Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless ADSL2 Router for Smart

• 15-10-2005 2:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭

I was thinking of getting a wireless router/adsl modem for use with SmartBroadband. Found the following on komplett.ie and was wondering if anyone has any good/bad experiences with it. Price looks ok.

Billion 7202G Wireless ADSL/2+ Router

Thanks a lot....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

An alternative router might be this one

Linksys WAG354G

http://www1.linksys.com/international/product.asp?coid=18&ipid=764

I picked up one of these as an alterative to the aolynk and the connection has been rock solid ever since.

€99 in argos.

No idea about the billonton router.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Another linksys worth considering is the wag54gs, Its about 120 euros in Argos but the wireless coverage is excellent if that might be an issue for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭opus

Thanks for the advice, I picked up the WAG354G in Argos. Working fine so far :)

After working without a glitch for two weeks, the WAG354G router was disconnected when I came home this evening. Everything works except that it can't bring the DSL connection up. Put back on the Aolynk router and it connected no problem so assuming the router has bit the dust. Bit worring to see it die so soon but guess Argos will just replace it for me. :(

I presume you unplugged it for about 30 seconds or so and then plugged it back in?

I noticed an occasional instance of it disconnecting every few weeks if there was a lot of activity on it for a long period of time. DSL looked disconnected as well.

I just unplugged and plugged it back in. Came straight back up.

If not then that does sound like more of a problem.

Hope its just something like that.

• Advertisement

Indeed! And that even worked the first time it disconnected. But the second time looks to be for good as there was no way to get it back connected again :(

I'll drop it back to Argos today and see if I can get a replacement. Guess with these things if they are going to die it will be in the first few weeks.

Bugger, sorry to hear that. I hope you have some luck with returning it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Tony H

thats one of the better things about argos , they exchange broken stuff with no hassle , even if you just change your mind about something you can get your money back up to 16 days

Indeed they replaced it without a question. Of course the new one behaved in exactly the same way, i.e. not working!

So I posted on the Smart Support Forum and got an almost immediate reply suggesting checking the settings etc. Now I knew there was no problem there cause it had worked already so I replied I would plug back in the Linksys box and leave it for the rest of the day for them to check the connection on their side.

Of course when I plugged it back in, it connected immediately! Now I didn't change anything so maybe they made some change or maybe it's just one of those things :confused:

Anyway it's working now so hopefully will stay that way.

Defintely check out the support forums if you any problems, they were super fast!

Advertisement