Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Where should I put the in-line fuse? (Fog lights)

Options
  • 15-10-2005 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

I was wondering where should I put the in-line fuse for my foglights?

My setup is... Live from the battery to relay, live from relay to fogs.

So, should I put it between the battery and the relay, or between the relay and the actual fogs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

It makes little difference as the current at any point in a series circuit is the same as at any other point (cos electrons can't practically escape the wire), but it would blow a tiny fraction sooner if put between the battery and relay, so stick it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Cheers,
    From a physics point of view I know it makes little difference... It's the NCT im thinking about (Next week) :)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Just thinking about it a bit more, it's definitely better nearer the positive terminal of the battery, as in a vehicle even the wiring to the appliance being protected could chaff (due to vibration) and short to the chassis (or something else) causing an effective short circuit across the battery terminals which could easily result in a fire (assuming negative earth vehicle). If the fuse was after the point of chaffing the short would not be protected against, so to minimise risk, the closer to the battery the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

That does make sense actually... Just wired it up there so unless theres a short in the wire between the battery and fuse (15cm) I should be safe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Put it between the battry and the relay. If you put it between the N/O (87)contact of the relay and the lights and for whatever reason the N/C (87a) contact of the relay gets shorted you are going to burn wires of draing the battery.
    thus by placing it before the relay and close tot he battery, the relay & wiring has more complete protection.

• Advertisement
Advertisement