Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using another phone on 3

• 15-10-2005 3:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Does anyone know if 3 allows you to use your 3 sim card in another sim free 3G phone bought somewhere else. I know if you use your 3 sim card in a 2G phone they will blacklist it but is it the same with a 3G phone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

they dont blacklist it it just doesnt work. ive used a 3 uk phone (mot c975) with no problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use it in another phone ... blacklist it for use in a 2G ? Where'd you see this ?

3 only deal in 3g phones so its bad business for their sim cards to work in non 3g phones. they made it so they dont

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭gearbox

do they definatly blacklist 2g phones.... it would explain allot, i put my 3 sim into my sim free 6230i and it worked for about 2hours then.... blank no service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

I was wondering this as well -- When I was on O2, they were so slow with introducing new handsets that I never upgraded with them, and just got sim free phones online instead.

So a 3G sim free phone won't work on 3 then? :confused:

• Advertisement

TCamen wrote:
    I was wondering this as well -- When I was on O2, they were so slow with introducing new handsets that I never upgraded with them, and just got sim free phones online instead.

So a 3G sim free phone won't work on 3 then? :confused:

yes it will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

Can you access all the services on a sim-free 3G that hasn't been setup by 3 i.e just use the web access button instead of having the triangle key and get everything working the same way - email, downloads etc.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭Genghis

3 only deal in 3g phones so its bad business for their sim cards to work in non 3g phones. they made it so they dont

Well it would be business, not bad business (and with such a small base of customers, they are in no position to voluntarily turn back business). I would say Vodafone forces them to block 2G phones under the terms of their roaming agreement for 2G coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I would say Vodafone forces them to block 2G phones under the terms of their roaming agreement for 2G coverage.

I'm not even sure it's that. In the UK and elsewhere, they do much the same. I think it's the simple fact that they want to be a "pure" 3G network, and to ensure they, they lock out any 2G usage.

TCamen wrote:
    Can you access all the services on a sim-free 3G that hasn't been setup by 3 i.e just use the web access button instead of having the triangle key and get everything working the same way - email, downloads etc.?

you'd have to get the settings the same way you would for gprs settings on a 2g phone. it wouldn't work right away

• Advertisement
Advertisement