Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Programming games

Options
  • 16-09-2001 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Theyll be selling blitz3d at www.blitzbasic.com in a few days for anyone who doesn't know it. It uses a basic like language which is surprising im sure but with modifications like types and pointers.
    Looks good it might even beas good as it looks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Actually I haven't heard about that one pertinax, but I did hear about one called Dark Basic about a year or two ago (I think). I checked it out and apparently you can go and create all your Half Life and Quake clones in no time, with it's simplistic syntax and analysis tools. Jeez I sound like a salesman.

Anyway it's worth a look if you are in to that kind of thing. But the word BASIC scares me away, coz instantly I think of poor game performance when coded using simple tools. IMO ;)

TBH I think C++ and a platform specific GDI is fastest. Others may critisize but it doesn't bother me, coz I'm always open to new suggestions and reasons why their ideas are better than mine. ;)

Dark BASIC Web Site

Enjoy,

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Stuff like Dark Basic is generally a C-based 3D engine ready for you to play with, but the commands are deliberately made very similar to BASIC so that anyone can get working with it with the minimum of fuss.

I messed about with DB a bit in college, and once you get the basics (no pun intended) figured out, you can have a textured terrain matrix and mouse/keyboard controlled object onscreen within 5 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Sounds Good if it's using a C engine. I not really in to games programming that much, but a friend of mine is making a game for his FY degree. AFAIK he is using C++ to do it, but at this early stage, if anything can make his life easier, he will go with it.

But then again, it's not something I would completely overlook either. It's just that all I see is a lot of wannabe programmers who want to make games. I personally don't think you should limit yourself like that. I admit to being a hypocrit a few years back. But thankfully I have taken an interest in to things like n-tier distributed business models using core Java technologies etc. That's where the money seem to be anyway.

Cheers,

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭pertinax

yeah i saw dark basic and tried it out its ok if a tad slow for the likes of a halflife or quake clone. The crowd that made it were obiviously were pushing the truth a bit. Maybe this new one ill be better but if its not its back to c++ :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

C++ ownz but has everyone forgot ASM....the bullet of programming.

• Advertisement
Advertisement