Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bidpay?

• 15-10-2005 12:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Im currently looking at buying some stuff from the states but in the payment options the buyer only accepts bidpay,wire transfare or check.

Im just wondering how safe/unsafe is bidpay?Seller has 100% positive feedback also says he's a squaretrade verified seller(whats that?)

The items are coming to over 1000e so im slightly wary by bot paying thru paypal but can anyone offer any advice?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Has he accepted paypal before? Has he been selling this sort of item before? If you ask him a question through ebay does he reply or has he put his email address in the listing? It could be a hijacked account.

Personally i'm very wary of sending money via anything other than paypal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

eireal wrote:
    Hi
    Im currently looking at buying some stuff from the states but in the payment options the buyer only accepts bidpay,wire transfare or check.

Im just wondering how safe/unsafe is bidpay?Seller has 100% positive feedback also says he's a squaretrade verified seller(whats that?)

The items are coming to over 1000e so im slightly wary by bot paying thru paypal but can anyone offer any advice?
    Thanks

I've used BidPay before. I found it a bit awkward but it's reliable.Who's the seller?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭5500

I emailed him thru ebay and he's replied thru that.Ive emailed him there asking will he accept paypal,his username is thereisonlynow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

YOU pay fees with bidpay. Thats why sellers like it
    THEY pay fees with paypal. Thats why sellers dont like it.

I would offer to pay the paypal fees, I think they are usually less than bidpays

Cheers,i just checked bidpay and they wont accept fee's over 1000dollars (this comes to 1400) so thats that in the bin anyways

• Advertisement

Just further to this i told the seller i couldnt pay via bidpay and asked could i pay thru paypal,He said ok and then sent me a paypal bill(so he was propositioning a sale outside of ebay)

I asked him if he could relist the item as i would only buy if it was thru ebay to which he said he would but he would have to add on an extra 100dollars to cover ebay and paypal fees(is he allowed do that)

At the same time i had recieved an email from square trade saying that this seller was not registered with them and it could be a fraud(even tho when i look his id up on there site now it says he is registered)so i sent ebay an email to see if they could check if it was an account hijack but ive had no reply of yet.

Basically im wondering am i safe and covered to buy as the items listed on ebay and going thru paypal or can i still be stung?The seller is quick to reply to emails and seems helpfull but for some reason i just feel wary

Here's a link to his username - http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=thereisonlynow&iid=6812177518&frm=1728

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

report him to eBay he's definitely acting suspicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

agreed.
    100 bucks for a relisting!
    report this seller!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Plus I believe its against the rules for a seller to charge you more than the fee you won the auction for.

I didnt actually win the auction,he has relisted it but of yet i havnt paid for it
    I mailed ebay about it two days ago but no reply from them as of yet

Just to clarify that he relisted it at 100dollars extra because i was paying via paypal,if i had been paying thru bidpay or wire transfare there was no additional fee.Roughly what would his paypal/ebay fees be on an item for 1200 dollars?

• Advertisement

I didnt buy from him in the end,He's been sending me emails since which ive forwarded to ebay.I had emailed ebay asking was it safe to buy from him and they said they cant give you information to use escrow if i was worried - useless customer service.

I did buy from him like a fool. Out $1200!!!!!! What the hell can i do now. I wanna find him an give him a taste of my knuckles

**now kids. Look at this user.
    1 post. nice. Oh, look; he happens to have bought off the same user as the original poster. Lets pm him and ask what did he do in his situation....
    WRONG!
    The idea is that you pm him, and you both seethe with rage over the seller. after a while he may give you details of his (and possibly others) dealings with the seller. Hoping that you may provide him with some details of yourself. Social engineering, folks. Using these, he could try to get money/goods for himself.

In other words, the user above is phishing.
    I leave this post here, unlike others I have deleted, so that you can see for yourselves how they work.

Excuse my ignorance but i dont quite understand your above post.

I actually recived a pm off the poster first which said
    "Don't buy anything from thereisonly now. He ripped me and many others off. I lost $1660. I googled his username and found this board where you had posted about him. We are trying to gather info in order to take legal action"

I replie asking what happened in his situation to which he said

"I purchased 2 MK2's from him on the 24th. I wired him $1660 (stupid on my part, but he seemed trustworthy) right after I got back from the bank he got his first neg feedback. Then after that he got a second neg feedback for fraud. I tried calling his number which previously worked, and it was disconnected. He stopped returning my emails as soon as I told him I sent payment. I went to the bank today to try to reverse the wire transfer, but they hadn't even put it through yet. I got all my money back. I'm so happy. I'm not ever going to buy anymore DJ equipment on ebay, that's for sure"

And that was it,no trying to get any details out of me.Actually when i then checked the sellers details on ebay who i was going to buy from,right enough he had 2negative feedback remarks after popping up and suddenly put his feedback to private.

