartered accountants) how to go about it and will pass on the details to anyone who wants it, if interested.

Advertisement