Was the above poster actually "phishing" are genuine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

well now he's "no longer a registered user", definately do not buy from him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Ocsidance

Hi,

I am Dennis Hahn (username on ebay = ocsidance) and I have been scammed too I think by “ thereisonlynow” .

I made a wire transfer because I thought because of his good feedback, I could pay in that way. I also contacted him in the past about some other equipment and he was very nice.

I contacted him and he replied I should have mentioned “ for further credit to Bel Lim Acc#....)
    Because I did not do that, he told me the money was probably gone. After repeating my emails on and on he told me he had contacted his bank and I should get a refund within 5 working days (that was today at the latest). Haven’t seen any money yet, 1750USD for 2 pioneer cdj-1000MK2’s!!!

I also noted he posted a lot of them the last (2) week(s)

I truly hope I get my money back!

Anyone with the same story, please SHARE!
    How can we deal with this guy?

He indeed put both his phones out and changed his emailaddress!
    After I send the money, I think about the 2nd of November, he made himself an unregistered ebay seller…….very strange!!!

Share…..share……

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 vanpunkman

hi dennis and all,

i was also ripped off by "ben lim" recently. i bought two denon dn-s3500's that i have no expectation of ever seeing. my ebay username is vanpunkman. my understanding from reading other horror stories on ebay is that ebay does jack **** to help people who have been defrauded. i have bought several other bigger ticket items on ebay without incident previously and have already written this off, though i am going through the incredibly confusing and cumbersome complaint process. i don't think i have any additional info on the seller but would be interested in being part of any kind of class action complaint/legal action.

i can also be emailed at kingofliss@hotmail.com.

all the best,
    mike

:mad: Hi Mike and others,

I am still in contact with Bel Lim as I am trying to arrange that If I get the refund, I am willing to purchase more of them (NOT of course).

I made a mistake in the wire transfer and hope, this will, in the end, be positive for me.

I transferred the amount to the US Bank account and forgot to mention in the description of the transfer “ for further credit to Ben Lim Acc# … ” .

He told me I was going to get a refund from the bank within 5 business days….. I am still waiting but don’t think I will receive it.

I don’t know how many people were scammed, but I think at least 10. As I said, I found it strange he posted so many pioneer cdj-1000 MK2’s the last week or so.

Long story short:
    AT THE END YOU CAN TRUST NO ONE ON EBAY! At least not with wire transfer, I will only transfer through paypal in the future as I did with all my other items I won on ebay.

This guy had a very positive feedback and thought is was OK to make a transfer. Anyone besides Mike and me, please share, so we perhaps can take action. If I lived near you guys, I would have try to find him for 1750USD!

Kind regards,
    Dennis
    deejayocsi@hotmail.com

Well,

You never guess…..
    Because I made the mistake of not mentioned on the wire transfer “ for further credit to Ben Lim Acc # …), I got the amount refunded today. I am so happy for my self! I feel very bad about the ones who were scammed and did NOT see there product or money back!

HERE IS HIS NEW EMAILADDRESS:
    THEREISONLYNOW@INBOX.COM

He received emails from me yesterday so the ones who have been scammed, just keep sending him emails! Now I will break contact with him and never say a word!

Feel free to ask questions….

Kind regards,
    Dennis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 vinylvortex

Hi!

I was also defrauded by "ben lim".
    Please feel free to email me at electronic-vinylvortex@web.de if you have any suggestions.

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Feet

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    **now kids. Look at this user.
    1 post. nice. Oh, look; he happens to have bought off the same user as the original poster. Lets pm him and ask what did he do in his situation....
    WRONG!
    The idea is that you pm him, and you both seethe with rage over the seller. after a while he may give you details of his (and possibly others) dealings with the seller. Hoping that you may provide him with some details of yourself. Social engineering, folks. Using these, he could try to get money/goods for himself.

In other words, the user above is phishing.
    I leave this post here, unlike others I have deleted, so that you can see for yourselves how they work.

WTF! That was my post you numpty! Get a grip mate, not everyone is a fraudster although i'm starting to think that way myself.

Got frauded by thereisonlynow too, fellow DJ's :) Bought two Denon DN-S3500's and a DJM-909 mixer luckily like a guy above part of my money never got through to him on the wire-transfer $1000 of it anyways. Still lost $1200 of it though through Bidpay. Can your credit card company protect you for this? What have you all tried. We need to take action. Heres my buys.

username: feet_maestro
    email: webmaster@feetsinferno.com
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7359965898
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7359913495

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 vinylvortex

here are the articles he sold within the last 30 days:

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?MfcISAPICommand=ViewListedItems&since=30&userid=thereisonlynow&include=0&rows=50&sort=3&completed=1

maybe one can get his real adress, if one asks eBay sellers who have sold articles to thereisonlynow. i will try to do this, would be great if you would also have a try.

Regards

Thread locked.
    This forum is simply for advice on how to shop online.Advice has been sought and given on the appropriate action to take.

Re: phishing, perhaps you are perhaps you aren't. Irrelevant now anyways.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement